Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Work Like A Dog Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Although it may be a dog's life, today celebrates the opposite end of the spectrum - working like a dog. What's the hardest job ;you've ever had? The hardest you've ever worked? Rather than actually work hard, just share a story about it.

After you share your story, you can help celebrate National Oyster Day. What's your favorite dish with oysters? Raw? Soup? Stew? Fried?

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm working harder than my dog. She's snoozing while I'm slaving over a hot keyboard.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

Working for free: Busing/cleaning tables at a fundraiser. I had worked that day (office cush), but wore me out, even for the 3 hours or so.

Working for lucre: Worked as a painter for several summers while in college. GA heat was unbelievable. By the end of summer, no biggie, but the intro was rough!

Oysters: On the half shell with lemon juice. Oh! Need a recipe for oyster stew -> post in 5 Star Chef Zone , please.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My two “toughest” jobs were both in my college years:

Worked for a small tree service one summer. Not one of the big companies you see around in Atlanta with the specialized trucks etc. Essentially a guy with a truck and a chainsaw who cleaned up storm fallen trees or undercut bigger companies for cutting down stuff residentially. Got pretty decent with a saw and splitting wood.

Another summer I worked busing tables at a family style seafood restaurant in the small SC town I went to school in. Busing is generally thankless work but this place with hordes of big groups and kids meant particularly messy work. But what really made it **** was that the servers didn’t “tip us out”...meaning that people would leave a big tip after making a mess but the servers would keep it all..no bueno.

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hot tar roofing in Dallas, Texas during the summer. Hardest job I ever did, although I only lasted for 3 weeks!

First week on the job a co-worker got some tar on his arm. He walked away cussing and grimacing, but didn't wipe the tar off. When I asked another co-worker why, he informed me that wiping it would make it worse, by burning the entire area that was wiped (including your hand) vs. the original area that was covered. Yikes...I figured out right then that my career in hot tar roofing was short term! 😮