Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

I'm strongly considering moving to Costa Rica...

124»

Comments

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There would be no crime. The financial union woukd be legit. Why do you think gay marriage is now legal? The case that set the precedent was over retirement benefits, not just some rightful desire to be in love with whomever you please. It’s a real thing. Why do you think the LGBT community wanted legal marriage? It wasnt just so they could wear rings in public and have pictures made together. There are legal financial and medical benefits to be gained.

I expect this to be a growing future trend once dudes figure it out.

• Options
    tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All of the places I listed fall into that category and offer a bigger bang for your buck. The fact that Belize is English speaking and you don't have to deal with panhandlers makes it very nice to me. I lived in Costa Rica and Nicaragua for 5 years

• Options
    how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Was there for two weeks in 2016, great fishing, beautiful country, women are beautiful and sex trade is legal and the rum is cheap.Roads **** and there is some crime but the folks I met mostly liked American expats..you could **** sure do worse and from what you said about feeling like your waiting for the end..Go , go for six months to feel things out or just go now and jump in with both feet... best of luck, either way.

• Options
    amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not going to chime in on the negative posts here. Best of luck @WCDawg

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

could you move to Hawaii instead? I know it's expensive there, but it is beautiful and then you wouldn't have to worry about being an expat

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

tiger. from my research so far it's harder to find good real estate/rental deals in Belize. Some of the countries you listed have far more violent crime than C.R.

Where I see the best packages so far..Costa Rica, Panama and Nicaragua. Nicaragua has an undeserved reputation carry over from The Sandinista days. Heck, even Daniel Ortega got moderate decades ago.

• Options
    bronconagurskibronconagurski Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

26 years retired in costa rica uga GRAD IN 67

SEE site orbitcostarica.com

• Options

real facts about living in costa rica --from someone who lives in Costa Rica for 26 years

$600 month rent in super safe gated secure 2 bed 2 bath condo with olympic pool, lake, tennis, supermarket, restaurants, pharmacy, inside complex

farmers market on weekends 70% less expensive food than publix or kroger

15 mg internet $20 month

120 station cable tv with lots of english channels including SEC network $25 month

private room in private hospital = Northside hospital $250 night

almost all doctors speak english

several malls = best of states in the central valley

most important is climate like hawaii to live without heating and AC in the central valley of escazu, santa ana

i spend $15 month on my cell phone in costa rica 88271314

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

Gas was around $4 per gallon last I checked. I plan on buying a small truck and a 150cc bike. I'll run most of my local errands with the bike in dry weather.

• Options
    DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Have you looked at or considered any part of Europe? Portugal is one of the top places to retire for expats. It isn't as cheap or as warm as Central America/Mexico but the trade off is less crime, great healthcare and lots of cultural stuff to keep you occupied. Lots of British expats live there as well. Temperatures are pretty moderate in the winter. Spain is next door. Madrid has one of the top museums in the world. Plus, the country is European football crazy.

Southern Italy is a spot that I'm considering although more expensive than Portugal.

• Options

DYD. Europe is too far away, I want to be a 200 dollar plane ticket from Atlanta. Also, I want the cool weather and adventure of the mountains in Central America.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

and explains why no Hawaii...that 11 hour flight from nyc to Hawaii was a long one

• Options

Kasay. Hawaii is too pricey and too far away.

• Options

my wife and i were at the local walmart cafeteria this week

i had seafood rice and more french fries than i could eat with cole slaw and cucumber salad and ice tea plus my wife had chicken with some potato veg mix and ice tea and guacamole

total was $9.66 US

property tax on 2 bed condo is around $200 year

those over 65 ride bus for free if not normal price is around 75 cents and bus routes everywhere so yes gas is higher here

see www.orbitcostarica.com for lots of info

• Options

Do what you wish. In the end, I hope you make the best decision for you. I lived and traveled extensively in Central America and Mexico for 5 years. So I'm not just making this up - as some comments alluded to. Remember all cities & areas of countries are not created equal - in America and abroad. You'll get a very different experience in most of Chicago than in San Diego and Mississippi is very different than Montana. (For example, while parts of Mexico are dangerous, San Miguel de Allende is an expat haven and is perfectly safe and well maintained with a colonial Spanish and Mediterranean vibe. There's probably just as many American and Canadians as locals there).

I've had my own Crocodile Dundee experiences and at the same time, felt more endangered during sketchy situations here than I ever have abroad. Israel is another place I like.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 How were you recruited into the CIA? And when are you publishing your book?

• Options
    edited April 2019

Nicaragua, where I spent most of my time, was doing well up until a year ago. Ortega, who the late great Ronald Reagan was 100% right about by the way, unilaterally changed the social security regulations without consulting with the people, his rubber stamping national assembly or business leaders. That decision led to widespread protests against the dictatorial regime itself and the country was scarred by violence, insecurity and human rights violations. The residence of the American ambassador was attacked by members of the Juventud Sandinista, Ortega"s paramilitary thugs, & an American was killed by the same group. The country was then hit by hard hitting and wide ranging sanctions, which have led to an awful economic environment as well as much higher prices.

Before, Ortega walked a fine line between having a dynastic - led kleptocracy , in which he and his stooges plundered the country's economy, but had low tax rates and a bare minimum minimum wage, which was great for businesses, especially of the foreign owned & operated variety. His foreign policy was and is firmly aligned with Caracas, Havana, Moscow and Tehran. America's diplomats begrudgingly accepted this arrangement - up until his heavy handed crackdown on peaceful protesters. Now the Ortega Dynasty'a economy, from tourism to investment, is in shatters and all Daniel can do is clap at Maduro's ridiculous speeches and broadcast TV Venezuela on his channel.

Sad indeed what's going on in Nicaragua. If you're willing to go in that environment with those risks and struggles, your payoff could be enormous if the country bounces back.

Not lecturing you or anything but I know a lot about that country because of my time living there as well as my family still in residence in Managua.

That is all.

• Options