Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Today I Turned 50: Perspective and the Greatest Gifts!

2»

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

A good rule of thumb is always look for whole foods. Processed grains are gut clogging garbage. I limit red meat to a few ounces here and there.cold water fish like salmon, lean chicken and shell fish comprise probably 90% of animal products I eat. I don't eat pork, but that's just my choice, I'm not pushing it on anybody. Dark leafy veggies like collards are excellent. Fruit, melons, nuts, all those great whole foods our hunter gatherer ancestors ate will do the body good. Also beans are great for you.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Happy b-day 914 bro! Enjoy it!

• Options
    KeithsaxonKeithsaxon Posts: 683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Welcome to club brother DAWG!!! Been celebrating mine for 7 years now. After reading WC's and Fireplug's post,I'm going to start celebrating my 49th birthday. GO DAWGS!!!!

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As to grains I've gone gluten free (+/-) - about 5 years. Gluten in quantity makes me foggy - brain fog. It is a real thing, likely genetic in some forms, and also related to how else one eats that affects the gut - "leaky gut." See link. It is getting easier to be gluten free. There is a very good pizza crust that Costco, I think, has. Yes I miss slapping some naughty thing between white bread slices, but no longer in a big way. The gluten free fake bread isn't terrible (is expensive), and there are always those cardboard rice cakes.

Also endorse pickles, kimchi, sauerkraut - rotted veggies - for the gut. I don't eat enough pickles. Kale, golden flax meal (for dusting on whatever - add extra water), chia seeds (add to soups, stews, etc.- add extra water), almonds - all wonder foods.

Food for health - we know a lot, but it is more like having a huge jigsaw puzzle, where you have so many pieces assembled in one corner, then another place, but it is largely undone and one (scientists and amateurs) plods away at it. Once they figure out how satiety works, the brain-stomach connection (or whatever it is), there will be many pounds dropped.

• Options
    914Dawg914Dawg Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I accidentally bought some gluten-free pretzels and they were amazing! I've been eating pretty well, exercising and getting my weight down - I need to be around for (what I expect to be) a long, long run of UGA Football success!

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

914Dawg “appy Birthday! You know we share a bday with MTv (8/1/81) and we are old enough to remember when it first started and it was like a radio station, but with music videos.”

Quote is not working on my windows 10 desktop. I remember the day but have no thoughts about MTV. Maybe it was because as a Air traffic Controller I was having a little disagreement with President Reagan at the time.