Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Athens ranked best town in the SEC

VarsityDog77VarsityDog77 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Always good to see Athens brought up on lists like this. Much deserved, IMO. I haven't been to all 14 towns in the conference but I will admit, Missouri and Arkansas are both miles ahead of where I thought they would be.

https://gasnsports.com/sec-towns-ranked-1-14/

Comments

• swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Dang they nailed it.

Starkville is the worst town also BTW and was curious if they had it there.

I have been to games in Starkville not that long ago and it was hit or miss even then if you had cell service there. Its literally in the middle of nowhere.

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was thinking about that just the other day.

No other SEC college town outside their campus areas and building compares to Athens. Add in the proximity to a first rate city and transportation hub like Atlanta (without the problems of being IN Atlanta) and it’s the perfect location.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Concur. I haven't been to them all, but I just went to College Station for a wedding in may. Great stadium, maybe one of my favorite coffee spots, and that's it

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They ranked Athens (UGA) as the best college city in America period. Lot better than just the SEC 😉

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It may be the best college town in America, but it gets even better when I’m there.

• cory430cory430 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's actually not even close in the SEC at least.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

I would have Auburn, Baton Rouge and Gainesville higher. I've never been to Fayetteville and I've only passed through Columbia Missouri so I can't rate them. The reasons for my feelings about the 3 I'd rate higher.

Auburn. It's got a niche as a smaller attractive village with ambient charm.

Gainesville. Not my thing but if a young person wants a vibrant spring break feel with warm weather, have at it.

Baton Rouge. It's unique culture and feel. Lower Louisiana has as close to a separate country culture as you'll find in the lower 48. Great food doesn't hurt.

• DawgWolve70DawgWolve70 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Auburn actually has a small town charm that is not bad. Been to Auburn and every east school except mizzou and Kentucky and they would be #2 on my list.

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dude. I’ve been to Gainesville.

todays college kids aren’t having it unless you are in a gang or love cows.