Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Do The Braves have enough starting pitching to contend ?..

13»

Comments

• Options
    RomeDawg288RomeDawg288 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Absolutely NOT! Fried and that is it. Maybe the worst starting five they have ever had plain and simple. I love the future of Toussaint - think he will be a very good to great starter in a couple of years or more but will likely have growing pains this year and next. The others I have given up on. Folty - so much promise reminds me of Smoltz prior to figuring it out early in his career; Hamels - is his career over? Newcombe, a headcase that needs to stay in the bullpen for middle inning/setup role; Wright is simply not ready and Ynoa - same story.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

Saying this is the worst starting 5 the Braves have ever had ages you at (guessing) under 40??? But your point still stands. Not looking good.

The late 70’s were pretty bad.

I’m hoping this rotation will turn out to be like the 88 Braves, with several young pitchers starting promising careers.

• Options
    RomeDawg288RomeDawg288 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nope, lived through those horrible 70s teams too. This team is reminding me of Niekro and the rest of that starting staff.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We came in to the year with three solid starters (counting Hamel) and a bullpen that could be fantastic. I’m not sure how Hamel was deemed ready enough to sign, but that seems like a major miscalculation. One injury later, and we are left with Fried (who is fantastic). Meanwhile, Snitker keeps using Luke Johnson which is baffling to me. The staff has not been managed well at all and injuries aren’t helping.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The team has been struggling. Acuna is still out. With Soroka gone, Fried's the ace of the staff by default. And he comes out tonight and deals 6+ innings of shutout ball. 1.24 ERA on the season. Impressive.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fried is a stud. Great stuff, but it is what is between his ears that separates him. And what seems to keep others from being good (i.e. see Newcombe, Folty, Wright, etc.).

Pitching is all about adversity. How will you react when things don't go well?

Sports are all about adversity. How will you react when things don't go well?

Life is all about adversity. How will...

And this is reason #38 we need sports...

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Right now I don’t see anyone even passable as a major league starter past Fried. In past years I’d expect someone in the minors to be able to give the team at least 5 innings every other start in an emergency. Right now I don’t trust our 2-5 to have one of those decent starts per time through the rotation.