Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Moving behind enemy lines.

VreaderVreader Posts: 17 ✭✭✭ Junior

I want to know if my fellow Dawgs fans have experienced the bad luck in the timing of their moves into rival territories that I have. I first had the misfortune of moving to Florida to do my residency at a UF program in 2004 to 2008, the height of Tebow mania and gator arrogance. I had to live through 2 football and 2 basketball championships. After residency I settled into West Georgia, an area that is a battezone between the good guys, RTR, and WDE , just in time to herald the era of Lord Saban in Alabama and have to listen the the Tide fan nurses rave about the championships every other year.

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I lived in orlando 2000-05 which while they didn’t reach great heights but I only got to see one victory.

I stormed out of a Fridays during the 2002 game and my Florida fan roomie at the time teased me about it.

Ive been in nyc ever since and it’s been mostly fine.

• dawfanfromalabamdawfanfromalabam Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Harmony FL 2013-2015. Couldn’t get out of central FL fast enough.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Living way out here in San Diego, the local people around here just stopped following pretty much anything college football-wise when Pete Carroll left USC as fast as possible for Seatlle and the NFL. There’s a small, but very loyal following of the San Diego State Aztecs. They are a decent group of five program, but nothing to compare out here to Georgia, or the SEC. The PAC-12 has basically been a mess for over a decade, with slight rumblings from Washington. However both USC and Oregon seem to be waking up? We will see.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep. I lived in San Diego for 6 years (2007-20013). College sports is not a thing out there. Moved to Pensacola (Gulf Breeze actually) in 2013 and have no plans to move. Found my little piece of paradise. The West Florida panhandle is a weird mix of primarily Auburn, Bama, FSU and LSU fans. Not many fla fans for some reason. They call this area "LA" (Lower Alabama) for a reason. By far, the coolest of the fanbases here are LSU fans. It's weird there isn't more UGA presence in the area since the Georgia border is right there.

• MunsonMemoriesMunsonMemories Posts: 63 ✭✭✭ Junior

Oh god that timeframe from 06-08 will forever be my Inferno as a sports fan... The UF fans where I am at were unbearable. I wasn't around to see the GOAT Herschel in person (Dad was though so there's that) but that Tebow mania was so bad that I honestly couldn't give a **** about the dude. Of course as time has passed and Kirby has flipped the script, I actually wish him well with his comeback attempt in the NFL. What irritated me the most was how fast the fan base checked out when they started losing as if they weren't obnoxiously bad when they were winning. I know we may have our fair share of obnoxious fans but it seemed like it was a dime a dozen with that crowd. Sheesh.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Welcome neighbor. Since you didn't complain about AU fans, I assume you live a little more north up the border from me.

Oddly, I kind of had the reverse thing happen to me when I was in school.

I started out at Georgia Southern in the 90s. They won a couple of national titles under Paul Johnson. The had a squirrely duel threat QB named... Gregg Hill (i think). He played in the Canadian league a little bit as a pro. RB Adrian Peterson (the other one) ran roughshod all over everyone. Who was an absolute gem to watch by the way. Granted it was Div1 AA. But as a 20yo student you don't care, you think your team would blow away the 85 bears.

Then I went to UGA for pharmacy school in the 2000s. It was during Richt's first 4 years. While we didn't win a natty, it sure was a good time for Dawg fans. To many names to list, but the two David's and Thomas Davis stick out to me. Some of the best Dawg teams I've seen play.

My friends that were fans of other schools used to joke "hey can you go to school X next please?"

• dirtypantsdirtypants Posts: 259 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Living in Indianapolis is nice. Town is nice, people are nice, weather is ok. I am not necessarily over the moon about it but it doesn't snow too much and my neighborhood has a pond for fishing, creek for catching bait, and a pool with a swim team my daughter participates in. Everyone here has their allegiances, and they all throw them away when NOtre dame does anything relevant in college football. THANK THE LORD brian kelly is terrible in big games. I could salt the White River with their smug sense of entitlement. I know a lot of people here enjoyed their time in SB when we travelled there, but ND fans are wealthy, entitled, DBags. They treat people like they are owed something, and for some reason the whole state adopts that attitude when ND is in the playoff. I LOVE watching them lose.

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sorta, I lived in Jax fl from 2006-2014. So I was down there for their last couple of nattys, fortunately, there's just a many Dawg fans that live there as **** fans. At least, it seemed that way for me.

• SAVDGDSAVDGD Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'll let you know, I'm about to move from Savannah to Tampa/St. Pete. I've got 6 friends down there already (all UGA fans) so my mileage may vary. The area seems pretty transient though, wouldn't exactly call it Gator country, but either way, I love the area.

• VreaderVreader Posts: 17 ✭✭✭ Junior

SAVDGD Hopefully you will experience the opposite of what I did. In January we can be celebrating a UGA natty and you can bathe in gator tears

FWIW, I lived in Columbia, SC a few years ago for 2 years and we beat the snot out of the **** both times. Hoping to bring that same effect with me to FL.

beat the snot out of the C0cks*

• ChopperChopper Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Moved from Suwanee to Birmingham in 2015. It’s been rough.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2021

Biggest college football desert was Sacramento mid 80s. First assignment after UGA. No internet. Ordered Sunday AJC To get college football news. AJC even covered PAC 10 better than west coast papers.

Great sports town for individual participation and Pros. College, no.

AU guy at work always visited my area for SEC convo. When he washed his van he would find a thumb sized UGA sticker. Wonder how that got there?

Best upside surprise was Portland Oregon, 2000s.

Wake up and it’s almost football time as noon games EST means 9:00 am there. Gather at neighbor’s and pop the beers. They road tripped when Oregon played Big 10 OSU. etc

Beavers have some real hate for Ducks. Ducks have Nike money and all who jump on the Bandwagon Without the stars, Beavers can win including 2020.

Some hate for them Dawgs from multiple NW teams means hating Huskies.

Local talent yes. Could stop by local HS while running home from work. No stadium. Just some stands and elevation around field. But you could watch the likes of Ndamukong Suh.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Saturdays in an Diego were pretty cool. I loved eating breakfast at 9 am watching college football.

edited June 2021

Two very different Californias. Only made it down to San Diego way a couple of times. Very impressed. Advantage you.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nashville in 1998. They have complained about Peyton and the heisman to this day. Sports radio is unlistenable.