Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Frog Jumping Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For those of you of the literary persuasion, this day comes from Mark Twain's story "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County". In reading some of the history of this day, I learned that the current record for a frog jump is 21 feet, 5 and 3/4 inches - held by Rosie the Ribeter! That's pretty athletic - far surpassing the record at the NFL combine and far better than an average high school girl long jumper. The former is done with a standing start and the latter with a running start.

If frog legs, either jumping or cooked, are not your cup of tea, it's also National Apple Pie Day. Get you some a la mode and chow down. Yummmm.

Comments

• PeachCoDawgPeachCoDawg Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited May 2019

Must have been one of those tree frogs or something of the like. When we had our jon boat out in a pond I was scanning the limbs for cotton mouth (had one fall in the boat another time) and one of those tree frogs jumped on my shoulder. Had to be over 15' away. Next thing I'm doing is climbing back in the boat lol

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We used to love Jumping Frog competitions when I was a kid back in Calaveras County Missouri.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Joshua Braun going to leapfrog his brother and land in Athens

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And if a frog had wings he wouldn’t bump his butt every time he hopped

Lol. I always laughed my a$$ off when my mom would say that to me n my brother growing up.

edited May 2019

Is that where the story by Samuel Clemens is held @WCDawg? I'm a big fan of Twain. He was such a smarta$$. For some reason I had that small tale set in California. Guess I'm losing it...

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

PeachCoDawg. Actually you had it right, Calaveras County is in California. Twain wrote the story during his Virginia City Nevada period. Calaveras County is pretty close to the Tahoe area. My guess is the word Calaveras just sounded good to Twain.