Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers as Bulldogs enter College Football Playoff mode

Comments

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

I saw it differently. Bennett was running for his life most of the game, particularly as compared to Young. Many, many missed assignments on the O-line from what I saw. But hey, we can agree to disagree. 🙂

Edit: I also think our receivers failed to gain separation…

Second edit: No doubt that Stetson made some poor decisions (though he also made some truly great throws). Forcing the ball when under pressure to make a play has always been his achilles heel. 😑

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

I agree that 3 for 12 on 3rd down conversions is horrible, but our only option (JT) was 1 for 11 against a far weaker defense when he played Cincinnati. It took a Peach Bowl record field goal to save UGA in that game. JT was elite in HS, but only mediocre now.

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

When I hear Smart or Bennett say that a change at QB is warranted, they just might get my respect.

Saban made the Tua adjustment in the middle of the game and went on to clock us and win the respect of a nation. Right now, Smart has the respect of Blackshear and some Bennett family and friends.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Comparing stats from a meaningless bowl game to how a QB will perform over the long run is not really accurate. That said, we already know how SB performs against Alabama. In fact the score was the same both times.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

JT not elite now? How would you know? How many games has he started pain free? Against Cincy he thew for 400 yards and 68% completion rate, while our run game amassed a whopping 32 yards I believe it was. As a matter of fact he's had two games with UGA last year where the run game couldn't get 100 yards combined and in those 2 games he's thrown for roughly 800 yards, 5 TD's and 1 interception. Let that sink in. A 71% completion rate in those games where the run game gave us nothing. Yeh, he's been injured and SB has done what he needed to do, manage those games.

SB is 0-3 in big games. Alabama has gotten him twice, in the 2 games with BAMA and the Fla game last year when they were good- he's a 50% passer. As many INT's as TD passes, and you think he can beat BAMA? Seriously?

• Options
    chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭ Junior

How many people realize Stetson can come back next year? Does that make you happy?

• Options
    KeepChoppingKeepChopping Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

Can we stop pretending like Stet's counting stats were meaningful?

"His counting stats were the best any Georgia quarterback has had against Alabama in some time. He threw for 3 touchdowns and 340 yards passing. 

TD1 was the 5-yard jump ball to Washington, a giant among men, and was preceded by an underthrown ball that Pickens made an incredible play on.

TD2 had next to nothing to do with any skill or ability from Bennett, the screen to Ladd.

Similarly, TD3 was also a screen, wherein Bowers simply bulldozed his way into the endzone.

Stetson did nothing special on any of those plays. Nothing that any (ahem) walk-on could not do. He's not a special player. It's ridiculous to see him continue to be treated like one. His teammates, especially Bowers, consistently make him look better than he is. There was also the throw on the Bowers TD drive where Stet threw into triple coverage and Bowers somehow came down with the ball. To make no mention of just how badly his INTs and plethora of other poor throws and outright misses resulted in drives cut short, and more work for the defense. I'm sure Stetson's a great guy. But there's so much copium surrounding him as the starter amongst large segments of the fanbase and UGA-related media. It's exhausting.

• Options

So Spdawg, if the “meaningless bowl game” stats don’t count in your book, how do you categorize JT only accounting for 3 points and throwing 30 passes for 135 yards in a “meaningless” game against a mediocre Clemson team?

• Options

Last season Stetson was behind Fromm (but he went to the NFL), jaime Newman (but he bailed on us), JT Daniels (but he wasn’t cleared to play) and D’Wan Mathis who was Kirby’s pick as the starter in the first game. Somehow our 5th string QB came in and saved the day and went 6-2 with 1 loss to the NC team in Tuscaloosa and was leading Florida by 14 points before being injured. So I’m certainly ECSTATIC he came back last season. This year he was our #3 QB at the beginning of the season and then had to assume the leadership for most of our games against ranked teams. He finished this year 8-0 in regular season starts. So to answer your question- HECK YEA I’M HAPPY HE CAME BACK….both years!!! Why don’t you doubters take a minute and think about what the past 2 seasons would have looked like with Mathis leading the team in 2020 and Beck this year.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Hemingwey....Yes, I guess we do see it differently. I thought the O-line gave pretty decent protection and opened up some running lanes. Even Mike Griffith graded them a "B". In my eyes, the play of the O-line was one of only a couple of things that was good on Saturday. The OL did have some costly penalties at inopportune times (like down at the goal line). But, a lot of people were worried about the O-line with the likes of Anderson on the Bama pass rush. They held up pretty well.

What worries me is that we couldn't keep up with Bama in scoring with Stet - even with an extra 10 minutes of offensive possession. That won't work for a Natty. Daniels has more upside than Stet, more passing skills (especially back shoulder throws), and yes, less mobility. So, maybe the best thing to do is play (2) QBs. It's been done effectively before.

• Options

CONGRATS TO NAKOBE DEAN!!!

• Options

Some think that to say that SB isn't a big time elite QB is a slap in the face to him as a person- it isn't. He's a very capable QB against most foes and with the aid of a great defense. He's just light years away from Young. It's not completely out of the realm of possibilty he could game manage a win against BAMA if the defense plays lights out and we hold them under 25 points.

But we've all seen when the pressure gets tight, he goes backwards, not forwards. He is fine if we have the lead as in the last 2 BAMA games. But when we lose the lead, he can't seem to make any magic happen. He gets flustered and you see it on his face. You watch Young or JT when they are in the game you don't see jack squat on their face, you can't tell if they are winning or losing.

I've said all along SB can shoot you in and he can just as easily shoot you out. 6 TD's against our biggest competitors in the last 2 years and 6 interceptions. Is that good enough? WIth a UGA team? This isn't GT.

• Options

As good as JF was at UGA I see him as the same as SB in terms of ability. Once Jake lost leads to BAMA he couldn't do anything to get the mojo back.

• Options

@reddawg1...Agree. I love Stet, but he has a limited ceiling on his abilities and even Monken can't dial up everything he wants to with Stet at the helm. And if you look at all the playoff National Champions, every single one of the teams that won it had an elite QB. I honestly don't know how good JT Daniels is now with so much time off, but I think Kirby is foolish to not go all in with JT. If nothing else then you've got over 3 weeks to work out an effective and realistic (2) QB system. It's been done before. If he sticks solely with Stet then we will just not win a Championship. I guess that I could be wrong, but I don't think so. Stet threw 2 interceptions that could have easily been 4.

We had an extra 10 minutes of possession time against Bama and still couldn't score enough points - even after we finally were able to slow down Young.

• Options

It's not either or. It's not either you take SB as the QB moving forward out of some kind of loyalty for the past and just accept not winning the NAtty or you're some kind of ungreatful mongrel. Unless you are a relative of SB(you may be) or a close friend? You can still appreciate what SB has done for the program and still want to make achange at QB. When you have to resort to that type of argument , you've lost your case.

• Options
    jackbmattjackbmatt Posts: 122 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think the issue that isn't really being talked about enough is Kirby Smart. Smart is undeniably an exceptional recruiter and having the best players on the field will win most games - he even explicitly acknowledged that after the Florida game when he said success is 50% recruiting. Unfortunately, to win it all you will have to beat teams as talented as you are, and from what I've seem (LSU, Bama), Smart isn't there yet. Maybe he'll get there. I certainly hope he does, but the JT situation (unless there's more to the story) doesn't bode well.

• Options
    BuckdawgBuckdawg Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman

JT Daniels has to start now & the Ga pass rush needs more speed.

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Anyone think Kirby is worth $100 million, now?

• Options

Folks over at 92.9 the Game raking Kirby over the coals for the simple fact he wouldn't even try JT to change the momentum. "Why not?" THey're screaming!