Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Busy hospitals are running out of money? That’ll be the day. I actually know people. What I said about empty beds is true. Businesses with lots of customers don’t “run out of money.” This is especially true with an overpriced service provider such as a hospital.

• Options
    pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's because most hospitals (not just ones in hard hit areas) have stopped doing elective procedures. No elective procedures means less money. Even hospitals with lots of covid cases are losing thousands of dollars per patient.

• Options
    dradcliffdradcliff Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My wife works in CT at Kennestone in Marietta. They are sending people home early every shift. They are all expected to give up 4 hours a week. She said xray has to cut 40 hours per week. She said Doctors and nurses are working less as well.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can tell you in a nicer way that hospitals all over the country are struggling and many are empty.

A very close friend of mine is head trauma surgeon at Methodist in Dallas and he said it has become a real issue.

Obviously not in New York city and I'm sure other areas are struggling as well.

But I'll end my post @pocoyo by wishing you and your family great health. I don't want you getting sick in central America.

• Options

Not necessary. Maybe read what you posted to me first and swallow one yourself. Pretty typical of you, actually.

• Options

@Supra The two scenarios you have offered up are interesting. The first A) states that places who closed first experienced more robust recoveries. The sentence is past tense, as if it already happened. The thing about economic studies is that at least half of the people who study economics for a living are wrong most of the time. It is the nature of the business and competing schools of thought. And then, B) from strictly an economic standpoint, how would the death of 1 million people over the age of 70 result in a negative economic outcome? The statistics on age mortality related to covid19 don’t lie. Massive transfer of wealth to a younger generation.. Less future social security outlay. Less future medicare expenditures.

We can talk about the heartbreak and premature loss of life being a legitimate travesty, but if you remove the emotional aspect and just study the numbers....

• Options

Well. Okay. Maybe my opinion is skewed by the fact that I'm in a country that is still trying to sell that this is no more dangerous than a common cold because, due to past "events" ,they are desperate for tax revenue. Example-- Costa Rica to the south has 700 confirmed cases. Honduras ,to the north, has 500. We have...wait for it...2 cases. Point is that I'm not there so I don't know, but I do see NY offering VERY big money to medical personnel. And with respect "head trauma surgeon" doesn't really apply here. Again, not there, don't know. But will echo your sentiment that I hope you and yours are, and will continue to be, well. We're doing what we can.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, he was definitely coming in with the whole deep state conspiracy angle. He also believes the elderly dying is a benefit to the country.

• Options

OK. Trust me, if I had one, I would. Whether I needed or not. Could use a little chill right about now. Don't forget to carry your assault rifle to your next "Open up" event. It's a great look.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options

Mods---Is taunting allowed? Having fun here.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

I’m at the point where I just dgaf any more. People are gonna act like children about this and I’m about ready to give up the ghost

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I live in a county with a population of about 300,000. Our hospitals are at a capacity below their ability to make a profit - they're too empty. They are hurting financially, as are most of the hospitals in our entire state, to the point that elective surgeries have already been opened back up just about everywhere in SC.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just curious. Since you seem to have a clear grasp of the economics of healthcare, can you connect the dots on the number of CV-19 diagnoses and the $$$ attached to it? My understanding is that hospitals, on average, receive $13k for each patient they diagnose with CV-19, and three times that amount if they admit them.

I watched the news a couple of weeks ago, as Dr. Fauci explained, in response to a question from the WH press corps, that if a patient with heart disease dies of a heart attack but had been admitted to the hospital with CV-19, they will most definitely list the latter as the cause of death.

I only mention this to complete the circle with @pgjackson's post, about a week ago, which you dismissed as "conspiracy theory."

Like @texdawg, I'm interested in the truth and the middle ground. You make plenty of good points on this thread @YaleDawg, but so does @pgjackson.

This discussion has been closed.