Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Early bars and memories from your time in the Classic City

Comments

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was there late '80's for undergrad thru mid '90's for law school. I remember Morton Square well, and nickel nights at Lowery's! Good stuff.

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've got to plead the fifth on this thread. Not sure if the statute of limitations has run out on some of my decade plus long hijinks in the Classic City.

• Options
    PortlanddawgPortlanddawg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭ Junior

The Half Moon pub was downtown and connected to another bar (An Irish bar. O’Malley’s? Flannigan’s?). that I can’t remember. But you walk down the stairs and it was in the basement. Small and cozy. One of my favorites to get away from raging parties for a minute and just chill and have a drink.

I’m in the Southwest in Portland. In the hills. I’ve been out here for about 23 years now.

• Options
    DawgByteDawgByte Posts: 416 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

O' Malley's was my favorite, especially in the Spring. Sitting out on the deck with a frothy one overlooking the creek. The best.

• Options
    njdawg81njdawg81 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I've touched on these in some previous events - mostly focused on cheap drinks and entertainment!

B&L Warehouse; Great bands including Mothers Finest, Choice, etc.. Wednesday Zoo Night; $5 cover, free bear and well drinks for a penny!

Other Place; Great bands - same as B&L

O'Malleys; occasional drink specials but just a relaxed place to hang out and drink.

40 Watt Club; The "2S" and REM. Always a wild time

There was a pizza place just off Baxter near Millage call Express Pizza (I think) that had a Thursday afternoon special called the 'Pressure Cooker'. Essentially starting in the afternoon, pitchers of beer were 10 cents. That lasted until someone left or someone went to the bathroom. TAs you can imagine, the longer the special lasted the more pressure there was. You did not want to not be the one that went to the bathroom first!

• Options
    Beach73Beach73 Posts: 50 ✭✭✭ Junior

In the fall of 1970, there used to be a bar in Normaltown, right next to Alan's (the steak sandwich and cold long neck bar), that opened kegs on Thursday afternoon at 5:00 pm and the beers were $.05 a glass until the kegs ran out. Can't remember the name, but the crowds were tremendous. Very similar to a frat-sorority social... good times.

• Options
    TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I remember a fantastic funk band called the Mighty Majors that played at frat parties. Also Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts. These were like the band from Animal House.

Went to the “newer” 40-Watt circa 1984 to see a friend’s older brother play in a western-reggae type band. Distinctly remember asking a girl for directions and she replied, “Glad to see you’re freaking the place, man, they need more people!”

Saw REM free at old Legion Pool around 1983 just after Murmur was released and there were people driving in from Clemson and other places to see the show.

Favorite food places: Sons of Italy pizza in 5 points, Classic Sub Shop across from Brumby, and the Taco Stand on Prince. Awesome times there in the early 80s.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,039 mod
  • Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

I was in Athens from 86-90. We could walk to Papa Joe’s from our fraternity house when it was originally across Baxter St from Guthrie’s. It was a blast. The other bars were decided upon by the bands playing: Uptown Lounge, 40 Watt (various locations over the years), TK’s, hearing John Barry. After some late nights it was either Herbies, Waffle House, or Krystals on Prince Ave.

• Options
    DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just heard Taco Stand closed.

• Options
    dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I graduated in 1977, was pretty young. I remember my friend, Tommy Blake (wish I could contact him now) from Columbus, bought me my first Heineken at TK Harty's. I recall a place called the Hedges that had live bands. Ate regularly at Alice's Crazy Corner Cafe, also at a "meat and 3" house that had awesome cornbread. I didn't have much discretionary money (was on a National Merit Scholarship), but there was a bar/sub shop where Harry's is that we frequented, just don't recall the name.

• Options
    DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We had spaghetti dinner for 3 bucks me thinks downtown at Tony’s Air Conditioned Restaurant.

• Options
    edited November 2020

Regarding Guthrie’s, we used to always listen to the “Guthrie’s Q-105 quiz” on the radio at 11:45 right before going to lunch at Snelling. First to answer the trivia question won 2 Guthrie’s chicken finger plates.

I won one time by answering “what is the back boundary line in tennis called?”

Nowadays with Google and smartphones these kind of trivia questions wouldn’t be fair.

• Options
    njdawg81njdawg81 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bussed tables and washed dishes for a year at a place called The Spaghetti Store downtown. People came there just for the garlic butter and bread they served. After closing we all would sit around and drink beer and eat. Great times.

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Allen's, The Dog House, TK's, B&L Warehouse, streaking, big band concerts at Stegman and the worst you could catch was the crabs. That was Athens in the 70's.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I remember thinking in 86 that Guthrie’s had to be good for me because it was chicken. Guthrie’s plate of fries, toast and fried chicken is healthy: potatoes, grains, and chicken. Meanwhile, 20 lbs later...

• Options

We ate at the Spaghetti Store in 1996 when visiting Athens for the Olympic soccer matches.