Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud praises Georgia football program: ‘Helluva team, great team’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,411 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageOhio State quarterback C.J. Stroud praises Georgia football program: ‘Helluva team, great team’

ATLANTA — Georgia has seen some pretty great quarterbacks in recent years, especially in Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Joe Burrow and Bryce Young are two recent Heisman winners who picked apart Georgia’s defense on their way to beating the Bulldogs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    NCMtnDawgNCMtnDawg Posts: 36 ✭✭✭ Junior

CJ certainly has my respect. He's all they said he is and more.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

And yet Stetson Bennett had better numbers, had a better final drive, had a better 4th quarter, won the game, and was able to perform well regardless of not having that all world Tosu receiver. For most of the game Stroud had the all world receiver. Once he was knocked out Stroud was dead in the water.

Yes, he's a good sport and yes he'll go to the NFL. Stroud is a great quarterback and a very good guy. Did he have an undefeated regular season? Did he win the Peach Bowl?

Gushing over Stroud when Stetson won the game and was MVP and is our quarterback and is undefeated is okay if you have to do it.

All that said, Kirby is right. Stetson has to improve. As good as he was he didn't meet the Georgia Standard.

I hate Tosu, but they are ancient history. TCU looms large.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

The thing I love about stroud the most, he's not overconfident. He knows what he can do and he did. OSU came out with a purpose, to beat us, and they pretty much did in any way they wanted to. He did play with a lot of heart. Unlike another big 10 qb who likes to run his mouth before getting embarrassed. Stroud backed himself up. Much respect to him. Unlike his predecessor at OSU, (which we'll most likely have another article written about soon). With all that being said, much respect to this OSU team. Like someone told me, Georgia didn't technically win the game, OSU lost.

And a side note, I feel terrible for that kicker. I know those fans are extremely bitter folks. So if what our "fans" did to Conley in 2012, I imagine it's 10 fold for him.

• Options
    USADawgUSADawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The thing I like most about Stroud is.... who? I don't care about the last game! I want to hear more about TCU, a school that most of us know absolutely nothing about.

Really proud of our Dawgs, but we'd better be looking forward.

Also, I agree with JimWallace below. Stroud played great, but OUR quarterback delivered! Praying he can deliver One. More. Time.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

@JimWallace

Did he have an undefeated regular season? Did he win the Peach Bowl?

Everyone knows that Stroud would have done those things if he played for UGA, and Bennett would have done none of those things if he played for Ohio State. Everyone also knows that where Stroud had to play against a loaded defense full of future NFL starters, Bennett went against a defense that wasn't as talented or well coached as several of the ones in a down SEC this year. (Did you see what Tennessee's defense did to Clemson?) That is why Stroud is going to be the 2nd or 3rd player drafted while Bennett will be fortunate to be taken in the 6th round.

Everyone also knows that Stroud played the entire season without his best WR - yes Jaxon Smith-Njiba is better than Marvin Harrison Jr - as well as most of the season without his best RB TreyVeon Henderson, who is the equal of Kenny McIntosh in talent. Because of this Ohio State wasn't even able to run their actual offense - which is 3 WRs plus an RB with breakaway speed - this season. They had to retool and run a more conservative offense with Cade Stover, who has played as much on defense for the Buckeyes as he has at TE, playing a much larger role than intended.

Bennett has a better team and coaching staff. But Stroud has no regrets on choosing Ohio State over UGA. You know why? Because even though Bennett will have the 2 rings that Stroud will never get, Stroud is going to sign a $35 million guaranteed contract in 5 months. Despite all the success that Smart has had at UGA, there is still no evidence that he is capable of developing a QB with the NFL future that SB IV isn't going to have, or moreover that Smart even wants to do so.

Sorry @JimWallace but while Stetson Bennett is a good player, Stroud is a better one.

And for the record, Dawgnation is acknowledging the contrast between Stroud and Ohio State - who have been classy and credited UGA for a great win - instead of being entitled like Alabama last year, who to this day is talking about not having Williams and Metchie. If this is how you are going to behave, I actually wish Stroud had gone to the podium and said "we lost by one point. I believe that Jaxon Smith-Njiba and TreyVeon Henderson, who are going to be first round draft picks and 10 year NFL players, would have gotten us at least 2."

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

@JimWallace

Also "Once he was knocked out Stroud was dead in the water" ... that also wasn't true. Remember that last drive that was 100% Stroud? Of course you do. With a better kicker - or truthfully with better playcalling as Ryan Day made 3 consecutive calls that everyone in the stadium knew were coming instead of making a gamble on something like a QB draw or a sweep - you would have remembered that last drive even longer. Like the rest of your life as a Bulldog fan. Except it wouldn't have been a happy memory.

Good grief, even the 2nd down pass on that last drive was perfect. A perfectly thrown ball that hit a 100% covered WR with a DB draped all over him in the hands. The WR just didn't make a play on the ball, and let Ringo knock it away. If the WR had enough talent to reel in the ball or at least draw a flag, then it would have been a chipshot field goal. Instead that was basically a backup WR on that play matched up against a first round pick NFL starter in Ringo. So the fact that you have to resort to saying things that factually isn't true shows that you have nothing here.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jim,

You are so correct. It seems like we have fans and sportswriters wearing blinders when it comes to Bennett. Both QBs were 23 for 34 passing, but Bennett had 50 more yards than Stroud. Bennett had 3 TD passes to Stroud’s 4, but Stetson also ran for a TD. Bennett threw an INT, but he also completed passes non-stop when the game was on the line……not so much for Stroud. Mike Griffith just wrote an article on Dawgnation implying Bennett was lazy. If that’s the case then could we say the same for our defense in the 2nd half against LSU and the first 3 quarters against Tosu? I believe the answer is a resounding “NO”. Ohio State is a very good team that all sportswriters and coaches had in the top 2 all season until Michigan slipped in and pulled-off an upset. Great teams can make really good teams look bad and that’s what happened to us Saturday night. Fortunately, the best team prevailed when the game was on the line. Go Dawgs and Happy New Year!!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If only Stroud had more talented WR's to work with! He could have won the Heisman and the Peach Bowl and been playing for a Natty! LOL!

Or you could just assume if he played for UGA that he would be better than SB. That he would have won more games than SB and led us to the NAtty last year jjust like SB did. THat he would have claimed that Heisman playing for the DAWGS! All certainly possible, but totally unknowable, considering the fact that UGA hasn't had the 1st round WR's that Ohio St has had the past two years.

Just too much "what ifs" to be taken seriously. Stroud has had everything he needed to make him a success. It can certainly be argued that SB hasn't, in terms of a 1st round receiving core. What if SB had Ohio St's receivers and Stroud at Ohio St had our WR's? Might want to ponder that one a minute or two.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JimWallace @thadec CJ Stroud is indeed a great QB. And to the best of my knowledge he’s a good young man. He played an Excellent game vs. our Dawgs. He has nothing, zero to be ashamed of. BUT someone as painful as it is has to lose the game. CJ and his team lost the game. That is the Most Important stat of all and That is what the Official records show. And Jim Wallace is Absolutely Spot On !! Give Stroud his due that he deserves, but DAWGS Fans should be Quick to give Our QB Stetson Bennett Much Credit To !! Stetson admitted that he had a “Bad 30 Minutes” BUT he had an Outstanding 4th Qtr. When it was Most Needed. So which is better performing brilliantly when everything is pretty much going your way ? Or having some bad plays and things Not going your way pretty much at all, but Then adapting and adjusting and over coming to go on to Win ? I say the Later of the two as it takes Even More mental fortitude to Come Back and win, than it does winning from the start and floating on to the win. The Dawgs Defense was being utterly gashed by Stroud, but to their credit they Rose Up and made enough stops at the Right Times to give Stetson and our O an opportunity to get back in the game. So @thadec How long is it gonna take you to realize this is a DAWGS web site ?? And how long before you realize that the Vast Majority of Dawgs fans here don’t see You as a teacher of football ?? And how long before You realize that Dawgs fans here Don’t appreciate Your subtitle but wholly snarky remarks ?? @JimWallace Did give CJ Stroud his due and credit. But Oh No that’s not good enough for the Great, All Knowing thadec !! Oh No you expect, No Demand, that @JimWallace take out full Front Page ads on every major newspaper proclaiming how great Stroud is, and bd sure not to mention Stetson, and ALL Dawgs fans chip in on the cost !! Well Please do us Here all a big favor, hold your breath and Wait !! Maybe in so doing you won’t be able to come here. Go Dawgs !!! Go Stetson !!!

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hey, BubbaBill!

I agree Stetson is getting too much of a verbal drubbing (which, let's face it, was started by Kirby's comments at the end of the game on national TV), but I think the debate that has brewed up below maybe misses the point.

I'm a HUGE SBIV fan (and, BTW, got a Stetson-signed National Championship helmet from my girlfriend for Christmas... an NIL benefit for the fans, I guess 😁), but whether Bennett was good, bad, or indifferent (I feel pretty good, esp. given O-line struggles), CJ Stroud played a GREAT game, and was a real high-ethics professional before, during, and after the loss... something which I place a high value on even though it seems less-and-less important to some, especially in the press.

I'll leave it to the media to continue to spin-up divisiveness, but in my book it was a great game with two great QBs... adding-in the Fiesta Bowl, it was probably one of my favorite CFB days ever (even if it was technically across two years!) ☺️

• Options

Just to be Very Clear on my part. I have Tons of respect for CJ Stroud. I wouldn’t be able to say that enough. He is Indeed a Great QB. And to the best of my knowledge a fine young man on and off the field of play. He’s handled himself with allot of class in public that I’ve seen. But I can Easily say those same things about Stetson Bennett to. And in Stetson’s case I can Add some important things to. Some people are just born into this world gifted by God to do and be certain things. When those gifted people are motivated and get out and work extremely hard and hone those special gifts they usually become people of Monumental Notoriety in our society. I say “usually” because sometimes those people get snared and side tracked by Bad things and they lose their way and never make it. But then there are people born into this world whose gift might primarily be, in some cases Only be the Heart Of A Lion. Those are people that are the Least Likely to climb Mt. Everest, but climb My. Everest they do !! Those are the people who don’t seem to possess all the “natural” gifts that are associated to a particular skill or vocation, but they Adapt and Over Come by Pure Heart alone. And many times these people because they don’t meet the pedigree or profile of historical people that Have had the “special” gifts and thrived, then they are resented, and viewed as they don’t belong. That’s MY take of Stetson Bennett. I have Four Grandsons. And if they never play a down of College football, I Hope and Pray that whatever they choose to do in life they will do it with a heart like Stetson Bennett. THAT would make This Ole GrandDaddy Very, Very Proud !!! Go Dawgs !!! Go Stetson !!!

• Options
    gafanlivinginalgafanlivinginal Posts: 63 ✭✭✭ Junior

Stroud also wasn't quoted using crude language in the locker room. Stetson didn't have to overcome having a father who is a convicted felon serving 38 years in prison. I'm pretty sure high school Stetson could afford new cleats when he needed them and didn't need his school to send his family food packages. That being said, Stetson wasn't terrible prior to the 4th quarter, and I'm sure he'd be the first to agree with Kirby that he has to play better next week. And yes, he has already earned the distinction of being GA's GOAT QB.

• Options

@gafanlivinginal You Could have just given CJ the much deserved credit he is due. I can’t understand why you felt the need to prop up CJ using Stetson to push off from. Not Stetson or the Bennett family’s fault that CJ’s Dad went to prison. Not Stetson or the Bennett family’s fault that CJ might have had difficulty getting new cleats. I suppose Stetson’s family should have withheld new cleats from him to make people in CJ’s situation feel better ? Not Stetson or the Bennett family’s fault that CJ needed school assistance. And lastly on those notes have you shadowed CJ every where he goes on and off campus to make sure he hasn’t used crude language ? Yes it Does show much character and heart on CJs part that he over came those things to succeed. Shows he’s a young man of Great character. But I would kindly ask you to Please not try to build up CJ at the cost of tearing down Stetson. Thank You.

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Marvin Harrison getting hurt was not the reason they lost...in their minds or in reality. He was only targeted 3 times after the 10 minute mark of the 2nd quarter. The reason OSU lost was CJ, Fleming, and Egboku got no help from the running game because UGA controlled the line of scrimmage battle despite exhibiting poor gap control in actually containing Stroud. UGA came back from down 14 to take a lead with Harrison on the field, and again with him on the sideline. Outside of Ohio State possibly letting it get in their heads, it made no difference from what I watched. The first half and the second half were quite similar....just in the first half OSU got the TD for the lead, and in the second half, they missed the FG to do the same.

People are really making more narratives about this game than they need to.

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Crude language? Prudes...ya know they say those who use colorful language actually have generally higher IQs...makes sense, it doesn't artificially limit one's vocabulary and allows for overall better expression.

I can guarantee you nothing you heard from Bennett is worse than what ACTUALLY is said in the locker room and as far as overcoming adversity...Bennett has plenty of that. Stroud was a 5 star recruit, everyone wanted him - past or not - including Georgia. Bennett has had to fight, claw, and grind just to get on a campus, let alone win a starting job. Don't even get me started on how the fanbase has treated him (me included). The struggles they have faced may be at different times of their life, and the specifics may be different, but everyone being critical of Bennett's arm strength or height when they at the same time drool over Bryce Young who is the same height and arm strength directly impacts Bennett's ability to earn a paycheck at the next level in the future, and how well he can provide for his family. Everyone has struggles and demons - they aren't unique. Both are equally high character. Bennett may have come from a loving, law-abiding, solid home, but that doesn't mean his life has been some silver spoon.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For the record, I have zero interest in the NFL.

Thank you, @navydawg.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

In your own words.. Stroud has 2 possible 1st round WR's to throw to at osu, and a 1st round RB. I'm all DAWG, but I don't see a 1st round NFL draft pick at RB or WR for UGA, McIntosh possibly the 2nd round. I also hear you harp on how UGA only gets 2nd tier WR's that nobody else wants. So, to say Stroud equals what Stetson has as a Bulldog, with no 1st round WR's, or 1st round RB at UGA, that you say osu has, is completely ridiculous!