Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm sure he's had a hit in an important spot, but nothing comes to mind.

• Options
    MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When Cinci’s coach walked out to the mound I told my wife that he’s probably telling him not to worry, it’s just Flowers and he’ll swing at just about anything.

• Options
    IwantburchIwantburch Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I get bmac is old and can’t llay everyday, but can we at least get him a reliable backup

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

the team as a whole isn't hitting very consistently and certainly not with RISP. Hope this funk doesn't last much longer. Wasting some pretty good pitching.

• Options
    amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

Well Greene hasn’t gotten off to a good start...

• Options
    edited August 2019

dammmm ! it looks like we downgraded from Jackson. 0 for f...ing 2. His pitches look like batting practice tosses from a 60 year old coach. I wonder if Smoltz has anything left in the tank ?

• Options
    swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Greene hasn't looked good but with a 1.1 something ERA he had when he came here he was due to regress a bit. Just a shame it had to happen now.

I think he will be fine and if he isnt he can move to another role and Melancon can close.

• Options

I admit I don’t watch much outside of the Braves but when they made the trade and someone (you?) listed his stats I was excited. Not looking like the pitcher I thought we were going to get, hopefully it’s just jitters from trying to do too much to prove he’s good to his new teammates.

• Options

What the Flowers, where did that come from!!!

• Options
    edited August 2019

This has been an exceptional season for Greene. He hasn't been close to as good stat wise before this year. Still, he must be letting the trade get to him. The Braves have had MANY nervous closers over the years.

We can only hope he gets over this soon.

• Options

There is a load of room between a 1.18 ERA and absolutely being terrible. One of our announcers said he's making his pitches, he's just getting too much of the plate. What the duck does that even mean ? If throwing flat 90 MPH pitches waist high down the center of the plate is making his pitches, what does it look like when he's missing ?

• Options
    LD10LD10 Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

4 for 35 RISP in series pathetic...

• Options

I think it was one of those filler comments, kind of like “Well John, I think the team with the most points at the end of the game will win” nonsense so there isn’t silence. And they don’t bash the guy, which is good job security for the home team announcers.

• Options

Luckily both Washington and Philly lost today, so we sort of got a mulligan.

We go to Minn. next and face the #1 team in MLB in hitting HRs.

• Options
    swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I watched the game last night with the blown save

A few of those balls were bloop hits

It happens.

• Options

I wasn't able to watch yesterday's game, he was awful today though. When you throw 12 out of 13 pitches for strikes, you're not a power pitcher and most of them are flat, fat and down the middle, you're going to get hammered 9 out of 10 games.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Greene is a quality pitcher that we actually targeted over the offseason (and couldn't get then, also may have tried for Castellanos too but the deal fell apart) because we saw something in his arsenal that could make him better, and he implemented it this year (throwing more cutters).

However he never was a true talent 1.18 ERA pitcher. He had a .181 BABIP this year in Detroit, and he's moved to a team that slipped big time in being able to prevent infield grounders from becoming base hits. I can't dig up the numbers exactly (I think last year we were at .218 on grounders becoming base hits, but this year it's .270?), but compared to last year which I know was top 5-10, this year the Braves are bottom 5-10 in preventing grounders from becoming base hits. Luke shouldn't be closer, but with stats like those floating around, some guys might have to admit he wasn't "that" big of a problem.

Melancon also isn't what he used to be in 2013-2016. You can almost argue that arsenal wise and ability, the pitchers that we acquired, it goes Martin/Greene/Melancon.

tl;dr:

This is a hint to not get on the pitching coach here on Greene. We should be happy tbh if he ends up pitching to a 3 ERA ROS.

Also, Martin maybe should close. He had closing experience in Texas and Japan, which while Japan is a step down, it still has great crowds.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is the right answer. Didn’t watch today, but yesterday he gave up that run without anyone hitting it hard on him. Just bad bapip luck.

And anyone thinking he is a true talent 1.18 era guy is misinformed. He is good, not elite but good. We should be happy we have him, even if he has started off rocky.

This discussion has been closed.