Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

If you could wipe out one tv show off the face of the Earth. What would it be?

Comments

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

I don't know about any of that... but I know he's rude as hell. I've watched that show a few times and thought "there is no way I'd let him talk to me like that".

P.S. Ignore the WS quote, I have no idea why it's there and it won't let me remove it.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

@Bankwalker The end of your comment concerning Adam Schiff? NOW That's FUNNY!!! It seriously caused my coffee to go straight up through my nose!!! I laughed hard for five minutes straight!!!!

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was watching Andy Griffith the other night at about 4am. Love all of them. Havent seen a Hillbilly’s episode in years, but it was great non-politicized entertainment.

• Options
    RSDawgRSDawg Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is easy, The View, without a doubt.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All time, Lost, just on principle. If you didn't figure out the plot was going to be a dead end by the middle of season one I suggest you have x-rays done of your skull, look for healed drill holes. I suspect your parents had you lobotomized in childhood.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Actually my new vote is The Walking Dead. It was very enjoyable the first few seasons and then really just lost it's way. I've heard the latest season was much better, but I really got to where I just didn't care any more. And Fear the Walking Dead always left me feeling like "You knew this **** the last 4 times you watched it, so why did you watch again?" until I finally stopped which was in the middle of season 2

• Options
    edited April 2019

Yale. There is absolutely no way to make anybody who has been indoctrinated by Fox and worse, alt-right web sites see media with a truly balanced or open mind. It probably started in the early 90s with Limbaugh's ''don't listen to media and ''Rush is right''. His trick was to demand his listeners close their minds then convince them it was just the opposite. The formula is far right 101 today.

• Options

TNG- I agree about The Walking Dead for the most part. I did get interested the season The Governor first showed up though. There's only so much fresh material you can conjure for The Stumbling Stiffs.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Because of Lost, I don't think I've gotten into a single drama series that comes from some of the major networks. Netflix or HBO series are fine, the seem more committed. But Lost was just TV garbage. It went nowhere and was the first show I just stopped watching after the 5th or 6th episode.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Network TV is always just too dumbed down for me for the most part. Very little edge, actors are largely chosen based on beauty without substance.

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

I have to agree on Lost and unfortunately most network “dramas”. I liked Lost at first but the problem with a major network show tends to be the quick hook most of them have combined with the vast number of episodes required.

Having a show on a broadcast network means the constant threat(especially early) of getting cancelled so the writers/show runners have to try to grab and hold onto as many viewers as possible from the jump. There’s no grace period to set up plot points and often when a show is in limbo there will be adjustments on the fly....and there’s really NO way to know how long you have left. Imagine trying to tell a complicated story when you may have to wrap it up at any point.

Add to that the fact that broadcast networks still cling to the model of having 22 episodes a season and having seasons released in the proper “network season” and you often end up with filler episodes. I tried to watch This Is Us to see what everyone was on about, and while it had some ok moments, there were far too many obvious filler hours where they focused on rehashed or boring stuff that did nothing to advance the plot.

The HBO and now most streaming service model is to have fewer episodes and release the season when it’s ready, not when the fall season starts. OR they do the limited series thing where they can get bigger stars as there’s much less of a time commitment. If I’m a talented writer/director/actor I’d probably find it easier to work for an HBO that may cancel my show if it’s a MASSIVE bomb but isn’t going to do it mid season and will allow me to tell a story with nuance. On the other hand if you hit on a network show to the point of syndication you’re probably set for life but I’m convinced that’s a crapshoot.

Edit: one more reason I rarely bother with network dramas:

Back to the quick cancellation thing... Am I the only one who thinks “why bother” when a network show like Lost(or other non procedural show) come out? Do I really want to bother getting invested in plot and characters when the odds are against a new show getting a second season? Despite every network trying to find one for years, there will probably never be another show like Lost that was given so many years to tell it’s convoluted story. Even Lost fanboys will admit that it had some bad seasons and from what I can tell a lot of that was due to the runners often not knowing how much longer they had left and the ensuing money/contract issues.

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

due to a few different shows I only watch a show once it is finished, series finale

between shows that have 2-3 good seasons and then drop to unwatchable or shows that I enjoy and then they get canceled it is just not worth it to me. I watch so little television as is that I don't want to waste time on something that won't be worth it to the end

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

I'm generally the same way. I take some time before I get into a show. Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared burned me there. Loved both of those shows and they were both gone after one season

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was late on Freaks and Geeks but was a fan of Undeclared and was pissed when it got cancelled as well.

• Options
    DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

WCD that is fine if you would please instead read the WSJ and listen to or read Milton Freedman. For Milton YouTube has good segments.

• Options
    edited April 2019

DND. I'm not sure if you're serious about Friedman. Obviously his mind was first rate, but I reject most ridged belief systems when it comes to economics and government. he could be a bit too Ayn Rand like, though his perspective wasn't cartoonish like Rand's was.

That said...sorry about getting off topic folks.