Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

The Atlanta Hawks Exceeding Expectations/ Mark Bradley Article/Bandwagon Time

Comments

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Hawks are ahead of schedule. The first half of this year was a train wreck. They are peaking at the right time and showing why a big name would want to land in ATL.

• donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A seasoned coach as opposed to a young'un learning on the job. Team growing up as well. Good combo.

• emanresuemanresu Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Atlanta is fully capable of upsetting Philadelphia if Embid is compromised due to his lower body injuries thats for sure.

• BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You’re right and Philly is the worst matchup for Atlanta. Philly is the #1 seed in the East and the most physical and best defensive team in the league. Philly has slowed Atlanta’s perimeter game and outside/ inside offense, but in game 3 the Hawks were tougher inside, especially Collins, and Trey was more patient with18 assists. The Hawks will need to use the big lineup early against Philly and make them work harder than they want.

I am not looking ahead, but the other teams left are hurting too (Kyrie,Harden,Kawhi,Mitchell). The Hawks have not reached their ceiling, Collins is beginning to assert himself, and they are hopefully adjusting to different styles of play. You never know. I am not betting money, but I am having fun.

• BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Philly is a physical challenge, in that way they are a very tough matchup. I think Brooklyn will be tough for everybody if and when James Harden returns to full health. The NBA more than any other pro league is a players' league, more specifically a superstars's league. How do you defend a team that comes at you with unstoppable weapons from all over the court ? Maybe the only hope against their lineup would be to isolate the man with the ball in his hands, cut off passing lanes and trap the ball.

• emanresuemanresu Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In a previous post I was of the opinion that the Hawks should swing for a big name (Bradley Beal) to b able to better compete in the East but looking at the way injuries are affecting these Playoffs it may b better to hold onto the depth atleast for next year and go from there.

I'm not so proud as to want Embiid at full strength. I don't want his injury to be long term, just long enough for The Hawks to advance.

• donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Didn't seem to miss Harden too much last night. KD was incredible. If healthy, Brooklyn seems to be the class of what's left.

They miss him, just because another all time great had the playoff game of his career doesn't mean it will happen in every critical game. They are still very talented without Harden though, I wouldn't rule them out if he doesn't fully recover soon enough to be a difference maker, but the odds go way down on their chances of winning the NBA championship this year.

A truly dreadful 1st half, down by 22 pts. Trae didn't get his lone assist till the last play of the half, the entire team has just 3 assists.

Unbelievable finish by The Hawks and a huge collapse by Philly for a 3-2 series lead for The Hawks.. Let's close them out in game 6 at home.

Wow Wow Wow. Winning two on the road against the #1 seed.

Against Embiid playing well too

Embiid has averaged 32 pts, 13 rbs, 4.6 assists, 1.2 steals and 2.2 blks, yet The Hawks can close out the series at home in game 6...whodathunkit ?

Trae has averaged 29.6 pts, 10.8 assists, 2 rebounds and 1.6 steals, not bad.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Simmons is such a fraud. Can't believe philly paid that bum

He's a very good passer and among the best defenders in the league, but he's not much on offense.

edited June 2021

He is mismatched trying to play man defense against Trae . There isn't a player his size today who can stay in front of Young.

• DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm jumping on the @YaleDawg bandwagon here. Simmons needs to go. The sooner he does, the sooner Embiid will win a title.

When you would rather see Shaq on the free throw line in the 4th quarter in a close game than Ben Simmons, Simmons is an overpaid bum. If there is a Mendoza line for free throw shooting, Simmons is definitely under that number. 28% FT shooting would get you cut in biddy basketball. Pathetic.

edited June 2021

First off, who wants Philly to win a title ? More to the point, it's knee jerk to blame Simmons for what The Hawks have done in 3 games. Blame their HC for putting such a tall player on Trae, it makes no sense. Trae is the only player on our team who can beat your team, put your best small defender on him till he drives, then use your bigs close enough to the basket where he can't drive past them.

The Showtime Lakers also had a tall PG, but they had Michael Cooper and Byron Scott at SG who could defend most any PG along with the size to defend SGs. Cooper was 6'5'' long and extremely agile and quick. Scott was a very good defender, but not quite in Cooper's league. If The Sixers are going to keep a player with center size at PG they need to add a player or 2 for defending Trae and other small, quick guards.

This discussion has been closed.