Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

I know some of you all are really tech savvy. Suggestions on cutting the cords/saving money?

DawgTimeDawgTime Posts: 56 ✭✭ Sophomore

20 years with T-Mobile cell phones(Grand Father deal). Just a 3 TV's, 1 desk top. and 2 laptops. Just the 2 of us. I have ATT U-verse 450, and they are rubbing my fur the wrong way.

Comments

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

What are you spending per month?

I cut the cord. My cable provider raised my rate for Internet, TV, and phone to $225/month WITHOUT premium channels. I went the ROKU direction. A 4K streaming device was $99, one time fee. There is a lot of free content--but little football. I added YoutubeTV for local channels and ESPN, ESPN2, SEC Network and more and I pay $50/month. I added Netflix for approximately $20 /month. My internet and phone is through a cable provider and is $85/month. Total--$155/month.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Depends on what tv shows are you watching. Do you watch local tv? Etc...

• DawgatronDawgatron Posts: 449 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pretty happy with Hulu Live/Netflix/Amazon Prime combo. When GoT was on we did HBO Now for an extra 15 bucks a month. There is more quality content in this combo (for kiddos too) than we can keep up with, honestly, for half the price of a mid-level DirecTV package. Hulu Live also has record capability and gets me really good spirts channel coverage. Note: I have primo internet capability as I live in a cesspool of a metropolis. The above option would not work well for the rest of my fam that lives in rural GA, relying on satellite internet.

• SSN751SSN751 Posts: 118 ✭✭✭ Junior

I use YouTube TV, Netflix, Hulu, and HBO for streaming and don’t have cable. I also split the cost with a couple other people for those services, which greatly reduces my monthly bill. If you’re just streaming videos you don’t need blazing fast internet, so perhaps you can cut your bill a bit by reducing the speed of your internet.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you order things online Amazon Prime can save you more on shipping cost than the 12 bucks a month membership fee. Sling's sports( Orange) package was 25 bucks a month last I checked, it's not a bad deal at all. Amazon Prime has some really good original content, plus a large library of movies and tv series. They release the entire series of new content at once so it's perfect for binging. The Boys is the latest Amazon series released, I just finished binging through the first season, it's a lot of fun.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Speaking of VPN, the Hideaway VPN I mentioned in OP below is now released. Costs $60/yr. If you tried the beta, it is (I think) $35 for 1st year. Disclosure, I haven't tried the final version yet. Likely will. Supposed to be hot rocks.

https://forum.dawgnation.com/discussion/13554/techno-apps#latest

• 101ina45101ina45 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Personally I like PS Vue

• DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't have much to say about cable service since that's largely dependent on the provider in your area but I highly recommend everyone ditch their cable and get YouTube TV. It's $50/month, and I'm mad because it used to be $35 before they added Food Network, has all the channels you need including locals and the UI and technology is incredible.

• GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think you do have to be careful about nickel and diming yourself to death with all the various streaming services but in the end, still totally worth it. And if you find that you don't use something, much easier to cancel than it is when it's all wrapped together in a big, bloated contract with Comcast or similar.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

What about the clicker? The one provided for my Visio is pretty weak. If I cut the cord, can a typical remote deal with the variety of services? Say, it is YouTubeTV and Hulu (or Netflicks)..

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

short answer: no clue.

we have been cord cutters for the last several football season using both sling and Hulu with Live TV. if you are using a smart TV the remote control is a non-issue, it’s inherently designed to run apps, no matter which you chose. Our current setup is Sling Orange with the sports package plus a UHF HD window antenna for local channels (CBS). Our roku TV seamless changes between Prime Video, Netflix, Sling, etc. 150mbps internet + Sling is $120 all in.

• dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

YouTubeTV or Hulu Live are the way to go. whether you want Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime or not those aren't included for a "cord" subscription anyways, so they don't factor into the cost of the change.

What you should do:

get a $50-60 Roku device for each TV that doesn't have the ability to watch apps already (non smart TV). this is a 1 time cost and it is very easy to use the remote to navigate through different apps.

Get either Hulu Live or YouTube TV. I have Hulu for $60 a month. No HBO but unlimited devices & 200 hrs of DVR capabilities.

THEN the MOST important part is to get the highest speed internet available.

just my $0.02

• GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is it a smart tv? If not, you’ll need an external device to plug in like a fire stick. They come with their own remotes.

• NOVADAWGNOVADAWG Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So here’s my setup...two smart TVs have amazon fire sticks on both. The main tv has a Apple TV on it. Paid one time fees for all of the fire sticks and Apple TV. Obviously we have prime tv that we can choose from, and added hbo now which is a monthly service I think it’s 16.00 bucks and I have the cbs app which allows me to watch live tv national news and shows that are on there but mainly for sec football in season 6.99 a month. I use sling because of its simple user interface tried Hulu (to hard to search for stuff for me) and dropped that. Basic package on sling is 30 a month today I added the orange channels and added sports for a grand total of of 50 a month on that. We have Verizon for internet and pay the basic internet package for 64.00 a month. It gets the job done pictures are clear.

Total monthly tv bill including internet 140.00 a month but the great thing is when football goes off I drop the espn and sports package off sling and the bill drops to 110 a a month.

• WintonkWintonk Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

I use a VPN for stremio (free app for movies and shows) and streams for us ($50 a year any NFL and college game).

• MattBMattB Posts: 24 ✭✭ Sophomore

Try a Playstation Vue trial. It seemed to mimic basic cable pretty well.

Ask a family member or friend with cable for their stream password. Most likely there's someone who isn't using theirs so you can stream with a laptop and HDMI.