Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Pierogi Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

National Pierogi Day recognizes an international dish that is a type of dumpling. 

Pierogi is the plural form of the rarely used Polish word pierog. In English, we spell pierogi several ways, including perogi and pierogy. However you choose to spell it, pierogi are dumplings made up of unleavened dough. First, pierogi are boiled. Then, cooks will either bake or fry the dumplings in butter to finish cooking them. Usually semicircular in shape, pierogi are traditionally stuffed with a variety of savory fillings.

Pierogi Combinations:

• mashed potato filling
  • potato and cheese
  • potato and onion
  • cheese
  • cabbage
  • sauerkraut
  • ground meat
  • mushroom
  • spinach or fruit.

Mmmmhhh. Sounds like something that would be nice to have on the table while watching a Dawg game, say this coming weekend?

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

they're pretty great. there's a neighborhood in the city that used to be heavily polish, still some there, but not as much. You can get amazing pierogi. My favorite is the potato and cheese

• AugDawg69AugDawg69 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love pierogis. I’m a big Steelers fan and that’s a huge tailgating food every year.

• BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Had them for dinner last night!

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When I was stationed in northern Michigan I met a bunch of Polish guys on the local volunteer rescue squad. Their wives would make all different types of pierogies for our quarterly meetings. Man, these recipes came down from the old country and all of them were good. One lady made one with sausage, mashed potatoes and spinach. It would blow yer socks off!!

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In my experience, pierogi are eaten with onions in butter (sweated chopped onions). Most usual fillings are mashed potatoes, cabbage, sauerkraut, and mushroom - perhaps in that order (or switch cabbage and sauerkraut). Yum

• TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My UGA girlfriend’s family immigrated from Poland (her grandparents) so her mom would make potato pierogi for Sunday dinner-yum!

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've eaten almost everything under the sun, but I've never had pierogi. Would love to remedy that.