Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Time to move on from Crean

Teton82Teton82 Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

I don’t like to see anyone lose their job, but let’s face it - mediocre results don’t cut it. Couple that that with a large portion of people leaving, you know something is wrong.

His teams play haphazard, too small, can’t shoot, have too many turnovers, are undisciplined and at times don’t seem to know what to do. Watching the NCAA tournament has made it quite clear how far away UGA is from getting there.

Camara going into the portal is the straw that has broken Crean’s back. To add insult to injury, rumor has KD Johnson considering the same. That would leave Wheeler has the only player he has recruited that can truly play. (I’m not counting grad transfers)

He is getting beat on the recruiting trail day in and day out. The state of Georgia has plenty of talent, yet they seem to always leave.

There is nothing special about his incoming class. If the grad transfers don’t stick around, this team could be awful next year.

Josh Brooks - you can’t wait as this programs spirals down and down. You need to make a move NOW!

Comments

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

WOW... thats a heck of a first post ......

• DestinDawgDestinDawg Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2021

Maybe Ky will fire Calipari and we can scoop him up.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Want to know average program players in the portal across programs and how many of ours that are non PT reasons.

Yes UGA should recruit. When was the last time I recollect big time BBall UGA recruiting was circa 1978? I know that we have had many great players since, but I am talking recruiting in bunches.

Bottom line, I need to know why players are in the Portal.

• Teton82Teton82 Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

Wow, this confirms the apathy surrounding UGA basketball. Sad - because UGA should be a better program than our history demonstrates.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So post #1 .... trash the basketball coach

Post #2 .. trash UGA fans for not responding to post #1 as much as you wanted them to.

You're killing it tiger....

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Crean recruited really well three years ago. Hiring the guy who can recruit & coach hasn’t happened since Tubby left. Honestly, that still stings. Anyway, the team next year is not going to win more than three conference games unless we get some amazing transfers (which could happen). @Teton82 where do you get information about Johnson transferring? Or, is this just you only suggesting it could happen?

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA would be crazy to move on from Crean at this point before it reaps the benefits of producing the No. 1 overall NBA draft pick. Antman is close to Crean and endorses him. Give that time to resonate with youth, IMO.

• dawg_fan_66dawg_fan_66 Posts: 97 ✭✭✭ Junior

It’s time to move on. Edwards was going to be a top 5 pick no matter where he went, I did NOT see any improvement in his year in Athens. The players are lining up to get out of there, something is not right.

• Teton82Teton82 Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

I understand Mike’s point. Transfers are out the roof. I think the average is 3 players per school. No way all the kids find new homes and in some cases, no new home or JC.

However, Anthony Edwards support doesn’t change some basic issues that show on the court and in recruiting so far. Oladipo supported/supports Crean, but that didn’t change the game at Indiana after he went pro. Highly rated players don’t seem to be flocking to play for Crean because of these high draft picks that played for him.

The questions comes, who is currently a better option? But, at 3.2 mil a year the expectation is to see significant improvement. That hasn’t happened. It doesn’t help that Rick Barnes, Ben Howland, Kermit Davis, Eric Musselman, and Nate Oats have had more impact at their current schools.

All evidence points to Crean being here for a potential make or break season next year. Something has to change for the better. I’m sure Tom Crean is well aware of that fact.

• dawg_fan_66dawg_fan_66 Posts: 97 ✭✭✭ Junior

Advocate how? I haven’t seen every interview or read every article where Edwards was quoted but I haven’t seen very much reference to Crean or UGA. Edwards is not synonymous with UGA, he played one year and they weren’t good. I’m sure he would say good things about Crean/UGA if directly asked but how often will that happen. Just think this relationship will have little effect on future recruiting. Crean got lucky that Edwards was from the state of Georgia. Otherwise, I have not been impressed with his work on the trail. I love Wheeler and his work ethic, he puts up decent numbers because he is asked to do everything. It is my opinion that the team has not progressed and they often look ill-prepared.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I coach basketball one state over...

..and I constantly have to inform people that he played at Georgia. No one associates him with UGA basketball outside of the state of GA, and I would argue not many do inside GA.

And, to top that, when I remind everyone he played at UGA, their next question is "why were they so bad?"

But the transfer issue is not a UGA issue, it's part of the culture. Every one of these kids played on a different AAU team every year. Changing teams is not that big a deal. My concern is their EDUCATION, and if they ever get a degree...

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The NCAA has to do something about the transfers because of the impact it will have on the percentage of basketball players getting degrees. It makes it virtually impossible to graduate if you change schools while playing a sport.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Camara was the only transfer that will sting other than that we have upgraded in size and with the Abdul-Rahim pick-up today we have a better score and better team than we ended with this season. Wheeler has more size and another score to distribute the ball to and take some pressure off. Abdul-Rahim didn't play much because of injury, but he is a significant upgrade from Camara if he stays healthy.

• Razor2027Razor2027 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And yet another big body added today. 6'6 Noah Baumman from Southern Cal. At least Crean seems to be adding quality to replace our losses.

• Razor2027Razor2027 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And who at the moment is on the radar, better, and willing to come here? With all the "Fire Crean" talk, I'm just curious as to who everyone thinks is the savior of UGA basketball?