Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Is UGA in for another QB drought?

2»

Comments

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lambert would never be allowed to step foot in James Coley's QB room. I trust this staffs ability to evaluate talent. Mathis and Beck r both top notch skill set wise and if he (Coley) can reel in Caleb Williams in 2021 u know Georgia is here to stay.

• Options
    TuckyDawgTuckyDawg Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Beck will be ready when called. He seems to be a student of the game, and has the physical make up, to be a great QB.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

MeR3htid. To my eyes Beck looks very advanced mechanically. That should make it easier to get up to speed than a QB who had to come in and learn basic dropbacks and arm mechanics. I'm guessing he has pretty good aptitude by what he's already doing before his senior season in high school. He didn't even dedicate himself to football till a couple of years ago as I understand it. I'm excited to see him get in our program .

• Options

Yeah Beck is a helluva young QB prospect. No telling where his ceiling is but he's probably gonna carry 240-245 pds on his 6'5 frame and he has the look of a guy that could star in the SEC.

• Options
    judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I want to see Fromm stay 2 years then pass the torch’s to Williams

• Options

Yeah I would love to see Fromm stay 2 more years as well but if he builds on a pretty successful Sophmore season statistically and looks the part of an NFL QB1 to some QB needy team, top 10 NFL money on the rookie wage scale could be too much to pass up.

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think everyone is low rating D'Wan Mathis. He was good enough to be a flip from OSU. D'Wan came in early even with his illness will probably get some playing time and have a full year of Georgia coaching. We know he has a great attitude and has speed plus great size at 6' 6". He needs to put on weight but has the frame to cary another 30 pounds.

• Options

As far as Williams, assuming Fromm goes pro after this season that would clear the runway for Beck to come in as a Freshman and compete for the job from Day 1 and if he wins it and has a Freshman season like Fromm in 2017 by leading Georgia to a CFB Playoff appearance and MAYBE (Although unlikely because of the Trevor Lawrence factor) a National Championship, would Williams still consider Georgia with opposing coaches pointing out what happened with Fromm and Fields as a negative recruiting tool?

• Options
    UGAJ0EUGAJ0E Posts: 240 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hutson Mason was a solid QB and doesnt deserve to be lumped in with Lambert.

Georgia might have had a couple of years in the last twenty (JT3 year and Lambert) where they did not have a productive Qb, but no one outside of Oklahoma has had the same level of consistent talent at the Qb position like georgia. Carson Beck looks good, Mathis is already a good running threat and has a year, and I would not rule out Stetson.

Will we have an Aaron Murray level player next year? Almost definitely no, but that doesnt mean they cant be productive.

• Options

Hudson was good so if I lumped him in there then I will gladly take that back. What I liked about him was he played within himself and didn't turn the ball over. And he was nowhere near the reason Georgia underachieved his Sr yr.

• Options

It's not about confidence in his abilities (Williams) as it is about timing. If Beck or Mathis ( More likely Beck) is setting it on fire in 2020 if Fromms not there while leading Georgia to a SEC CHAMPIONSHIP and another CFB Playoff appearance why in the hell would Williams go there knowing he's likely in for a lengthy wait to b QB1 when he could probably very easily start at MOST any team in the Country as a True Freshman. Know what I'm sayin? 😎😎😎

• Options

Where do u think we stand with Williams though?