Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football championship dreams on hold until nightmare quarterback situation is solved

13»

Comments

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Vandagriff is no guarantee to be the savior. He has great potential to be but we just don’t know until we get him in here and compete against this level of competition. Kirby often speaks about preparation so I hope he heeds his own advice and prepare a QB for next year. Bennett and Mathis is not it. If I were Daniels, I would hit the portal seeing what this staff thought of me. I can’t see the initiative to stay. Unfortunately, damage has already been done to JT.

At this point since we won’t be playing for a NC, I would put my marbles in Beck. Give him the game experience it takes to grow to a top tier D-1 QB. Then if Vandagriff is the bomb, let them battle it out. We can’t afford to go in to next season like we did this one.

I was pulling for Bennett because of his story and heart. I was pulling for Mathis because of his story. But a story book ending is not to be.

I struggle getting past “Our best chance to win”, is our QB room really that weak, or is the evaluation and development that weak?

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What do we need? A few more great recruiting classes? Is that it? Or do we need to coach up the players we have? Are we overachieving with our talent or underachieving? You tell me.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow! These comments sound like Clemson fans before Mark Richt gifted Dabo with Deshaun Watson!

Kirby has UGA far ahead of where Dabo had Clemson at the same juncture in their careers. All it took for Dabo was the right QB and a couple of years to develop him.

For all that still have their lips pressed firmly to Richt’s backside, remember that Brice Ramsey was Richt’s choice for QB as a recruit and Watson was barely an afterthought until deep into Watson’s senior season in HS just up the road from Athens. By then, Dabo had Watson firmly committed and Richt left the Dawgs with Ramsey, Bauta, and Mason at QB for 2014. With the offense sputtering with Mason and the fans clamoring for Bauta, Richt finally acquiesced in the UF game strangely enough which ultimately led to Richt’s getting canned. The very fans that have such fond memories of Richt now are the same ones that demanded a QB change and got their man kicked to the curb! Hilarious!

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

At least Dabo could coach up the QB's and showcase their talents. He adapted the offense to fit the players strong points.

• Options
    edited November 2020

All that I heard, and read, about the offense "opening it up" this season, during the off-season. Nothing more than a space filler for articles. Same old offense we've seen time and time again the past several years. An OC can only do what a HC allows them to do..

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I really want to see someone dig into the situation with both our portal QBs. Did Newman see the writing on the wall and opt out to avoid playing in a lackluster offense? Or was his accuracy (or some other attribute) not up to the task and he left to go train himself up? Or was it really COVID concern?

And is Daniels really not healthy/mobile enough? Or is he not wanting to play? Or is his accuracy (or some other attribute) not up to the task?

Granted, this season is unprecedented, but getting two QBS and having to rely on what we already had seems like a huge miss. What happened? There have to be some sources who can talk unnamed if needed to give us some clarity.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby is on the cusp this time for real. UGA has a massive investment in what is now become a mediocre team...because the QBs are not quality players. They win games but not big games. I am looking at one or two more losses...Mizzou and possibly Miss State, They run offenses that seem to beat Kirby. I predict UGA will end third in the SEC East. I am not being negative ...realist. Bennett was really hurting with that shoulder separation. Someone needs to remind Mathis he has two legs and yes they can run too. Both QBs were way off target...just not SECC material. This Mullen win does not surprise me at all. He was the better coach and had the better team...Saturday. They will win the SEC East..UGA will get Pudding Bowl...if that. 2021 is all I am concerned with now...is Vandagriff the savior? Many say no. I say ...yes. It is not any of the current room..no. Let's start from scratch with Brock and see where it lands. Kirby cannot continue to slide backwards or he is OUT. The pressure on AD McGarity must be pretty hot right now.

• Options
    BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just like it did with Richt. We can't wait 12 years with KS to make it right. KS is regressing next year need to be on the uptick or replace.

• Options
    IowadawgfanIowadawgfan Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

the era of running the ball over and over , scoring 10 pts and letting the defense try and win is long gone but yet our coach is still trying to play that way and were suffering bad for it ,, please just focus on defense let the offinsive coordinator do what they get paid to do and get the hell out of the way of success and bring uga football into the 21st century please ,,

• Options
    BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

He was also a coordinator for Clemson then made HC, big difference than hiring a coordinator elsewhere and bringing in to right the ship.

• Options
    IowadawgfanIowadawgfan Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

timothy im not sure what your trying say or even where ur goin with your comaparisons or defense of cks, but i watched richt coach to not lose the game rather than to win the game over and over , thats why he was fired , this guy has all the talent in the world and cant do jack dillitty with it cuz of the exact same philosphy and the fact hes not willing to let his coordinators do there jobs , cks is a micro manager and has to have everything his way ,, he doest want an air raid offense , hello eason and feilds , he wants a game manager and low scoring defense wins champioships 1990s style , the game passed this guy up and until he pulls a saban and welcomes the new trend it will always be the same

• Options

Sadly, Fields would've never put up video game stats in a 1950s style offense the way he has at Ohio State.

• Options
    SAVDGDSAVDGD Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yup, I understand and agree with all that. Kirby is a big part of the push towards getting them to open their wallet.

• Options
    SAVDGDSAVDGD Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think Kirby is a bad coach, I just think his mindset is geared heavily towards a conservative, risk-averse, clampdown mentality - which is what it takes to lead a great defense. Unfortunately, that also means his mentality or personality negatively affects offensive success.

Kirby's also a victim of the time, because had he been our coach during the Richt years, we might be seeing different success with his approach, because the defense was more important then. But the game has shifted.

Richt is the opposite - he couldn't field a great defense when he had a solid offense, in a defense-oriented era.

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

Couldn't state the state of UGA football any better than Bill King: "Inflating your recruiting standing by loading up your defense with more 5-star linebackers than you can play is not going to win national championships nowadays. If Smart really wants to elevate his program to the same level as Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State, he’s going to have to get serious about signing (and keeping) top-rated quarterbacks. And, yes, I know Georgia has one slated to come in next year, but the problem they’re facing now is a result of poor recruiting at that position (and wide receiver) over the past two seasons since Fields was in Athens. The fact that the Dawgs were depending on a graduate transfer QB who bailed on them for a season in which they legitimately thought they had a shot at making the playoff speaks volumes about the lack of priority Smart has put on building his offense in the same way he’s built his defense."

All I can see is that we're OFFICIALLY in trouble as a program. And it will take several years and perhaps even a HC change to get there. Don't underestimate where we are....we are not in a good place Dawg fans!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

By his actions on the sideline Dwan is extremely immature kid. Can that be coached out of him? Has it been coached out of Pickens? Looking distraught, feeling sorry for yourself with you head in your hands isn't a good look when the game has time left enough to make a go at it.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You need to do some research before making baseless claims. Even playing in the All Cupcake Conference, Dabo was very average his first five years and not even close to Kirby in the SEC! Even with a future NFL talent in Watson, it took Dabo three years to develop him into a championship quality QB. I understand the disappointment in this year’s team, but that shouldn’t make so many in Dawg Nation mindlessly delusional!

• Options
    SteelerDawgSteelerDawg Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm sorry but if I see Stetson Bennett in a game again this season I'm never writing another check to this program until they win a national championship. I would rather end up in the Peach Bowl with a developed QB for next year than pretending this team is a championship team only to lose badly to Alabama, Clemson, and the like.

• Options
    edited November 2020

May have took 3 years BUT He was still able to develop him.. You said it. Kirby has yet to prove he can and I don't see it changing when he's a defensive coach. Fromm regressed every year he was here under Kirby. Let the OC do what he's paid to do, or you'll be looking for another real soon.. FAR from delusional. But believe what you like if it helps you sleep at night.

• Options
    edited November 2020

And most of Kirbys success came his first 2 years as a coach.. With recruits from the previous coach. Chubb, Michel leave for the NFL and don't come back their senior year, UGA never makes the SECCG. Kirby inherited a program in MUCH better shape than Dabo did.. So who is being mindlessly delusional???