Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

If the Gus Bus leaves Auburn

Comments

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

True... So far Tucker is the first Kirby tree to leave. Should be more very soon (next 3 years)

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There are certain common stress points or challenges to maintaining a program at an elite level. Coaching turnover is very high on that list. The ability to develop coaches and then identify others to eventually take their place is huge, not unlike with players/recruiting. This type of "process", no pun intended, is another thing that separates Saban as an all-time great coach. It remains to be seen if Kirby can do the same.

All of that said, hard to imagine Dell at the Barn. I can definitely see him getting a bump to OC soon, though. Generally more of track record for QB coaches getting bumped to OC but that doesn't mean Dell can't be successful. Someone looking for a big recruiting bump will give him a shot I bet.

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love Dell, but can you imagine being an Auburn fan and your AD hires a running backs coach to jump all the way to a D1 head coach?

Auburn is more likely to try to take Muschamp and make everyone mad at Auburn than they are to take Dell next year

now for Dell to go be someone’s offensive coordinator I could understand, but not a D1 SEC head coach

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not taking anything away from McGee, but Pittman makes recruiting of rb's alot easier for him. Hope he thinks that way and they both stay. For several NC's anyway

• BaxleydawgBaxleydawg Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gus has a history of pulling out a great year when his back is against the wall. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it’s 9 or 10 wins and they can’t justify firing him till after 2020’s 7 and 5 campaign. I have high hopes that Mullet is flerduhs Gus

• finesse92finesse92 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't think he would want to start off his HC career there with Saban still at Bama anyways. Maybe if he's ready to leave, he goes to a smaller school and becomes HC and when Saban leaves/when the timing becomes right, tries for that Auburn HC position. Just my humble opinion though

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gus has a strong D. Deep at RB. QB could well emerge. Contract buy out decreases each year. AU hard to predict. Could go either way. I hope they have a frustrating loss like UT last year, lose to us, and Gus hangs on another dubious year.

• swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Wouldn't put it past Auburn to bring Petrino in.

Im being serious.

Bobby Lowder and other big donors have always wanted Petrino.

Not sure how much pull Lowder has anymore though.

In all seriousness, who does Auburn bring in right now to consistently beat: Alabama, Georgia and LSU?

Bill Belichick?

Short of that I dont see anyone beating those three teams "consistently"

edited August 2019

Exactly my point, which is why if Gus can beat 1 of those 3 this year and Florida then he keeps his job

Normally I would agree with you. But this is Auburn we are talking about.

They love the shiny new coach.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dell is an associate head coach now. This isn’t just a move to pay him more, Kirby believes in Dell in every sense. He legit is the VP of the UGA football program. Truthfully, he could be to au what Kirby is to UGA. I think Dell would be phenomenal there but hope he goes OOC. 2 years max with Dell is my thought unfortunately.

• CVegasDawgCVegasDawg Posts: 39 ✭✭✭ Junior

Absolutely scariest environment imaginable! My wife is an Auburn grad and I would never hear the end of it!!!

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here is hoping (perhaps praying?) that the "Gus Bus" STAYS PUT RIGHT WHERE IT IS AT there in Auburn!!!! I simply LOVE seeing him DO things like THIS whenever GEORGIA does what GEORGIA does to the BARN!!!!

-Mel as the Head coach. Dell as his OC.

The nightmare scenario for recruiting.

Not to bring race into it but .....

Eventually an African American coach will win big in the SEC and recruit really well.

Tucker to Auburn would only hurt Georgia in recruiting. Which means it gets felt on the field in short order.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s is possible to hate and love that thought at the same time?

• dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have faith that whatever happens with coach turnover, that Kirby has built a great environment for people (coaches/players) to come into and thrive. With Kirby as the constant, we will always be in a great spot for success. Eventually Dell/Coley/Lanning/Hartley/Warren/Scott will all leave, but I have faith that Kirby will have no problem finding excellent replacements, whether they are proven or green. Athens is a great place to live/raise a family, and Kirby is a great guy to be around/work for (unlike Saban).