Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Country

DuckDawg25DuckDawg25 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited April 2019 in Off Topic

I grew up with my dads favorite bands, (who I found a love for the dawgs) willie Nelson and the allman brothers. I can sing any song they produced.

Anyways, I love some new country. When I say new country I mean it. My favorite singer is tyler childers but I've found a love for sturgil Simpson.

Yall post your favorite artist. Please dont post a well known fake country artist (luke bryan).

Comments

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

Whiskey Myers, Cody Jinks, Tyler Childers, Whit ey Morgan, Sturgill Simpson, Colter Wall

going to see The Steel Woods next Saturday

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Country music used to ****.its better now

• UgaXforPresidentUgaXforPresident Posts: 275 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've never understood why people exclude artists from being part of a genre of music. It's still that genre, you just don't like their music, no big deal. But maybe someone here can enlighten me. Why is Luke Bryan not a country music artist? What genre is he if not country?

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The whole genre thing can be confusing. One of my all time favorite albums was Ray Charles country music album. I never really think of him as a country artist, but those songs were as country as granny's possum stew.

I don't much like "modern country" - I'll stick with more of the oldies, even Hank Sr as well as George Jones and Merle and such.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I quit listening to country music after Waylon, Willie, and the boys. Also Don Williams.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like Kraus and Stapleton also. Krauss did a good one with Paisley also. Liked what Stapleton did with Timberlake a few years back on a music awards show. Blues

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Grew up on southern rock, saw many of them in concert in Savannah in the 70’s. Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker Band, Charlie Daniels, The Outlaws, Molly Hatchet, Atlanta Rhythm Section, and others. The newer country music reminds me more of the old southern rock than the country music of the 80’s and 90’s. Saw Lynyrd Skynyrd play at Hanner Fieldhouse at Georgia Southern a couple of nights before the plane crash that killed Ronnie Van Zant and others. Like the red dirt music bands out of Texas, got into Whiskey Myers after seeing them playing on the tv show ‘Yellowstone”.

@coastaldawg Charlie Daniel's has played over here at the golf course. Been years ago. He was playing a concert over at GSU, went to Baxley to visit where family grew up, and stopped by the course with wife to play 9 on way back to Statesboro. Got pics in the proshop.

I agree on the new country. Like it better than the old stuff. Grew up listening to it with my dad. His nickname for me was and still is Bocephus.

• RedFiveRedFive Posts: 99 ✭✭✭ Junior

Baxley, that’s close to my hometown. I’m not a huge country fan but I’ll always like Charlie Daniels because he jumped his old ass on a blackhawk and flew out to Fob Caldwell and played for us while we were in Iraq. I listened from a distance, crowds..... but it was great.

• Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This a thousand times and throw in Ward Davis!!! Cody Jinks is my fav!!!

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

Yeah ole Cody is pretty good. At the moment it’s hard to beat Stapleton. The man is just talented like no other. Not really into a bunch of the new stuff. It’s just not my style.

Old school - Tracy Lawrence, Alan Jackson, Coe (before his crazy stuff),& Strait can make a day go by fast. Plus all the others that have been mentioned, but those are my favorites.

Shoot add in John Prine. In spite of ourselves by him is my wife’s song for us. I guess Chris knights trailer tape album is pretty good.

I’m done after this. Eric church and garth put on some of the best live concerts. Not really into their music, but worth the admission to watch them live.

Like Church. Never cared much for Garth for some reason . Do like The Dance by him though

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like some of church. I thought his stuff was better from his earlier days like the song lightning. Have a buddy who writes some stuff for Garth. Super nice guy, but I have never got into him like others.

• DCochranDCochran Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, I'll chime and say that if you don't like Merle Haggard, you don't even know what country music is. lol Yeah, I'm about to turn 50, so I've got some millage on me, but Haggard, Don Williams, George Jones/Straight, Alabama, Anne Murray, even some folk type country like John Denver. That's all real country as far as I'm concerned.

As for groups, the Eagles were the group that could never decide if they wanted to be rock, pop or country....but it didn't matter to us, they'll always be the best group of ANY genre of music IMO.