Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football-Kent State instant observations as Bulldogs play with their food in sloppy effort

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football-Kent State instant observations as Bulldogs play with their food in sloppy effort

ATHENS — For the first time all season, quarterback Stetson Bennett had to take a snap in the fourth quarter. The defense needed to make a stop. The offense had to convert on a fourth down in the red zone.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

Georgia will be ranked number 3

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, sloppy play off and on in every aspect the game...including special teams...again. Holes in the defense and a less than dominant O line. Hopefully this is the 'Wake Up' game the Dawgs needed...it's been way too easy thus far.

Crossing my fingers for McIntosh's injury severity.

Toughest week of practice yet coming up...

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Great article on a disappointing game. Since UGA clearly played down to the opponent (although, all Georgia's miscues aside, KS was far better than I had expected... good coach who I'm betting we'll see at a more prominent program in the future), I'm hoping they play UP when they hit the back half of the regular season 😁

Go (better) Dawgs! 🤙

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby tried to warn us and no one was buying it. Biggest disappointment for me was their little RB breaking tackles on our much bigger guys.

• Options
    DSOGDSOG Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Honestly, a drop in the rankings is probably what they need. Ideally they don't pay attention to that rat poison anyway, and I'm sure they would say they don't. But against two outmatched opponents at home, they've certainly played like they've been soaking up all the accolades. Agree with Connor that going on the road to play Missouri may be a good thing for the team. They were clearly focused at S. Carolina. They need to learn to play more focused at home though or it's gonna bite them.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They sure did pick a good time to have what we can only hope is their worst possible performance. I wasn't able to watch the game (still at a loss as to why it wouldn't be televised with all of the network and scheduling options, but I digress), but from what I read it seems like there were some growing pains with this team that we might have been fooled into thinking wouldn't apply. I think we can reasonably assume the deluge of hype seeped into the players' heads. After a performance like that, it'll more than likely be dialed down and the coaches can get to work without that added distraction.

As for the red zone issues, considering the teams against which it's been a problem, I wonder if they're just holding back on the play calling in games where there's no real threat of losing. Again, I didn't see this game so I'll ask those who did - does that seem like a likely explanation?

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeah. Not sure I'd go with that headline.

• Options

Before the season.... Kirby said that they would not be hunted. That they will do the hunting. I guess he was wrong today. Kent State did the hunting and Georgia was the hunted.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t believe they will fall in the rankings but the running game has to be a concern going forward. Just not much of a surge from the O line in all games so far. Really wish there was more of a test in the next few weeks but hopefully they regroup. Good to get a win but i believe we all wanted a bit more eye candy.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 486 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I read that McIntosh was seen walking without a limp after the game so good news. Sloppy game and what's the deal with our elite OL? Just as the game was threating to be a blowout 3 turn overs in the 1st half kept Kent St. in the game and gave them gumption. Brock Bowers elite. Edwards and Milton looked good, Nolan and Dumas-Johnson also. Stick to the fundamentals.😎

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Again, my emotions got the better of me....although I had a terrible gut feel KS would hang in there. Had the game gone on in the fourth...UGA would have piled on the score. Hopefully, AP and College coaches see it that way. Definitely need AD Mitchell back and K-Mac. I do believe if OSU stomps their opponent...UGA will drop in the polls....just a hunch.

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tough game to watch no doubt, but this is the adversity that Kirby was mentioning. Glad it happened in a game where the win was not in question. This is obviously a team that plays up or down depending on the quality of the opponent. Yes, KS is a good team but they have been blown out in the other games they have lost this season and the dawgs just got sloppy. Hopefully no major injuries and the dawgs will be chopping more wood this week at practice. I think we will see a different team play Missouri and Auburn coming up. These guys will hunker down and play tighter and smarter ball going forward. Kirby will nake sure of that. I feel sorry (not really) for Missouri, they will get crushed by the dawgs next week as the bulldogs act out on their frustrations. It will be a beautiful thing to see. GO DAWGS!

• Options
    brucelhunterbrucelhunter Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

Every team has one of those days when they're not at full speed. Hopefully this will turn out to be that day for the Dawgs. It was a lot of fun to see Brock Bowers make it clear again that he's the real Dawg who should be in the Heisman race. Stetson is good on short passes only (Eric Zeier calls them long hanoffs), but can't throw deep and thus can't stretach out a defense. Beck definitely can do both.

• Options
    brucelhunterbrucelhunter Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore
  • Options

Adversity? This game should not have been close to encounter adversity. I would expect next week game against Mizzo to be more of a challenge than this game against Kent State.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2022

@E_Roc to re-explain what I'm sure has been explained many times, the SEC's TV contract allows ESPN to stream one (1) non-conference game per year for each team in the conference. The network chose this game to meet that requirement for Georgia. Also, Georgia was not "holding back" anything in this game. The threat of losing was quite real.

My three observations:

1. I thought we could easily stop Kent State without Jalen Carter. I was wrong.
    2. We really need to sign some elite receivers, ones who will catch the ball when it hits their hands. Thank God for Brock Bowers.
    3. Kirby Smart, as always, was spot-on about the quality of the opponent, despite what everyone else said and thought.
  • Options

Good teams do not play down to a team they should beat. They suppose to make a statement. Letting teams they are inferior to know they don't belong on the field with them.