Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

TCU scouting report from Michigan vantage point: A warning for the Georgia football team

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageTCU scouting report from Michigan vantage point: A warning for the Georgia football team

ATHENS -- Remember all that talk about how Michigan was going to steamroll TCU in the CFP Fiesta Bowl Semifinal?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 250 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

TCU has my respect, but I like our d-line and linebackers better than Michigan’s to shut down the run game. Our LB’s are also more athletic which I think will help in containment of Duggam. I’m sure they will get their yards and score, but we have a great offense as well.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WoodstockDawg I think Georgia wins big, too, but the question remains: How was Michigan defense so much better against Ohio State than Georgia's?

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Its the national championship, doesn't matter what your ranked only matters who plays the best for 60 minutes The frogs will have our full attention because they deserve it....but i sure wanted to see Michigan again :(

• Options
    SCDawgFanSCDawgFan Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

TCU had 3+ weeks to prepare a game plan for Michigan. They only have about 8 days to prepare for the #1 defense in the country as well as the more talented skill players that UGA has on offense which are much better and faster than Michigan's. After the close call against the Buckeyes the Dawgs will be locked in and focused to not make the same mistake two weeks in a row. Look at what they did to Auburn the week after the close call against Mizzou. Fortunately UGA has faced a couple of comparable offenses during the season so preparation will not be completely new to them.

I can't wait to see this locked in group of guys with another championship within their sights, just 60 minutes away from their grasp. This is the game when we see the guys in the trenches take over and dominate!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith Hello Mike, thanks for the great article ! No sarcasm at all but why do you think the Dawgs will win Big ? I sure hope your right ! I believe that when it’s all over the Dawgs will win, but I’m not sure by what score, large or small. I respect TCU and think they will be very tough. On your question I honestly don’t know from a Factual basis. But the OSU folks say injuries to their best players was the issue when they played Michigan. My take is that Michigan faces OSU on a regular basis. So IF the injury thing is a legitimate reason, coupled with Michigan being much more familiar with OSU and keeping in mind that Michigan was said to have had one of their better Defenses. And it just boils down imho that each game between rivals is unique of its own, that’s why we see upsets. I’m Firmly Believing in our Dawgs to make history, but I think it’s gonna be extremely difficult. Like I’ve read the Dawgs are not only facing a very good TCU team, but the added mental pressure of being the first team to repeat in the playoff era. Thanks Mike for you and All the DN writers and staff !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mike,

Stetson's ill-fated lateral did not definitively cost the team 4 points because there's no guarantee they would have scored a TD on that drive and taking a sack did not cost the team 3 points because there's no guarantee Podlesny would have made a shorter field goal. I really don't understand blaming Stetson for those "lost" points when no one knows what would have happened. Did Stackhouse and Carter cost the team 14 points when they had clear shots at Stroud on separate drives and missed and Harrison scored two TD's?

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

“The ‘Zombie Dawgs’ refused to die after trailing 38-24 entering the fourth quarter, becoming the first team in CFP history to rally from two touchdowns behind.”

Georgia trailed Oklahoma by 17 in the 2nd quarter of the 2018 Rose Bowl.

I can be your editor if you need one.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

The play Michigan ran on the goalline on 4th down was not a “double-reverse”. It was a reverse, with an option to throw to the QB. It’s commonly known as The Philly Special.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

You just come here to be negative when the Dawgs are trying to repeat this week? Are you with the internet police? Seems you might actually be looking for an editor job. Seems to be a passion of yours. But let's try to keep the energy positive this week how 'bout it?!

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The point is, Stetson can and NEEDS to play better because of the critical position he has been given the keys to drive. Stetson more than said the same...

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What is meant by that, 1st team in CFP History to come from behind down 14, IN THE 4TH QUARTER. Not the entire game.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes. Watch Top Billin' on YouTube for his discussion and breakdown of the interception Stetson threw. It's exceedingly clear that the error was on KennyMac.

(This is free to watch video available to anyone and easily found.)

There are many things to clean up and improve. Just about all our players can improve. Stetson included of course, but not everything that initially looks like Stetson's fault is his fault.

TCU is a very good team. They deserve to be where they are. I doubt any knowledgable Dawg fan is taking them lightly. I'm sure Kirby & Company are well aware of the uphill battle we face.

Michigan made a lot of mistakes, but we haven't exactly been a mistake free team recently. Again, Kirby is aware, but that doesn't mean our mistakes are easily fixable.

(No, I'm not saying we won't win the game. I am saying we could lose. It all depends on how we fix our mistakes, how good our game plan is, and how well we execute. We have the talent and determination and chemistry to pull off the win.)

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 387 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

At the end of the day, I hope the Dawgs win, but this is a 50/50 thing. TCU is very good. I don't think their wide receivers are as good, but they are good enough. Their QB can really take over a game with his feet, and he has the heart of Stetson Bennett - willing to do anything to win. We've got to start strong on Defense. Get to that QB with swarm. Pull out into coverage, really confuse him. My sincere hope is for good officiating. Holding on our defensive line was terrible this last game.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The linebacker was beat on the play -- it wasn't Kenny's mistake, he was running the wheel route -- the ball was supposed to go outside. There's a reason why Kirby Smart was upset with Bennett, although Stetson had a good fourth quarter.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike, KMac had clear leverage to the inside. He simply blew it. Jumped to the outside as the ball was thrown.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@jdatl3

No, Max Duggan cannot "take over a game with his feet." He rushes for about 40 yards per game at 3.6 yards per carry in the Big 12. It is as if you folks have forgotten what an actual dual threat QB looks like. The great dual threat QBs that the SEC had 10 years that they seem to have gotten away from - Tim Tebow, Dak Prescott, Cam Newton, Matt Jones - would be 2000 yard rushers against Big 12 defenses. As far as "having the heart of Stetson Bennett" ... that is all well and good but a key reason why SB IV is undefeated is having more talent around him than any team in the country, and by a good margin, who make him far more effective. Duggan is surrounded by a combination of 3 star recruits and transfer portal guys, including a career backup DT at UGA who is the second string NT for TCU.

Look, TCU is a great story. But Tennessee was Ohio State with lesser athletes. You saw how that game went for them against UGA. Well, TCU is Tennessee with lesser athletes. ( @MikeGriffith should know that Tennessee runs the 3-3-5 also.)