Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Please consider this the next time the urge strikes to post something snarky about CMR..

Comments

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2021

Ehh. An argument can be made in the other direction. Dooley did win 9 games in 1988, but the record does not reflect the strength of the program. The roster was in shambles. In 1989, Goff had a future World Wrestling Champion, Ben Smith, Mo Lewis, and Rodney Hampton. It was even worse in 1990, when both Vanderbilt and Kentucky had more All-SEC selections than Georgia, which only had Mo Lewis. Goff really only inherited Georgia’s reputation.

• allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Did I read somewhere that CMR lives in Athens now? I met him once at the gas station across from Butts-Mehre when I was a student. He was super nice, of course. I’ve always been and will always be a big fan.

• RSDawgRSDawg Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I saw them both close up as well. You are right that Goff was much worse than Donnan. I don't hate Donnan. Richt was a clear upgrade though. Donnan could never have done with his players what Richt did with them. Someone like Donnan is kind of like what UTjr. needs right now. Just someone who can come in and beat the Kentucky, Vandy, South Carolina and Ole Miss's of the world fairly regularly. You've got to learn to crawl before you can walk.

• dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

An insider told me that although Donnan was a good coach, he wasn't popular with the big boosters. Second, maybe third, hand information, so take it with a grain of salt.

• RSDawgRSDawg Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Losing to GT three times in a row is what finished him off. That and hitching his wagon to Quincy Carter, which blew up in his face. I also don't think he kept the best team discipline.

• BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Goff was unpopular with boosters from day one. He was hired by Coach Dooley, he wasn't on anybody else's list of candidates. Ray was dismissive of pretty much anybody's input outside of his staff.

CMR is among the greatest coaches we've had and the best person we could have possibly hired to represent the school and program. I'm all for putting the yeah buts behind us.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I think I’m saying the same type of thing you are in a different way.

Schotty was a mistake, Kirby hired the wrong OC, I'd rather we stop going down that road where Richt is concerned, he's earned our unqualified respect.

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@texdawg my brother was a HS coach here in the metro area for 35 years . He met nearly every SEC HC during that time frame and always stated if he had sons good enough to play in the SEC he would urge them to play for CMR. In his opinion the best coach and person to entrust a young man's well being and growth to . I wish him all the best and thank him for his tenure at UGA..DGD!