Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Time to move on from Crean

Comments

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

4 big pick-ups for UGA so far -- some 6-7 wings who have hit over 40 percent from 3 at the D-1 level and Abdur-Rahim was NJ Player of the Year and Top 40 two seasons ago. The 6-10 kid should be ok. Need another big man, I'd say.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s possible the transfers away from our program were all looking at a lot of reduced playing time with these new transfers coming in to us. Who knows? The Camara one is the one that does hurt, because he is a solid starter on any SEC team. However, the transfers in this week all bode well for 2021-22.

• Options
    donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So for now, we can put away the pitch forks and torches and let Crean coach this new influx of talent? Was it Waylon and/or Willie who sang "Leave them boys alone and let 'em sing their songs"? Sounds good to me. Who knows? May turn out like it did with Tray Scott when many wanted to run him out of town. Now? Not so much.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Wheeler in the portal

• Options
    Razor2027Razor2027 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wheeler declared for the NBA draft...so how can he be in the portal?

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Not hiring an agent so he is reserving his right to return to school.

• Options
    edited April 2021

This month has been horrible for the hoop Dawgs. Here is a quote from Wheeler in the ESPN article on his announcement:

"To be honest, watching the NCAA tournament was tough -- it was the first time I was jealous of anyone playing basketball. Being isolated due to COVID and not having the experience of playing in the tournament at the end of the year is something I do not want to go through again."

• Options

Maybe so. I get many other programs are suffering from the same issue with key players transferring. However, we have had three starters on next year’s team leave (so far) and don’t have any extraordinary recruits coming in from high school. We are picking up some very good transfers, but it’s hard to see how we will do any better than we did with Anthony Edwards on the team two years ago. I’m not sure we will ever know why these players are leaving, but it is no longer reasonable to keep our program with CTC if - and this is a big if - another strong coach is available. If not, you just ride out next year, don’t renew his contract, and make a change after yet another year of mediocre basketball.

• Options
    BumBum Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Our starters weren’t good caliber SEC starters though, we’re they? I watched wheeler last season a bunch and I’m sure he got better second year but his ceiling I think is average SEC PG at best. I didn’t watch hardly any games this season after the horrible start. Not worth my time.

I wonder if Crean is telling the players no starting position is safe I am going out to find as many good players at every position as I can, because he knows he must improve this team top to bottom. And guys are deciding to leave instead of go through that. Just a hunch

• Options

I was not enamored of Wheeler as a point guard. A good player but nowhere near the top for SEC point guards. Not sure who'll take his place though.

• Options
    BumBum Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Exactly my sentiment of Wheeler. Seems like Crean is trying to upgrade at every position to me. I’ve been following the transfers so far and hey, if this is how we have to do it for a year to improve, I’m all for it. Id expect he’s already got a PG that Wheeler caught wind of...

• Options
    HipdawgHipdawg Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior

Give him another year, and then we should have a clearer picture of the situation. Just my opinion.

• Options

Folks were calling for Stricklin's firing early in his tenure. Now, I don't think anyone would consider it. Give Crean some more time. I don't think we are going to talk Roy Williams out of retirement nor coax coach K to move to Athens.

• Options
    3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

saying it again. to be kind . crean is not the guy....side note: .coaching in college bball became nearly impossible with the "newportal." tough to invest in kids development when they could jet. the game will have less continuity and random teams may catch fire and win a tittle....so if your into widespread pandemonium in march it may be fun......but expect college bball to look more like aau .....due to most teams = 1 or 2 and done.....its the wild west....if coaches have a tough time investing into players.....think of fans....