Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Do you think its okay for a player to opt out midway through the season?

Comments

• DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Right and to think that the narrator is more important than the person. People make decisions based on information they think is true. If later that information is not true and you want to make a change. Then go do it. A coach sure doesn’t think about the recruits he fished in when taking another head coaching job

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    No, being a team player still means something

When people make everything about “me” while selling out the”us” they seriously damage what makes a team (and a community) strong.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020
    Yes, gotta get mine

When I was in the Marines, everything was about "us". Loyalty was a priority. Wherever the Corps sent you, you had loyalty to that unit, and your leadership had loyalty to you. Since retiring and starting my civilian career, it's been the opposite. A company will let you go in a heartbeat to save a nickel. It happened to me in 2018. You have to take care of yourself first, because your company will not. The easiest way to save money is to let people go. If something better pops up, you better go for it. My most trusted mentors said "you have to always be looking for another job because the one you have right now isn't guaranteed". The bigger, better deal (the BBD) might be right there if you are looking.

Elite football players are in it to make money in the NFL. That's the system that has been established. NCAA is just a long job interview. If this guy things he has enough equity built up to make a run at the NFL, hey, good for him. MSU is hot garbage right now. That's on the coach. The coach failed to provide an environment of success. Don't blame upperclassmen for wanting to bail on a sinking ship. That next play could be your last.

A society cannot survive without “us” and the more people act selfishly—the more likely it is that things we love like football will cease being an opportunity for financial gain.

Yes, gotta get mine

Not sure how watching out for yourself is considered selfish. Football has turned into big business. Players make million dollar business decisions all the time. If this kid destroys his knee in some meaningless game, is the university going to make sure he is adequately compensated? No. He is SOL. It's just sports. Some of you take it way too seriously. The kid isn't abandoning his child or his wife....he's opting out of a sports entertainment season to seek a better deal. So what?

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, what about the teammates he leaves behind? Any considerations to your "brothers" there?

What about the 90% of the roster who have zero chance of going pro, and whose athletic career is just college? Any consideration to trying to win for them?

I am sorry you are in a professional that is so cutthroat. I know you say it's that way everywhere. I would disagree.

I have no say in what anyone chooses to do. I’m simply pointing out that Football is a microcosm for our society. How each of chooses to live either weakens the society or strengthens it. Weaken it and you won’t have opportunities like football. Just my opinion.

• mantis_toboggan69mantis_toboggan69 Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    Yes, gotta get mine

im willing to bet his “brothers” understand where he’s coming from and are wholly supportive.

edited November 2020
    Yes, gotta get mine

It's still just a sport. He's not leaving brothers dying on the battlefield. It's a game. I'm sure his teammates are hoping he succeeds with his NFL dreams.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

Sure. We will just disagree I guess on whether this is right as far as football, and most likely if it's just the right way attitude to live by.

By the way, looking out for yourself is the definition of being selfish. The debate is whether or not selfish is still considered a negative thing.

I believe your life is supposed to be about doing as much for others as you can, putting them before you...

There is that whole “love your neighbor” thing Jesus talked about that doesn’t sit well with selfishness. The OP qualified the original question asking if it’s ok to opt out “mid season.” That’s different from deciding to leave college a year early.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

If you feel like your talents aren't being used and maybe you would be appreciated elsewhere, yes. Just like the programs, the players have to look out for themselves.

Fields, Eason, etc.

A player opting out at any point after committing to a program is on the coaching staff.

Perennial top 5 recruiting classes and no NC will be the undoing of Smart as it was for RIcht.

• Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I totally get that a football player's physical health and ability is a limited commodity. At what point in life does someone learn to make and keep a commitment? The entire football experience is becoming more and more one-dimensional, and as a mama of three sons, I'm concerned it does not do these fellas or their communities much good at all.

edited November 2020

I would argue that doesn't matter. The Israelites of the Bible fell into idol worship because their neighbor was supportive of it. That didn't make it right. It just meant that a whole people sinned against God.

Hey, I'm not really judging Mr. Hill's decision. I don't know the man's heart. I'm commenting on the circumstance in general and how it reflects an erosion of values in our culture. There was a time not so long ago when his "brothers" would have condemned him for doing it.

Our culture has become very supportive of "me" at any cost. That doesn't make it best for a community or for a football team.

• 92BHDAWG92BHDAWG Posts: 102 ✭✭✭ Junior

If you are going to opt out, I believe it should be don’t before the season starts. You don’t play multiple games during the season then decide to opt out half way through. That’s selfish and weak in my opinion.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Yes, gotta get mine

Community values and one personal football choice have nothing to do with one another. This guy, or any other player, can still possess great values and be an asset to his community all while deciding to opt out. Several on here are acting is if they go hand in hand, when in fact they don't.

Yes, gotta get mine

What if he’s looking out for his mother, father, siblings, girlfriend/wife, children, community, etc.?

Yes, gotta get mine

Sharing this since it hasn’t been posted here yet. Also, wasn’t Hill one of the players vital to getting the Mississippi state flag changed?

What a selfish POS.