Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Early bars and memories from your time in the Classic City

ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

@828dawg mentioned in another thread, O'Malleys was a "go to" bar in the 70's and 80's. Any of us older Dawgs want to share fun times there or others?

Maybe 5th Quarter on a Friday afternoon before game day?

Comments

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Thursday nights were "date nights" at the O. Went there not only for "ladies" night, but to scope and try to get dates for the game on Saturday.

The 5th on Fridays afternoon was to have fun and brag if you got a date from going to "ladies night" at O'Malleys.

• skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Coopers out on the Lexington Hwy was really a locals only kind of place , redneck for sure , we loved to go there to get back to the real world and away from the college crowd. They had a bar, pool tables and a juke box . I liked to try my luck on the older ladies in there, so one Friday night I struck up a convo and bought this old gal a beer at bar , all she could talk about was her dead hubby, bummer here , so I asked what was in the shoe box she had with her i

On the bar , she said Oh that’s my husband AL, he goes everywhere with me

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can’t remember

• 828dawg828dawg Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

I’ll add on to this from the other thread. My pops was a bartender at o malleys(6’6”), just bonding/reminiscing. I just texted him, I’ll see him this weekend and give some more memories , but he’s loving the stuff so far. @skidmarks ,apparently you know dave wasn’t no baby lol. He was working the bar at BL’s when REM had their first show. A couple highlights you could say: Armadillo palace, papa joes 1.75 pitchers, Allen’s hamburgers (normal town). And if anyone saw a kid running around odyssey, that might have been me

• 828dawg828dawg Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

There seems to be a bit of doom and gloom creeping up with uga fans right now, I just wanted to highlight why we love it. From a kid born in Athens that never had a chance to go.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was in Athens for eight (glorious) years.

Saw countless bands at Georgia Theatre, Uptown Lounge, 40 Watt, and fraternity parties.

Too many bars to remember. O'Malleys, Harry Bisset's, Roadhouse, The Globe, The Foundry, T.K. Harty's, Allen's, Sky's.

Afternoon hangouts at Sons of Italy, Steverino's, Rocky's, Loco's.

Dinner at Peking, Last Resort, DePalma's.

Late nights at The Grill.

Daylight hours at Barnett's News Stand, Wuxtry Records, and George Dean's.

• PortlanddawgPortlanddawg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2020

Your list is almost exactly like mine in my head. What year did you graduate? I graduated in 95. I lived at Morton Square Apartments, right behind the Waffle House at Five Points and was at Sons of Italy and Steverinos all the time. I spent so many nights at the 40 Watt, The Georgia Theater, The Globe, Sky’s Place (free hot dogs on Mondays haha), The Engine Room, Half Moon Pub and nickel nights at Lowery’s. Oh my God. I’m amazed I graduated.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No mention of Tyrones OC yet, probably BC it burned about 1979. Down by the tracks we would jump from the side walk to a box car and from the box car to the extended deck. Then you had a 50 pct chance of walking in the side door free. If there was a bouncer at the side door you just retraced your steps back and paid your $2 or so going through the front.

in my mind this place pre dated what 40 watt became. First time I heard REM there. Sounded crazy so just socialized away from the stage until the beer made it sound good.

Thought I saw a fight in front of the stage so I went up there and it was Mike.Stipes only. He had jumped off the stage and was flopping around like a fish out of water. He leaped to his feet and got right in my face eye ball to eye ball then back on stage.

years later he was Rolling Stones rocker of the 90s It brought those early Athens music scene to mind.

after the bars closed we would climb on the roof. The businesses were abutting but at different heights so you climbed or descend small brick walls to go from building to building. We would also climb atop the Steg with girls or climb into swimming pools at night. Dress code varied from underwear to nothing.

after tyrones OC, Last Chance worthy of mention. Bands were too many to count but Pylon, squalls, and Love Tractor come to mind. Those were Athens bands. But good memories of 10,000 Maniacs, Mother’s Finest and Stevie Ray Vaughan. MF at the B&L.

My Buddy and I were on a roll getting girls to leave at closing and go night swimming. When it looked like that streak was going to end he was reduced to knocking on a dorm door, waking her up only to get the door shut in his face. Returning to my car someone was blocking me in. My buddy, drunk and defeated started cursing, telling the driver to move his car as he approached us out of the dark.

it was Dominique. Could not have been nicer and he apologized and moved his car.

As is often the case, a seemingly bummer was really a good thing:

Blue Laws = bars closing early was when the fun done begun.

for a while lived near the corner of Baxter and Rock Springs. We had a red light on the front porch. Peeps went to bars to find out where the parties were. On occasion REM announced that there was a Party at the house with the red light.

back in the day MLK stayed there while in Athens.

I mentioned climbing atop the Steg. Mountain Top experience and pretty lights.

speaking of the Steg., we had another safety back in the day before Riche. All American and all pro and all Evil Kenieval on the bike. What ever Became of Jake Scott?

• DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

Most have been mentioned.

DTs down under was a nice hole in the wall and good pre-game before the Georgia theatre. $1 shots $1 drafts were hard to beat

back in the day when Dave Mathews and kinchafoonee cowboys were regulars among others

It’s great reading all these , the bars, music and bands mentioned clearly date your time in the classic city, so I can tell most everyone’s age by their post , by a decade anyway

Yeah OldDawg sounds a year younger than me and I ain’t old.

except when I see my photo, or now Zoom, or dealing with yet another joint gingerly to get back in action

Is or was half moon pub at five points? There was a place at 5 points that served potent $3 Long Island teas. Glad we lived crawling distance.

we lived in the Oregon Portland for 12 years. NE. What part do you live?

• KeithsaxonKeithsaxon Posts: 683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mad hatter!! Man does that bring back memories! Seeing Illusion and Mothers Finest! I wish I could remember every moment!