Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Top running back target Justice Haynes spurns Georgia football for Alabama

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited July 2022 in Article commenting
imageTop running back target Justice Haynes spurns Georgia football for Alabama

Justice Haynes stunned the college football world on Sunday when he announced his commitment. The son of former Bulldogs Verron Haynes announced that he would be playing for Alabama, announcing his commitment on social media.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wow, that's too bad, and deep down has to hurt his father some. Good luck and Go Dawgs !!!

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just why, Justin?

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why? Saban wasn’t gonna let Jimbo beat him again. Bama has their NIL ATM re-opened for business.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Branson Robinson is probably the reason. Haynes would have been a nice pick up but UGA is more than fine without him. 2023 is actually going to be the year to come to Georgia as an elite RB.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best of luck in Tuscaloosa young man.. Even if the best thing to ever come out of alabama is I-20..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2022

This recruiting season not shaping up as expected. UGA championship boost being trumped by NIL. AL apparently still viewed as the superior destination to UGA even with Saban's career winding down. 1st the #1 JUCO player (WR) then this. This one hurts.

If AL gets Downs it will be tough for UGA to be a Top 5 class this year.

The problem appears to be recruiting offensive players. The scaled back O last year to limit mistakes resulted in a championship. Well worth the trade off. But it has hurt offensive recruiting this year. A lot of pressure on CKS to open up the offense this year (and possibly change QB's).

• Options
    edited July 2022

And UGA is still in the mix for the #1RB last I read.. 5* Richard Young. With Haynes committing to Bama, may see UGA get a better RB in Young..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    Alexander_the_LateAlexander_the_Late Posts: 42 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is supposed to be the year for a stronger offensive class, but it's becoming clear that the back and forth between offensive and defensive recruiting classes has gone the way of the dodo, for UGA. Coach Smart, a man known for mishandling his QBs, decided to gamble the '23 offensive recruiting class on an ALL IN on Arch Manning, and lost. And, I doubt he cares much, figuring he proved defense can still win championships. It did. It can. It's going to have to. Smart's defense chews up 5-star QBs and spits them out (unless Kirby gambles with a different defensive scheme like he did in the SECCG), so it makes sense that his program does the same with it's own 5-star QBs. Makes you wonder why he took such a big gamble with Arch, but then you recall how confident Kirby is in his defense, and how much more value he puts on defense, and you factor in Ego, and the fog begins to lift. Smart gambled because he was certain he could afford to lose. So what if it costs us in the '23 class. So what if it cost us our '24 QB target, too. Who cares. Defense is what really matters, and that is where Smart's pride lies.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Was really hoping he’d become a Dawg, but No matter what WE wanted him to do, it’s this young man’s decision to make. Not ours. I wish this young man nothing but the best, unless he’s playing our Dawgs, of course. 😛 Tide is getting a great one.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 130 ✭✭✭ Junior

Were I in charge of "offers", I would have offered this young man as a UGA legacy, even if he wasn't a very good player. I wish him the best in life because he is the son of a UGA legacy. RB is a position that "hard" on the body. UGA's RB by committee isn't conducive to wild statistics in terms of total yards, but look hard at the YPC numbers. Too many college RBs get "used up" during their college career, and thus shorten their NFL careers. I hope he gets through his college career in good shape. Anyway, these days, things can change, even after a player has officially signed the LOI. The best I can wish for him is that he never has any regrets about not choosing UGA.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thought the same thing! Branson is a beast and should be getting the reps as a top back next season.

• Options
    ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby and the Dawgs will be fine. If Kirby can win with a walk-on QB, then GA is fine with one 4-star & 2 5* QBs on their roster. GA has plenty of great RBs and tight ends. Their Receivers are no slouch either. Add a very, very good offensive coordinator in Todd Monken, and GA will be a championship caliber team for years to come....with the kids on their roster.

• Options

Exactly, DAWGS lose recruits to other schools every recruiting cycle. Yet they still pull in a top 5 class under Kirby every year. Defensive player commits and it's an NFL sized endorsement for UGA football. Lose 1 RB recruit and suddenly the sky is falling 🤣 UGA isn't the only school to miss out on recruits, all schools do at some point.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Georgia might have to soon win another natty in order to Completely turn the tide (no pun intended) on those head-to-heads. And the current roster, program, and coaching staff absolutely have what it takes to do just that. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All true. Like I said before, UGA can't sign em all. There's only so-many roster spots and Smart has probably got his sights set on a better RB or 2. While Haynes might be a Fan choice, he probably wasn't a Dawg priority for the '23 Class.

Not exactly another Herschel Walker or Bo Jackson. Haynes, probably saw a lot of bench-time in his future at UGA, while BAMA had to raid the transfer wire, to find one. Just sayin'...not that big of a loss for UGA and not that big of a win for BAMA.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not "just one RB". There have been a string of misses on O so far this year. But it is early and CKS has shown to be successful before. Still there seems to be something going on w/O recruits.

OG Monken is a football guy with a professional history. He doesn't seem to be as involved in recruiting as much as the other coaches. Probably a perk to stick around at this level another year. Add in the losses of Luke and Hankton and we have an offensive staff in a recruiting transition.

I am not the only one who sees it. 10 mins after I commented below CR posted another article about offensive recruiting difficulties.

This 1 stings for a few reasons. 1) legacy 2) in state 3) AL. Most fans would prefer UGA get the top players from GA. Not getting Derek Brown probably cost UGA a championship in '17. This year is actually a down year in numbers of GA recruits in Rivals 250. So losing the #2 player in the state (and a legacy to boot) just puts out a bad vibe.

Still early but the trend is concerning.

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 322 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not even going to read through all responses, though I’ve read enough…but I see we’re right in the middle of Overreaction Central. I’m close to someone at BT and Haynes is no doubt a good player and good kid…but the only reason this really “stings” is bc of the legacy aspect. There are plenty of players every bit as good as JH. And for the guy who referenced Coach Smart’s “historically mishandling QBs” or something silly like that, give it a rest. I’m about over the glut of armchair coordinators who are never happy.

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There are setbacks even for the greatest of teams, the victory comes with a successful response to the setback. As Mike Tyson once said "Everyone has a plan until they are punched in the mouth." In the past, Georgia under Kirby Smart has exceled in coming off the matt when losing a prized recruit and finding one as good or better. It will all work out! GO DAWGS!

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 183 ✭✭✭ Junior

I wouldn’t worry about this too much folks. I just wish we’d start recruiting hotter cheerleaders.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'M not so sure I would call Haynes a prized recruit. He was probably the 3rd or 4th RB on Smart's recruiting board...if that. UGA might not have even offered him, if he wasn't a legacy.

Like Manning, he gets a little extra juice from the Fans & Media because of his name and Father. Looks like a good solid RB, but, nothing better than the RB's they've stocked the RB room with, every year.

Don't know how his hands are, out of the Backfield, but, that's where Monkin has placed his enthusiasm for RB's. Can they catch the ball out of the backfield and can they block?

UGA turned their back on Zack Evans, the #1 recruit, a couple of years ago, because of attitude. Smart is very selective, when it comes to the character of players, he introduces into the locker room. Seems to work, so, more power to him.

Smart's negotiating from a position of strength...not weakness, unlike an Alabama team that had to go to the portal to find a WR, OT, DB and RB, capable of starting for them next year. And, the DB was recently arrested in Mississippi for a driving & possession charge...or something along those lines. So, there's that.

Character and discipline have as much value as talent, on the Kirby Smart recruiting board, so get used to it. He's not collecting recruiting stars, he's collecting "Winners" and could care less where he winds up on the the ESPN Recruiting rankings at the end of the year, as long as he gets the players he wants. That doesn't seem to be a problem....except in the minds of the "armchair coordinators". LOL