Home The G.O.A.T.s: Forum Thread Hall of Fame
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Next to Commit to the G

Comments

• Options
    tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The state of Georgia has been on an impressive roll when it comes to producing quarterbacks who have moved on to star on the collegiate level.

Georgia’s Jake Fromm and Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence are two recent young stars who jump immediately to mind, with other even younger standouts you’ll be reading about in the not too distant future.

Like Rabun County’s Gunner Stockton. Check out these numbers.

As a freshman, the 15-year-old put together an incredible first year for the six-time region champs, completing 190 of 291 passes for 3,626 yards and 34 touchdowns with just six interceptions. That’s not all. Stockton rushed for an additional 709 yards and 17 touchdowns. Those statistics are starting to open the eyes of top college programs from around the country.

That includes the Georgia Bulldogs, who offered Stockton during his Saturday visit to Athens.

“The visit was fun and informative. I learned a lot about UGA. The entire staff is impressive,” Coach (Kirby) Smart and Coach (James) Coley put me on the board and asked me questions. Coach Smart gave me a scenario and asked me what play I would call and he had me draw it on the board.”

Stockton’s quiz wasn’t complete.

“Then, he asked me questions based on different coverages,” Stockton continued. “He liked my play call and my answers to my questions.”

Apparently so.

That's when Smart made it official – Stockton had his offer to play for the Bulldogs.

“He had me walk over to him and he told me that his offensive staff had been wanting to offer me for weeks, and that I had an offer to play for him at Georgia,” said Stockton, who measured in at 6-foot-1 and 201 pounds.

“It was great to be offered by Georgia,” Stockton continued. “I’m very honored and humbled. I am thankful that the Lord blessed me and my family and Rabun County with this experience.”

The Georgia offer wasn’t the first offer for Stockton, and it won’t be the last.

The son of Rabun County defensive coordinator Rob Stockton – Gunner has verbal offers from Rutgers, Army, Colorado State, Arkansas State, Georgia Tech to go with the one he received Saturday from UGA.

This also wasn’t his first at Georgia or first time meeting Smart.

As a fifth-grader, fellow Rabun County native and current Bulldog tight end Charlie Woerner took him to a game at Sanford Stadium.

Last Thursday, Smart, along with tight ends coach Todd Hartley dropped by Rabun County High via helicopter where he met with Stockton and head coach Jaybo Shaw.

“It was exciting to have Coach Smart and Coach Hartley visit the school,” Stockton said. “Coach Hartley had already been to Rabun several times before. The helicopter landing was cool for our entire school, not just me. They let my classmate out of class to watch him land and that was exciting. Coach Smart is a superstar around here.”

With more offers certain to come his way, Stockton said Smart offered a piece of advice.

“Coach Smart gave me the same advice that my parents and my high school coach (Shaw) gave me,” Stockton said. “To stay humble and keep working. Coach Smart said this recruiting process is going to get crazy for me and that having humility is the only way to handle the attention.”

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:
    The state of Georgia has been on an impressive roll when it comes to producing quarterbacks who have moved on to star on the collegiate level.

Georgia’s Jake Fromm and Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence are two recent young stars who jump immediately to mind, with other even younger standouts you’ll be reading about in the not too distant future.

Like Rabun County’s Gunner Stockton. Check out these numbers.

As a freshman, the 15-year-old put together an incredible first year for the six-time region champs, completing 190 of 291 passes for 3,626 yards and 34 touchdowns with just six interceptions. That’s not all. Stockton rushed for an additional 709 yards and 17 touchdowns. Those statistics are starting to open the eyes of top college programs from around the country.

That includes the Georgia Bulldogs, who offered Stockton during his Saturday visit to Athens.

“The visit was fun and informative. I learned a lot about UGA. The entire staff is impressive,” Coach (Kirby) Smart and Coach (James) Coley put me on the board and asked me questions. Coach Smart gave me a scenario and asked me what play I would call and he had me draw it on the board.”

Stockton’s quiz wasn’t complete.

“Then, he asked me questions based on different coverages,” Stockton continued. “He liked my play call and my answers to my questions.”

Apparently so.

That's when Smart made it official – Stockton had his offer to play for the Bulldogs.

“He had me walk over to him and he told me that his offensive staff had been wanting to offer me for weeks, and that I had an offer to play for him at Georgia,” said Stockton, who measured in at 6-foot-1 and 201 pounds.

“It was great to be offered by Georgia,” Stockton continued. “I’m very honored and humbled. I am thankful that the Lord blessed me and my family and Rabun County with this experience.”

The Georgia offer wasn’t the first offer for Stockton, and it won’t be the last.

The son of Rabun County defensive coordinator Rob Stockton – Gunner has verbal offers from Rutgers, Army, Colorado State, Arkansas State, Georgia Tech to go with the one he received Saturday from UGA.

This also wasn’t his first at Georgia or first time meeting Smart.

As a fifth-grader, fellow Rabun County native and current Bulldog tight end Charlie Woerner took him to a game at Sanford Stadium.

Last Thursday, Smart, along with tight ends coach Todd Hartley dropped by Rabun County High via helicopter where he met with Stockton and head coach Jaybo Shaw.

“It was exciting to have Coach Smart and Coach Hartley visit the school,” Stockton said. “Coach Hartley had already been to Rabun several times before. The helicopter landing was cool for our entire school, not just me. They let my classmate out of class to watch him land and that was exciting. Coach Smart is a superstar around here.”

With more offers certain to come his way, Stockton said Smart offered a piece of advice.

“Coach Smart gave me the same advice that my parents and my high school coach (Shaw) gave me,” Stockton said. “To stay humble and keep working. Coach Smart said this recruiting process is going to get crazy for me and that having humility is the only way to handle the attention.”

So we land DJ Yougahlaylee this year and have this Stockton guy enroll a year early and we will be set at QB until 2025. Make it happen Kirby

• Options
    IwantNakobeIwantNakobe Posts: 286 ✭✭✭ Junior

Who are gonna finish with on NSD. Ima say Elam and mingo. Then wolf comes on board in mid feburary

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@IwantNakobe said:
    Who are gonna finish with on NSD. Ima say Elam and mingo. Then wolf comes on board in mid feburary

Wolf can commit anytime but I think he will have to finish the semester at UT so comes on board late May

• Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    As this thread is set to retire in a couple of days, I just want to put it out there that I’ve never seen a more confusing cycle with the amount of twist and turns that 19 has shown. Legitimately, every target has some sort of twist/uncertainty on where they’re going.

I spent yesterday morning trying to read as much as I could on 4 sites to compare with what I’ve heard. Seems to be that there’s very little alignment/consistency between each sites most trusted posters, lots of spin and hedging too. Usually indicates little to no confidence on the picks. This could be what NSD looks like going forward with the majority of ESD doing the heavy lifting.

It’s been a fun ride, but I’m looking forward to this one being over. 48 hours away then bring on 20!

Go Dawgs!

Hit the nail on the head here - “This could be what NSD looks like going forward with the majority of ESD doing the heavy lifting.”

Probably going to be the new norm.

Hope we finish out strong and onto 2020 , go dawgs

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who is #99? I checked the HS roster. Did not see a 99. There were a few big guys but the closest match is a SR who has a scholly to Elon Col.

• Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

Who is #99? I checked the HS roster. Did not see a 99. There were a few big guys but the closest match is a SR who has a scholly to Elon Col.

• Options
    Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

I think 99 is Travis Shaw and 55 is Payton Page?

• Options
    LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The more I see Kirby with these kids, the more I wonder just how the heck he managed to start at Georgia. I know it’s nearly 25 years ago and it’s a different time, but still...

• Options
    Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@LowcountryDawg21 said:
    The more I see Kirby with these kids, the more I wonder just how the heck he managed to start at Georgia. I know it’s nearly 25 years ago and it’s a different time, but still...

I know, right? He's a little guy compared to these kids. Kirby was pretty decent when he was playing too. I'll never forget him intercepting the ball from Payton Manning.

My guess is, his defensive brain won him the starting position.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

https://247sports.com/Player/Travis-Shaw-46057330/

Note Since the "outage" this morning, I cannot use the link button to post the above link.
    EDIT: The above issue surfaced when I used Firefox. I can use the link in Google Chrome, my usual browser. Sorry.

• Options
    deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

@LowcountryDawg21 said:

Work Ethic, its the one consistent attribute that describes Kirby in every article i've read. He just outworked everyone else

This discussion has been closed.