Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Incognito down votes and other discussions

124»

Comments

• Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I DV some posts here and there. Generally, if someone is talking badly about a kid, whining that the sky is falling during a game if things aren't going well (the same can happen in recruiting - remember that infamous post we keep bumping about how bad our recruiting is?) or someone attacks other members.

I also don't mind DVs. If I say something offensive or antagonistic, something alcohol certainly encourages, I can own the DVs I get.

It's the DVs that seem random that just annoy me because I can't figure out why that got DVed. I'd like to ask that person what their beef with the post was.

So, in sum, I think DVs should be public. I am more than happy for any DV I give to be public and I want someone DVing my post to have to put their name (well message board name) by it. I find bullies are afraid when the lights are turned on and they will stop DVing if their name is public, but those who DV a post ripping on a kid or something will have no problem having their identity be disclosed for their DV.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For the record - I don't believe I have ever given anyone a DV - never intentionally. So you few that never seem to see eye to eye with me about anything - the DV wasn't mine.

But I have UV some of you that I completely disagree with - simply because you have a good argument.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am not in favor of the incognito DV, but the DV serves a very good purpose. It allows a reader to disagree with a post or comment. And, DN shows everyone that a comment has a DV and how many. On YOUTube one can DV (thumb down) but no one sees it. So, some YT jerkface can live in his/her fantasy world as if no one disagreed with their inanity. It is what I dislike most about YT.

The DV does not matter in the grand scheme of things. But it is a scoring mechanism +/- to determine acceptance of a comment/post (recognizing that most people will not vote U or D).

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To the people who mercilessly DV under anonymity, ya moms a ho

• Options

I like to think that the s in @swilkerson73 stands for sunshine.

• Options
    swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I like to think that the s in @swilkerson73stands for sunshine.

How did you know?

• Options
  • Options
    ziggyholidayziggyholiday Posts: 492 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Talking trash on the internet happens. Given the option of a simple like/dislike button people will choose the easier route. Why get into yet another rehashed conversation and explain “again” why so and so has a dumb opinion when you can just down vote?

/shrug about it being anon I mean, technically we’re all anon as it is. Except for the staff.

The only other online forum I frequent has a plethora of emotes you can use, thumb up/down, barf, trash can, ranbow etc.

Ya, I didn’t chose the internet life, it chose me.

• Options
    Chitown_DawgChitown_Dawg Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Maybe the site could make you click DV twice. I think I’ve DV’d about ten times, all by accident on my phone. At least for me, it’s really easy to do on phone while scrolling.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would add the DV for a difference of opinion as abuse of the feature. If we are to “ respect” our fellow posters, voting down opinions that are not clearly meant to be trolling is abuse of the feature.

• Options

You can disagree by actually telling us WHAT exactly you disagree with. Don’t need a DV for that. DV’s for an opinion do nothing to foster discussion.

• Options
    BigDawgEatinBigDawgEatin Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some/many that are DV'd are not worthy of further discussion. Often, I want a thread to die - quickly. A comment of rationality will be twisted into another 3 pages of comments, many from those that are clueless of the motives of the commenter/poster. DV are useful.

• Options
    edited August 2019
  • Options
    ChicagoDawgChicagoDawg Posts: 438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I thought Incognito deserved a down vote after the way he treated Jonathan Martin.