Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Please consider this the next time the urge strikes to post something snarky about CMR..

Comments

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"west end Zone"

• Options
    UGADawg44UGADawg44 Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

Erik knew he was close to retiring himself and didn’t want to leave GSU that late in his career. He was asked and declined because of what I said previously.

• Options
    UGADawg44UGADawg44 Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

Erk didn’t want the job that late in his career.

Goff inherited some talent and a team not far removed from national prominence. But he also got the Jan Kemp fallout and was doing the job with one hand behind his back so to speak. That is often overlooked and the true impact it had on the program was huge. But Goff, great player and DGD and great guy, was not a great coach. At least for UGA/SEC championship level standards. The overall attitude of the program changed and continued under Donnan. Richt immediately changed the programs culture and built on a lot of talent left behind by Donnan. In the end, each coach influenced where UGA is today.

Can’t control what people say. Personally, I’ve always thought the world of CMR. I hold Goff and Dooley in extremely high regard. I believe Donnan’s level of morality and charisma fall short of all the aforementioned coaches. But, none of them have embarrassed the University. Pruitt, Grantham and Shottenheimer hold that front down.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2021

“How would CMR have done with college football’s largest recruiting budget, one of the largest support staffs and world class facilities?”

We will never know, and the reason is that CMR didn’t know how to ask. Kirby drew out the structure of the support staff he needed and presented it to the AD. Richt only pleaded for an indoor facility. The biggest difference between CMR and Kirby might be that Kirby has focused on building an entire organization versus Coach Richt only built a team.

• Options
    emanresuemanresu Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love Coach Richt for everything he did FOR THE STATE OF GEORGIA and for setting things up on a Tee for Kirby to EVENTUALLY knock it out of the park, and for just being a great DUDE OVERALL and may the Good Lord bless he and his family for evermore. Just can't say enough good things about the guy. Sincerely yours.

• Options

Yeah from Vince Dooley, Ray Goff, Donnan to Richt to our current HC Kirby Smart, I'm very fund of ALL of our HCs and its an absolute blast being a Georgia Bulldog fan and largely because of men like that DGDs all of them, I'll always be a Georgia Bulldog fan and admittedly as a born and bred Georgian, I am more than a bit biased. @thetruth.

• Options
    ChopperChopper Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am not a big booster myself, but I did meet Donnan at a wedding (for a big booster's son) in 1999. He and Vince were both there. Dooley was gracious and grinning; Donnan was like talking to a brick wall. I can very much see that his lack of bedside manner was not helping him build relationships regardless of his prowess in X's and O's.

• Options

I thing about Jim Donnan though is he was a great recruiter. I think Tech kind of owned him there at the end and if I'm not mistaken, he loss to Tech 3 years in a row and Ta'da enter Mark Richt.

• Options
    YellerDawgYellerDawg Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you wanted to be running the flex bone in the SEC, sure. Personally, I'm not sure Erk and Paul Johnson could have made that work here.

• Options
    ugafan396ugafan396 Posts: 49 ✭✭✭ Junior

I had posted about attending CMR's eulogy of Paul Oliver on this thread. This is a much more joyfuly version of that in his eulogy of Bobby Bowden. Heard the same story of Pablo Lopez at Paul's funeral too.

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2021

Donnan had a great eye for talent, especially defensive talent. Not all of those great players came in as blue chippers, I wouldn't mind him being on payroll now as an evaluator of recruits.