Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The Atlanta Hawks Exceeding Expectations/ Mark Bradley Article/Bandwagon Time

Comments

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He's doing the best he can taking away easy shots at the rim and forcing 3's and mid range jump shots or fade aways. Embiid just makes them

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2021

Capella needs to be more consistently aggressive on offense, he is a consistent defensive and rebounding force though. If he had a scorers's mentality he'd be more valuable down the stretch in playoff games. Where this team might be short of the best teams is in not having an off ball scorer who can take over in the clutch. Management needs to go all in and try to sign Kawhi Leonard during the free agent signing period. He's west coast though, from childhood, to HS to college and back as soon as he had a choice in The NBA, he's always lived and played in Southern Cal.

• Options
    edited June 2021

I think Russell for sure would be able to force Embiid out of the flow of the Sixers's offense, it's not just about how many points he gets. I think Olajuwan had the quickness and smarts to alter his game as well. Shaq could take the low post away from any center, that wouldn't stop Embiid, but it would help box off his options.

• Options
    donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can't agree on Russell. He never had to guard guys like Embid, but there weren't really any of them for him to guard . We was so athletic though...and a competitor....I'm confident he'd have learned how to do it.

• Options
    BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just started watching so we went from 5 down to 12 down so I probably need to stop watching and come back later.

JOHN COLLINS has to step up physicality and scoring in the paint to make Embiid work harder.

• Options

Agree! Capella is Saavy and smart. True professional competitor. All the credit to Embiid.

Ive got to stop watching. Hawks are stumbling after being punched in 3 qtr. Hope they can grow up quick.

• Options

Russell played against quite a few elite big men, including Wilt and Jabbar. Embiid and a euro step and he can shoot 3s, but he didn't reinvent the game. Russell had superb quickness, including lateral quickness. He might have been the fastest center ever, he was extremely long and he had great defensive accumine. He wouldn't have to shut Embiid down, he didn't shut down Wilt. he isolated Wilt, I think he would do the same to Embiid.

• Options

This roster can't win a title, it is good, but without a go do guy they don't have the right formula.

• Options
    edited June 2021

Not able to adjust to Phillie’s physicality and unable to establish the 3. Disappointed in John Collins. No go to guy to take pressure off of Young. Collins should be able to get more shots off than Galanari.

• Options
    edited June 2021

Go back at least 50 years. In every year but one since 1980 the champion has had at least one superstar, most have had at least two. I think either a young player on this roster will have to develop to become a 4th quarter go to star, or more likely, sign or trade for one to have a reasonable shot at a title. I've posted twice before in this thread the big prize in the upcoming free agent market is Kawhi Leonard, he would make us an instant threat. Demar DeRozan would be a flawed but potent option as well.

• Options
    emanresuemanresu Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Embid would have used Russell like a Q-Tip man are u serious right now. Russell was like 6'9 220 or so and would've been no match for Embid at 7'2 280.

• Options
    emanresuemanresu Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Truthfully, Atlanta was NEVER gonna win this series and the reality is that Atlanta is gonna have to make a blockbuster trade to bring a second Superstar in here to take some pressure off of Trae (Bradley Beal anyone). Atlanta has the assets to pull this off and it'll just depend on who becomes available but thats what it's gonna take for the Hawks to be able to compete with Brooklyn, Milwaukee and Philadelphia in the East moving forward. Sure, u could stand pat, let the team grow organically and hope that that 2nd Superstar emerges from among Hunter, Collins or Reddish but frankly if it were me I'd b trying to pluck Beal out of Washington while holding onto Capela, Bogdanovich, Okongwu, Huerter and I'd try to hold onto Dunn due to the presence of Kyrie and James Harden in the East. Atlanta front office is gonna have some tough decisions in the Offseason as far as how to get this team to the next level.

• Options

Beal will be an UFA in 2022. That free agent class will be absolutely loaded, maybe the best ever. The team will also have a lot of luxury cap space in 2022 if they let Collins go and only add low cost fillers. Trae has to be paid before or after the 2022 season but the team could still have enough space to sign a max contract FA. They can work this approach while still looking at all options to aquire a star this coming offseason. I think Gallinari was a questionable signing. He is costing 21 million next season and the role he fills seems fairly minimal to me. I think looking to include him in trade talks along with exploring sign and trade options with Collins might be smart.

• Options
    edited June 2021

Wilt was huge and Russell beat him head to head many times. Russell was 6'10'', but he was extremely long, athletic and the smartest big defender in history. His career defensive rating almost doubles the second place guy's rating. Russell would fit this era like a glove defensively. Nobody playing today is as suited to defending the perimeter while also being able to take bigs in the paint as Russell was. There is an 11 second video on Youtube of Russell sprinting full court with the ball, jumping over a player and finger rolling the ball into the basket to seal his first NBA title as a rookie that looks almost super human.

Also wrap your mind around this, Wilt had a 7'8'' wingspan and a 48 inch vertical leap, Russell played man defense on him in more games than any modern player matches up against any other player because there were fewer teams. Do you really think guarding Embiid would be harder than guarding Wilt ?

• Options

Great and gritty win at Phillips tonight. 103-100 after looking overmatched till down the stretch. Embiid couldn't hit a bucket, Trae couldn't hit a bucket. When they cancel each other out, The Hawks have a chance.

• Options
    donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They won in spite of themselves. Tried to give it away with time running off the clock but somehow managed to hang in there. I see what you mean about needing a go to guy. When Young couldn't get a shot, no one else seemed to want to take the big shot.

• Options
    edited June 2021

It was a sloppy game, but the team fought hard. There aren't many players with both the physical ability and the makeup to be the go to guy in tough playoff games. Other than Lebron, Kawhi Leonard has been the best at it maybe since Kobe's prime. Also we miss the length and athleticism Hunter and Reddish would bring against this big Sixers team.

• Options
    edited June 2021

Proud of them for competing and not pulling a Vanderbilt after being written off. Young teams have to learn a lot of lessons in playoff basketball and tonight the Hawks learned to win a scrappy more physical game. Collins showed up inside and has to do more of the same for the Hawks to win. Okongwo too. Defense has to attack more. I missed most of the game and getting ready to watch rest.

• Options

As far as the team's ceiling going forward, if they don't sign a top free agent or make a big trade it comes down to 4 home grown players, Collins, Hunter, Huerter and Reddish. All 4 are very young and could get considerably better, but Collins may be traded. Reddish has freakish physical gifts, but he's very soft, I doubt he ever reaches his potential. Hunter has already made strides, he could become a solid 3rd option and a plus defender next season. Huerter is solid, he probably won't get much better, but he is already a good player who adds to the rotation.

This discussion has been closed.