Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Excluding natural disasters (tornados, hurricanes, etc) what is the worst weather you have ever witn

Comments

• Options
    ziggyholidayziggyholiday Posts: 492 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was in Korea, it was snowing. Walked inside my shelter (on the back of a flatbed truck) heard thunder, turned around it was raining.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

DawgBones. I never ran The Green. My river of choice was The Chattooga about 45 minutes south, it's where Deliverance was filmed..''he got a real purty mouth ain't he'' I also paddled on Lake Lure a lot, which was 16 miles from my house.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We had some sort of wind sheer hit our neighborhood this time last year. We all believe it was a tornado, but it was at night, and we couldn’t see it. About 200 trees snapped in our neighborhood with many homes having damage. Scary stuff. Other than that, the blizzard of 93 here in Atlanta was crazy. I’ve never seen snowfall like that in Georgia.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

White out - blizzard. County/country road I knew no one was ahead of me Snow became heavy snow became white out very fast Had slowed down but worried about getting rear-ended Had to stop as couldn’t see beyond hood Stayed stopped 3? 5? More? minutes Then fairly abruptly could see

Boss attempted to upbraid for being late to meeting Told him above but he wasn’t convinced as he came from different direction Told him to call his wife as it went in that direction (Very compact storm) Heard no more about it

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sandstorms in Iraq. Nothing like them in the states.

-50 degrees in college at Washington State. Minus 50! Class was not cancelled.

• Options
    NOVADAWGNOVADAWG Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lived through a f4 tornado the night after oj was arrested In Oklahoma. Snowmagedon in Atlanta in the 90’s, tornado ripped through America’s Ga when I was going to school there. I know you said anything other than tropical storms and hurricanes.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There was a flood in the Nashville area in 2010. Places that you would never think would get water were 20 feet under. It was crazy. They had expected a nasty line of thunderstorms, but they went through and the system stalled and got 17 inches in 36 hours.

• Options
    CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You wouldn't believe it.

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

(Excluding sitting on my front porch last Oct 7th, drinking a bottle of Mercury Head, watching Michael blow over my 140 year old house). I would have to say one of the worst weather encounters I've had was on a run I made from the Everglades back to Islamorada. It's about a 40 mile round trip though the National Park that I used to frequently do in a 17' flats boat. This particular day was off the charts. Fishing in the Glades was epic and it was late into the afternoon when I looked up to see a monster heading our way. Made the very bad decision to try and out run it. About 2 miles into open water we hit the wind which was pushing against the out going tide. By the time the storm hit we were bouncing on the deck like ping pong balls while being hit with a blast from a fire hose. 6' waves started coming over the bow and at one point I figured this was it.. By the grace of God we were able to get the skiff beached on Sandy Key. I will never forget the humming sound the graphite push pole and fly rods made when the electrical storm blew over us. We limped back to the dock in the dark, navigating by the channel 2 & 5 bridge lights. Never again have I gone out without checking the weather forecast and keeping a watchful eye on the sky.

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mid 1990's in March. 65-70 degrees and humid about 6:30 on Sat. morning getting ready for golf tourney. Wind started blowing, so hard blew the door off the proshop. Someone said "it cant blow this hard for that long". It did and it was snowing by lunch. Can remember what the temps got down to but it was really cold for south Georgia in March.

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just re-read that and I'm still laughing at myself. Sounds like one of those "there I was in the Congo" jokes.

Anyway I should have mentioned how being uninformed, unprepared, unobservant, and just plain stuppid, can get oneself and others killed. I got a pass that day and never forgot it.

• Options

Ghost I'm wondering if that's the same storm that I was describing in my post. I think its was known as the Storm of the Century at the time. Do you remember the month,maybe?

• Options

Lol. The day even. That could be the same one. It was like summer that morning. Then hellacious wind and snowing by lunch down here. Power out, trees down, etc

• Options
    AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In fall of 1969, I was trying to get back to Phu Bai, RVN from Dong Ba Thin (near Cam Rahm Bay). Got stuck 2 days in Danang due to a typhoon. Rained as hard as I’ve ever seen it rain for about 30 hours. They said during one 24 hour period it rained 23 inches. Soaking wet for three days. Carried a 45. Took a lot of cleaning to get it right.

• Options
    JamesTwitJamesTwit Posts: 422 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

6 or 7 years ago I drove out to a ministry/clinic in Aurora, Colorado for a week (a suburb of Denver). It was in February. The middle of winter. While there they had recording setting cold temps. -20 degrees. Not wind chill factor but actual air temp of 20 below. I was worried about my car engine block freezing and cracking. I had antifreeze in it but being from south Ga not enough for arctic temps like that. I had to get some radiator water out to get more antifreeze in. I had a gas siphon pump thing in the trunk for the trip. Just in case..you know tools and stuff. It was just at dark and and as soon as I handled the siphon it snapped like a Christmas candy cane. It was already so cold the rubber tube had frozen rock hard. Every breath you'd breath outside hurt because the air was so cold. I got the valve on the radiator open and drained some fluid then was able to top off with the antifreeze. Anyway my engine didn't crack thankfully. I've never experienced cold like that before or since.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Two events equally terrifying:

1. Hail storm--golf ball sized hail while driving the interstate. I pulled under a bridge with a few dents. Others were having windshields smashed.
    2. Snow storm--at dusk, country roads, couldn't see where the road ended and ditches began. Had to use the bumpers in the center of the road to keep my car on the pavement. A 30 minute drive took 2 hours with slippery conditions and no plow.