Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kids and football?

13»

Comments

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with holding off - but I would start before high school.

Obviously football isn't as skill driven as baseball, basketball, golf, tennis, etc. - where kids couldn't just show up and play in high school.

But kids that wait until high school are at a disadvantage.

I suggest starting in middle school or right after puberty.

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Absolutely agree. He won three Southeastern Invitationals in the 70s out there and had the club record until 7 or 8 years ago. I’m embarrassed to play with him to be honest with you. It’s pretty great to scramble with him though since he can play from the senior tees and we factor my handicap.

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks Nova. We’re incredibly excited and scared out of our minds at the same time. Hoping that he doesn’t decide to come during the ND game.

• UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

I’m pretty sure the hospital rooms have TVs in them.

Edit: and congratulations on the pending arrival

• UgajayUgajay Posts: 30 ✭✭ Sophomore

I played from 3rd grade until I graduated high school. I definitely understand where you're coming from. I have a one year old little man. I have 2 bad knees from playing football. But my only bad memories from playing was the terrible coach I had in middle school. His idea of practicing was getting 20 yards apart and hitting as hard as possible. And cold water made you weak, so we got hot water breaks for one minute twice in 3 hours. If my son had a coach like that then hail no he won't play. A bad coach who is only interested in winning and doesn't care for the kids is the only way I wouldn't let him play. Other than that, if he wants to then I'll back him 100%

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Put a golf club or tennis racket in his hands and nothing else.

• UgajayUgajay Posts: 30 ✭✭ Sophomore

I agree. That was 20 years ago. Got to high school and it was almost like my high school coach was nuts because we got water breaks and he made it fun

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

You and few others must have ordered your sarcasm meters out of China off of Alibaba. Or is it diminished brain activity from playing tackle football at an early age? Just taking a WAG here but I’d guess 90% or more of polo shirts have 3 buttons. I’m not sure I even own a polo shirt that doesn’t have 3 buttons. I’m not surprised Teddy keeps coming back to it, but I thought you were brighter. 😆

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most kids who play youth football are finished playing by the time they reach high school. That’s true of every sport. When I was a kid, my youth baseball and softball league had 1200 kids playing on the diamond. What percentage of those do you imagine were good enough to see actual playing time in my high school of 2400 students? If you don’t let them play until high school then most will never play, and the ones who do will be eons behind in the fundamentals of the game and likely stand on the sideline.

Here’s the thing about injuries in football - there are all of these studies saying such a high percentage of participants suffer “injuries” but the studies count bruises and sprains the same as a concussion. Look one up The number one listed injury will be “contusion” with “ligament” next most common. All “ligament injuries” are always grouped together, as are other widely varying classifications. This is done so that “concussion” can then be listed as the 4th most common football injury. Talk about skewing the numbers.

Rates reported for concussions vary, with heightened diagnosis being partially due to awreness and partially due to overprotective diagnosis. Either way, the rate is supposedly about 5%. The severe Injury rate for youth players more than doubles after they reach 8th grade, so the idea that older is better because their bodies are more developed is bogus. Smaller bodies colliding is far less dangerous than bigger bodies, and studies prove it.

There are other studies saying kids who played tackle football are more likely to exhibit violent behavior, with the violent outbursts being directly attributed to football. More hogwash. Here’s something even more shocking - kids who enjoy a level of violence tend to like football. So is the causation really what we’re being told.

Kids gets hurt in other sports, too. Soccer has half the “reported” rate of concussion as football, but if you’re worried about a 5% rate then shouldn’t you be just as alarmed by 2.5%? Lacrosse has a higher rate than soccer. Girls have more than TWICE the risk of concussion playing similar sports as boys (baseball/softball, soccer, basketball). Should we stop letting girls play sports and stick with teaching them to sew and cook at an early age?