Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH: ‘Talk show Bubbas’ bashing Kirby Smart a lazy narrative, per Paul Finebaum

2»

Comments

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Kasey the original question was who had done as well as Kirby. Based on results it would be Riley and Day. It appears you do not give a lot of credit for winning your conference. It would also seem you don’t give a lot of credit for making it to the CFP.

As to changing conferences, Kirby would have some success in the big10. Because of his offensive philosophy he would not fair as well in the Big12.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Well I would say Kirby has accomplished more. Kirby had to build a program. Ryan Day was given one. So was Lincoln Riley. Both are following championship, hall of fame type coaches. Kirby is not.

• Options

@Kasey we will have to agree to disagree it would appear. UGA was a very good program under Ritch. The problem for fans was it did not meet their expectations. This was mainly due to Myers and UF and Saban and UA. Ritch recruited well and Kirby inherited talent. In fact the core of his CFP team were players Ritch brought to Athens. Kirby has been given almost unlimited resources. He has the biggest recruiting budget in college football. I am unaware that salary has been an issue when it came hiring the coaching staff he wanted. He has a new indoor practice facility as well as a new football facility. Yet with all of these investments, he is more comparable to his predecessor than he is to Riley and Day. Then again you very well could be correct, he has recruited well and has managed to be ranked in the season ending top 10 on a yearly basis.

• Options

Top 5. More often than not top 3. Kirby has recruited much better than Richt. Our depth is better than it’s ever been. Yes he used Richt players, but it was a Smart QB that helped get them to thr NCG. Eason couldn’t have done that.

Riley and Day had just as many good players given to them. I don’t understand your insistence on giving them credit while discrediting what Kirby has done in a tougher conference.

• Options

@Kasey I hope you are not saying Kirby is doing less with more because it sure sounds like it.

• Options

I'm not satisfied with entitled members of the fanbase thinking the grass is greener when our grass is plenty green. it's all about perspective bud and you seemingly lack it.

• Options

@Kasey seems there might be a difference in understanding the question that was originally asked. My answer was based on what has been accomplished - conference championships and appearances in the CFP. Now if you want to address this from obstacles and potential, then our positions are probably not too far different. Neither OU nor OSU have to contend with a LSU or a Alabama to either win their championship or get to the CFP. The SEC is fortunate to have as many really good teams as it does. Potentially Kirby can be as good or even better than Riley and Day, he just has to strengthen his weaknesses which I think he can. What has muddled the future more than people currently realize is NIL. This going to be a huge challenge not only for the coaching staffs and conferences but all of college football.

• Options

I understood your question perfectly. but it's not a fair comparison because Kirby doesn't coach a team in the B12 or the B10. Those conferences are inherently weaker and much easier to win in. You seem to penalize Kirby for not winning his while discounting the degree of difficulty or playing in the SEC.

• Options

@Kasey it was not my question. The question was name a first time HC who has accomplished more over the last five years. I named two. Those two coaches have won their conferences and been selected to the CFP. They really cannot impact how weak their conferences are compared to the SEC anymore than Kirby can impact how weak the SEC East has been and is. Now we can take the position that both OSU and OU have a cakewalk to winning their respective conference championships. I would present to you the same is true for UGA getting to the SECCG. The big difference is in that championship game the opponent is just as good or maybe slightly better, so far from being a cakewalk it is a real challenge. It makes for competitive and entertaining college football and sets the winner up for a real opportunity to win it all. To me this game gives the SEC a huge advantage in the CFP.

So if it not fair to compare Kirby to Riley and Day because he does not coach in the Big12 or the Big10, then what is a fair way to compare him to other coaches?