Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Quarterback guru David Cutcliffe theorizes why Arch Manning didn’t choose Georgia

2»

Comments

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

To keep from competing against family. The reason and only one stated. I don’t buy it for a second. Crowded QB room at UGA Vs Texas. Iom

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LOL....You must be joking. You don't consider Ewers better competition than Beck or Vandergriff? You might want to scan the news on Ewers before you make statements like that. Just sayin'. He might be better than anybody in UGA's QB room, LAST year...forget about next year. Manning has his work cut out for him at Texas.

• Options

You can only have 1 QB at a time. Once a kid wins the job and has success, he remains the QB throughout his eligibility or until drafted...whichever comes first.

David Greene was UGA's QB while DJ Shockley sat on the bench. Jake Fromm ran the offense, while Fields sat on the bench. Jalen Hurts was BAMA's QB, while Tua sat on the bench. Then Tua ran their offense while Hurts sat on the bench...and Hurts transferred the next year. Bennett was QB while Daniels sat on the bench. Then Daniels transferred.

Ewers could be the Texas QB through 2025. Where would that leave Manning.

That's life in the SEC, now. There are only so-many QB jobs to be had at Elite programs and the jobs don't open up every year. I don't care what a Coach says about "open competition". It is...but, it isn't, really.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Yes but Arch can sit one year behind Quinn and get the job. Here he would have to compete with a guy only one year ahead of him.

• Options

If, by "here", you mean at UGA....He would be competing against Beck, Vandergriff and Stockton. 3, 2 and 1 year ahead of Manning, respectively.

But, that really doesn't matter, if he's as good as they say. He's gonna have to "compete" for the job, if he goes to one of the premier Schools. I can't say what he "would" or "wouldn't" be willing to do, with regard to sitting out. My guess is, if he doesn't beat out Ewer, he'll transfer, cause Ewer's not gonna be willing to step aside and he'll be there for a minute. LOL

• Options

Ewers is gone after next year. He reclassified and was at Ohio last year. That’s one. This year is two. Next year will be year three. Arch only has to sit one year because if Ewers is as good as advertised he’s gone in three years. Then it’s Arch’s gig.

Not too hard to understand.

• Options

LOL...There's no guarantee Ewer is going to leave after only 3 yrs. You are making a "reach assumption" to make your point.

I say he stays all 4 yrs, cause that's how long it will take Sarkisian to get the Long Horn offense on track. Plus, Texas will probably join the SEC by 2024 and Ewers will want to be part of that. SEC exposure will enhance his Draft status.

QB's today, typically stay all 4 years...or more, if they can. Competition at the next level is ruthless and there's only so-many open jobs every year. Unless Ewer and Sarkisian really take an offensive leap this year and next, Ewer will stay all 4 yrs, to improve his chances in the NFL.

That means, Manning may not see significant playing time, till 2025. It's not that hard to see the forest if you get out of the trees. LOL

• Options
    1. offense was going pretty well last year. Imagine more of the same.
    2. just two years ago we saw a plethora of QBs jump to the draft after three years. If Quinn Ewers is as good as advertised he’s going number one after his third year.
    3. Manning will be the QB of that team in 2024. If he’s not he will transfer.
    4. LOL
  • Options

That's what I said. Exactly...if he doesn't win the job in 2023, he transfers. Way to come around, even though, you went the long way. LOL

After the transfer rule changes of 2021 and NIL....the only thing we know, is we don't "know" anything. Just speculation. BTW, how many QB's were taken in the draft last year and what round were they taken? Tell's you everything you need to know about the NFL's confidence in drafting QB's...or RB's for that matter. You better be a pretty darned good QB, if you expect to be taken in the 1st or 2nd round. If not, you might as well just try out for the team of your choice. That includes Ridder with ATL...wasted Falcon pick.

Yeah, yeah, I know...Tom Brady was taken in the late rounds...blah, blah, blah. Ryan Leaf was taken in the 1st...blah, blah, blah. I Don't need a history lesson. There are outliers and exceptions, obviously.

And, for the record, from the Texas games I saw last year (2) ...and according to the commentary from media members and Fans alike, on The Paul Finebaum Show...Texas' offense was anything, but, "going pretty well", last year. So, I don't know where you are getting your information. In fact, there was talk about Sarkisian being on the hot-seat this year, if the offense didn't show serious improvement over last year.

• Options

They averaged 35 ppg which is two less than we did.

You’re more dense than a rock. Congrats.

• Options

LOL...What you say...Soup Sandwich.

Season starts in 3 weeks. We'll see.

• Options

Anybody can look up STATS and cherry pick em to support whatever absurd argument they're trying to make.

For instance, Texas did avg 35 ppg...BUT, that was only good for 5th best in a weak Conference of 10 teams, known for their high scoring offenses and anemic defenses. There were only 2 teams with fewer passing yds, in that same Conference. On the plus side, they were #1 or #2 in the Conference in total rushing yds. That does not sound like a Sarkisian offense to me. That's why I say, it is not going that well in Austin or wherever U. Texas is located.

LOL...the only thing they've got, to hang their hat on, is that somebody tossed em a bone and gave em 1 first place vote in the Coaches Poll. Wonder who could've done that??? (Sark)

Moreover...it's gonna take more than a QB to turn the Horns passing attack around. A QB is the ball distributor. He's useless without talent to distribute it too. They've got a long row to hoe, if they're looking to be in league with just half of the teams in the SEC.

And, here endeth the lesson.