Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

I'm strongly considering moving to Costa Rica...

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited March 2019 in Off Topic

I'm 62, divorced, no children and I retired early for health reasons. I feel like I'm just waiting for the end now. I need to shake things up and Costa Rica seems like a bit of paradise for somebody who's into that sort of stuff.

Anyway, I'm looking for input, do you have any experience in Central America ? I'm looking at The Central Valley, it's in the 70s there year round.

Comments

• Options
    dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

Some might argue that it’d be better if ESPN wasn’t available...

• Options

I'm sure I can get ESPN on my computer.

• Options
    MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm in C.R. at this moment...La Fortuna, Arenal Volcano region. Kids' spring break. Pretty sweet. Heading to the hot springs, right now. Adios, amigos!

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beautiful country, great fishing. First world and third world separated by gates and armed guards. Not for everyone, but certainly might provide the adventure you're looking for.

• Options

AnotherDawg I know C.R. isn't rich by US standards, but it's FAR better off than many of it's neighboring countries.

Poverty rate.

C.R. poverty rate, 20%, murder rate 12 per 100,000

Panama. poverty rate 22%, murder rate 10 per 100k

El Salvador. poverty rate 38%, murder rate 83 per 100k

Honduras. poverty rate 61%, murder rate 57 per 100k

Guatamala. poverty rate 59%, murder rate 27 per 100k

Nicaragua. poverty rate 25%, murder rate 7 per 100k

Mexico. poverty rate 43%, murder rate 19 per 100k

U.S. poverty rate 12.3% murder rate 5.3 per 100k

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wasn't criticizing the country. Just stating a fact, having been there. As in many third world countries, secured gates separate the haves from the have-nots. Armed guards are stationed at ATM machines. I thought you were asking for input to help you make a decision?

• Options
    edited March 2019

AnotherDawg. In the U.S a person living below the poverty line has a 340% likelihood to die at a younger age than a wealthy person. In Costa it's just 40%. In the U.S 35% of the poorest are uninsured, in Costa Rica 15% of the poorest are uninsured. The poor in C.R. live in mostly rural areas where fresh fruit, veggies and fish are available to all year round at very low costs. The weather ain't bad for health either. Also, try walking around a wealthy neighborhood in this country while black and/or shabbily dressed

• Options
    senorlorenzosenorlorenzo Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

I’m currently living full-time in the Central Valley city of San Ramon. Email me and I’ll give ya the scoop and answer your questions. ****************

Pura Vida y Vamos Los Perros!

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is there the possibility of renting a place in CR for a few months to see if it's a place you like enough to live permanently?

• Options

DvilleDawg. I plan on taking a 6 month lease and exploring my options. I'll probably rent out my house in Georgia and rent there for the duration. It would make good economic sense.

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds like a good plan. Make sure you have someone you trust keep an eye on your property here. Best of luck to you.

• Options

AnotherDawg. Thanks for your input. I'm just trying to sift through the pros and cons. I'd be all for more equitable capitalism by the way, both here and abroad.

• Options

senorlorenzo. I sent an email to the address you listed, thanks in advance.

If it doesn't show up, let me know.

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Having been there many times over the last 20 years, I'm a Tico at heart and love the place. Reminds me of Georgia from yesteryear in some respects--the people are very friendly. There is a good marketing sign (and true) up in the airport in San Jose: you come to Costa Rica for the beach, but you come back for the mountains. Lovely place imho. But, it does have poverty and they are capitalists and there is economic crime. Also, there are lots of dangerous snakes, spiders and roads, so be careful. Pura Vida!

• Options

Thanks Perro. I've hiked among this country's grizzly bears, alligators, snakes and the like most of my life, so far so good.

• Options
    senorlorenzosenorlorenzo Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

I haven’t seen it yet, and I noticed my typing error, it’s actually ++++++++++++