Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Best Films of the Past 20 Years

Comments

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hacksaw Ridge from 2016 is (was) to me, just an incredible film. A TRUE story about a "Conscientious Objector" who served as an Army medic, and awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor??? Unbelievable story. GREAT film.

• corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A road I travel daily is Desmond T Doss Memorial highway. He settled on Lookout Mountain in GA after the war.

• mantis_toboggan69mantis_toboggan69 Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’ve got Nolan in the next tier with Scorsese, and Tarantino followed by Tom McCarthy (Spotlight), Paul Thomas Anderson, and a few others. Looking through their wikis, however I will say the top 6 are all incredibly close. Personally, I am just more fascinated by the Coen Brother’s, Fincher’s, and Apatow’s typically genres and film styles than the other three so I regard them a bit higher. They’re all incredible and that’s just my personal opinion, however. Arguments to be had for all of them.

• NOVADAWGNOVADAWG Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Saving Private Ryan great film. A film that flys under the radar is Wind River.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gangs of New York I guess if I had to pick one.. QT is my favorite director.... hateful eight... or d’jango for the time period. The departed or shutter island. I could go on

• BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

silver linings playbook and beautiful mind.

• DCochranDCochran Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

Best Comedy: 'Oh Brother, Where Art Thou' One of the best ever, awesome soundtrack

Most Violent: 'Rambo 4 (director's cut)' - whoa...This movie makes 'Saving Private Ryan' look like an episode of Spongebob

Best Fighting Action movie: 'Raid: Redemption' - Has the best Martial Arts battle ever between a little guy named Mad Dog and 2 SWAT team soldiers that just has to be seen to be believed

Best Ancient Sword and Shield Action movie: 'Troy' - Sword battle between Achilles/Hector (Brad Pitt and Eric Bana) is the best Sword duel ever filmed.

Best Western: Tie between the remake of the 'Magnificent 7' and remake of '3:10 to Yuma' - Neither is as good as the 'Good, Bad and ****' (best of all time) but both are fun and better than their originals, IMO.

Best Superhero movie: 'Avengers: Endgame' - as good as advertised or 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' - best X-Men movie in the series

Most Overrated movie: 'No Country for Old Men' - This is the worst movie ever to win any kind of Oscar and one of the worst I've ever seen...EVER

Most Underrated movie: 'The Chronicles of Riddick' - Becoming a cult classic and deserves it, Vin Diesel's best film.

Scariest Movie - 3 Way Tie!: 'Quarantined' - Best 'found footage' movie, grabs you by the throat and never lets up or 'The Conjuring' - Don't let your kids watch this, they'll have nightmares for months or Remake of 'Dawn of the Dead' - better than either of the '28 Days/Weeks' movies, if you liked the original and Zombie movies overall, this is your movie

Best Overall Movie: 'Lord of the Rings' Trilogy Will be classics for generations to come

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Life has gotten in the way the past couple of days, so I haven't been back on the forum since this thread was first posted, but I'm glad a few folks chimed in. I'll still plan to follow up with the other 5-year blocks as soon as I can pull it together.

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

I’m a HUGE Marvel fan. I know several don’t care for the Marvel movies, but I’m not one of those. About the only two I could say were bad were the first attempt of The Incredible Hulk and Ironman 3. All others were anywhere from “pretty good” to “great” imo.

Endgame – most epic battle of all of the Marvel series, but somewhat disappointed with all leading up to the final battle. What they did with Hulk and Thor was really disappointing to me. But the final battle made up for it. All of the other Avenger movies are “top notch,” including CA Civil War. Other high list movies in the series: CA First Avenger, all of the Thor movies, Gaurdians of Galaxy 1 and 2, Ironman 1 and 2 – 3 wasn’t very good.

Also Wolverine Origins and Days of Future Past were very good.

• HouzdawgHouzdawg Posts: 340 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

i rewatch those every time I see them on the guide!! Bet you loved “weekend at Bernie’s” too!!

• NOVADAWGNOVADAWG Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I actually really like wolf of Wall Street. Wedding Crashers in my top 10 movies all time

• OdinOdin Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Topic was the last 20 years. Not favorite movies in your life time. Just saying.

@DCochran I agree on “No country for old men”, in the final scene where Tommy Lee Jones is sitting at a table and just talking, and talking.... and then suddenly the movie credits are now rolling??? I was like.... huh? What happened? This is the award for BEST PICTURE? Really??? You have got to be kidding me!!!????

I said the same thing. I thought it was some kind of joke. The first part of this movie was ok, then it just turned to crap. Josh Brolin's character gets killed off screen! You don't even see the confrontation. Then the killer guy gets blind-sided in a car accident and walks off with his arm in a make-shift sling and that's it? What the?

I was expecting Tommy Lee Jones, Brolin and the killer guy to all show up and have some three-way gun battle like at the end of the Good, the Bad and the ****. lolol

I made sure all the movies I posted was from 2000 and forward. If you wanna do one for all time, I'm game for that, it'll be different than my previous list.

@Odin I also noticed that. Perhaps some in here are maybe older? Like me, I am old. LOL

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

Ok, lot of good comments on here so far. I appreciate the contributions. Here's Part II of IV: Best Pictures, Blockbusters, Favorites, and Notable Films, 2010-2014.

Best Picture: Birdman

Top grossing film: Transformers- Age of Extinction

My favorite: Whiplash

Honorable mention: American S.niper, The Imitation Game, Gone Girl, Foxcatcher, Edge of Tomorrow, Chef

Comments: I enjoyed Birdman, and I was tempted to pick American **** as my favorite, but Whiplash was an amazing film and I wanted to recommend it in case anyone out there happened to miss it. I also loved Chef.

-------

Best Picture: 12 Years a S.lave

Top grossing film: Frozen

My favorite: American Hustle

Honorable mention: Captain Phillips, Gravity, Wolf of Wall Street, Philomena, Rush

Comments: Lot of good films this year and I didn't think 12 Years was among the top 5. Philomena is a great (small) film worth watching if you missed it.

-------

Best Picture: Argo

Top grossing film: The Avengers

My favorite: Zero Dark Thirty

Honorable mention: Les Miserables, Dark Night Rises, The Impossible

Comments: No problem with Argo winning, but I like Zero Dark Thirty better. For Judd Apatow fans, this was also the year of This is 40.

-------

Best Picture: The Artist

Top grossing film: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2

My favorite: Moneyball

Honorable mention: The Tree of Life, The Trip, Another Earth

Comments: Moneyball is not only my favorite movie of 2011, but probably top five all-time for me. I'm a baseball guy, a numbers guy, and a divorced guy. I'm also a fan of writer Michael Lewis, actors Brad Pitt (recent Oscar comments notwithstanding), Jonah Goldberg, and Philip Seymour Hoffman, director Bennett Miller, and screen writers Steve Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin. Not to mention the immortal Robin Wright and the mercurial Spike Jonze with their small but pitch perfect performances in this film.

-------

Best Picture: The King's Speech

Top grossing film: Toy Story 3

My favorite: The Social Network

Honorable mention: Inception, Black Swan

Comments: King's Speech was a worthy winner, and I'm as big a fan of Inception (and Christopher Nolan) as anyone, but Social Network is a **** near perfect film. Director David Fincher and screenwriter Aaron Sorkin are arguably the best in the business, and the movie was perfectly cast, with Jesse Eisenberg in the lead role, plus great performances from Justin Timberlake, Armie Hammer, Andrew Garfield, Max Minghella, Rooney Mara, Rashida Jones, and Dakota Johnson. I've seen it at least 10 times and could watch it over and over.