Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

My Honey Harvest - Any recipes where honey is the difference maker?

BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
Extracted some honey this morning.   Being a relatively new beekeeper(3rd yr), I don’t have a lot of recipes using honey.  My favorite was when someone told me to add honey to my roasted beets and goat cheese.   I mix the honey and goat cheese then add to the beets.  Delicious.  

Honey is also great to add to steak marinade because it aids with searing over high heat.  Add just a little bit.  

Comments

• DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

Touch of honey does wonders when doing up a batch of collard greens.

• DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • WintonkWintonk Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Mix the honey with butter and put on pancakes, waffles and biscuits.  Add some cheyenne and have a dipping sauce for fried chicken.  My son still has a peanut butter and honey sandwich at least once a week.  I would also make my BBQ sauces out of the honey.   Add to plain yogurt for a little sweetness and have a healthy snack.  I also like it in my cottage cheese.  

For later in the season when the  golden rod is out, use that honey primarily for baking or refeeding the bees during the winter months. 

I used to be a small beekeeper in pine mountain before I moved away.  It was a very rewarding hobby and the people I met are amazing.  I took a weekend seminar in Columbus hosted by UGA and that got me plugged into the beekeeping associations around my area.  
  • BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Also a fan of pb and honey on toast, or with cream cheese on either a english muffin or bagel.  

@Wintonk. How did your bees do on pine mtn?  I have access to 1500 acres bordering FDR.   We have sourwood trees but I suspect they bloom at the same time as everything else.  

Gobs of grapes and muscadine vines.  Wondered if the bees would work the muscadine enough to tell in the honey.  
  • umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

@Bankwalker , that honey looks pretty awesome. I don't know where you live, but if you've got a big international market or somewhere that has fancy cheeses, I think that could be something that would make a really nice pairing. I really like sharp, nutty, aged cheeses with honey, but I'm sure there are many combinations that could turn out really well. Get some fruits, special olives, tomatoes, or whatever else, and that could be delicious.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
    Put honey in plain Greek yogurt 
  • allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019
    I use it to sweeten lemonade instead of sugar. Boil the water and then dissolve the honey in the water. It’s super yummy if you infuse some culinary lavender in it as well.
    @Bankwalker, you wouldn't really tell unless you had them right there by the source.  They will gather so much from other sources that it would just be classified as wildflower honey, which is absolutely fine and tasty.

A good source is tulip poplar.  It takes trees 20 plus years to develop flowers, but the honey is quality and the bees love it.  

Try to eliminate any honeysuckle as well as it can bitter up the honey.

Ensure that you are eliminating those queen cells in late February to March to keep down on swarming.  Or if the hive is very strong, go ahead and take a comb with some queen cells, some brood and honey to make a nuc to grow your hives.  

I also built stands made out of cellular pvc (never rot), put coffee cans around the four corners, scrunched them a bit (so bees wouldn't fall in) and put some oil at the bottom.  That kept the Japanese beetles and fire ants out.  

Last bit of advice.  Never buy used not currently in use hive parts, you can't inspect to see if it is diseased.  Fire is the only cure for foul brood.
  • ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Awesome batch @Bankwalker . I had two hives last year and they both swarmed. Actually saw one during the process. Awesome sight but gut wrenching at the same time. Decided to take this year off and try them again next year. It was my third year also.

@Wintonk great advice. Still learning as I go....

@ghostofuga1, it is paramount to kill those queen cells.  They typically will be on the bottom rack of brood cells, hanging down.  Pull up the combs and knock them off with the hive tool.

Alot of times the swarm will not go too far.  You can actually try to track them and go in the direction to hunt them down.  Many times they will rest in a low hanging branch (all the workers are engorged with honey they took with them and they tire quickly).  

I got my queens from a Texas company and they were amazing (great producers and clean).  I would also highly recommend starting with a nuc and not a three pounder.  
  • ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

@Wintonk it's truly a learning process that also envelopes the area that your in and trying to figure out that area. I live in the NE GA mountains. Semi to very rural with too many places for them to go...including lots and lots of trees and other hives down the road. I try to keep an eye on the swarm cells and any other abnormal formations. I've been doing the box and will try the nucs this upcoming season.

BTW- If you like your coffee sweetened, the best way to go is........😎

• LD10LD10 Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Try it in tuna salad.

• LincolnParkDawgLincolnParkDawg Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    Very cool Bankwalker! I use local honey in my morning nutri-bullet makes the smoothies much better. 
    @ghostofuga1, my wife and I will be moving to the blue ridge area in about ten years.  I have less than two years left in the Army and she has about five.  We have a housing business that we started and will be moving out after we reach our milestones.  I cannot wait!  

We will be there for the 4th of July next year.  Nothing like seeing fireworks from a mountain side across so many areas.  
  • ColumboColumbo Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

My golf smoothie includes bananas, milk, cocoa, peanut butter, ice and a splash of honey

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Brush honey on hot wings and put them back on the grill for a minute or two 
  • BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    @Wintonk and @ghostofuga1 This was my 2nd harvest this year, plus I have a hive in Tiger Im hoping will give me some sourwood.   I currently have 8 hives after having two in the Fall, plus I gave three  nucs away to friends.   A few of those were from splits.   I don’t kill queen cells.  I go ahead and split the hive.  I have caught 3 swarms with bait hives and caught two others from phone calls.   I have also done a few cutouts, including a big one on the 4th.  Im a licensed PCO so I charge for the service.   

Giving honey away has been one of the most gratifying things Ive ever done.  It is amazing how excited and appreciative people are when you give it and explain it came from your own bees.  

I have nucs I can sell.  Now is a good time to start because you can beef them up with sugar and pollen patties until the goldenrod blooms and then they are ready to over winter and then rock in the Spring.   

@ghostofuga1 @Bankwalker, ghost, sounds like you have your guy for a nuc next year.  

Sounds like you have this down.  I didn't have enough resources at the time to split my hives that often.  I cannot wait to get back into it when I move back to Georgia.  I will have to hit you up to get the nucs.