Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Something is really bothering me about Dawgnation

Comments

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

You're right. It would be better without any politics here. There has been lots by both sides. The virus thread was always going to derail into politics and it did....yet stayed up because it was relevant. Rian Davis called HW a fool and it was relevant due to the tension in the DawgNation it caused. When questions about how proper it was came up many people rushed to Davis side since “times are changing....we have recruits who read this and may not sign with us!”. Those threads were quickly shut down while other flavors of politics went on.

• brady01brady01 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well while I agree I come here to read about football but does that mean we ban all the other off topic posts as well? Why not have a politics specific thread, you can choose to click on it or not. If someone gets out of line there then posts can be closed. Just a thought...

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

We are not here to discuss hot-button political or social issues. There are plenty of other places for that.

That is in the forum guidelines in answer to your question about politics

• Dawgsince76Dawgsince76 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • jc30116jc30116 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

4th all time behind Jerry Rice, Emmit Smith, and Walter Payton and ahead of Frank Gore. Without the USFL numbers he is 47th.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/yds_from_scrimmage_career.htm

• OdinOdin Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Putting off field issues aside. Lawrence Taylor is the best of all time IMO. Deion Sanders next.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great 20th post.

Why should anyone care what someone thinks about reading a forum in which they don’t participate?

There are really very few political posts. “Unbeievably tired” is a foolishly dramatic claim.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s 2020 bro....times are weird....

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The best NFL running back ever is Jimmy Brown and maybe the best NFL player ever. If not Jimmy it was Sammy Baugh Sammy was not only a top QB he was a top safety and a top punter.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The precedent has been set for a long time that it's ok to mock and silence certain people in society because it's "justified". Those folks stayed quiet and polite for a long time but eventually got pretty fed up with the absurd accusations being hurled around. The pendulum is swinging back, but it really bothers some that got used to things as they were.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like that idea @brady01. Currently there is no way to avoid political topics in sports. It is everywhere, even on Dawgnation. In the last week there have been at least 2 specific articles politically connected. I think making a threas for it would keep it out of gen pop.

As for the "We are not here to discuss hot button political or social issues" line. I find it amazing that our overlords never finish that paragraph. Here let me do it for you.

"There are plenty of other places for that. Threads that dovetail into these areas will be closely monitored."

Nowhere does it say that they will be immediately closed.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Then you need to change the rest of the rule, which is usually omitted when a mod shuts down a thread. It says that those "hot-button" threads "will be closely monitored". It DOES NOT say political threads are forbidden. Some mods are more aggressive about selectively enforcing this rule using the first half of the sentence as justification.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep. The freaking NBA has BLM painted on the court. I assume the NFL will do something similar. NCAA will not be far behind. Politics is being rammed down our throat by sports. When current UGA players rip an American Icon and UGA legend over supporting the police. Well, its offensive, ignorant, and it needs to be addressed. Sorry guys, politics and sports are intertwined. College teams are literally walking alway from practices in protest. College football is going to look just like the NFL very soon.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think you’re using the second half of the statement in exactly the same manner you accuse the mods of using the first half.

Taken in its entirety, the rule is a continuation of the previous rule, and assumes that any thread started on this board will be on the topic of UGA sports, specifically UGA/SEC/college football. Recognizing the nature of threads to move topics during their lifespan, the author added that any thread that wanders into the hot button topics will be closely monitored, which is what happens. The rule does not afford the courtesy of monitoring when the thread is started with the intent of discussing a hot button issue, because any such thread inherently does not align with the stated intent of the board.

Enforcement is in the eye of the mod, of course. It’s not perfect, but it’s what we have.

• roydawgroydawg Posts: 580 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gawd I hope not. The players can say whatever they like, but when it’s game time I don’t want to see all that. I don’t watch football to be indoctrinated with anybody’s viewpoint on social or political issues. I enjoy a few hours away from being bombarded.

This discussion has been closed.