Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

TCU scouting report from Michigan vantage point: A warning for the Georgia football team

Comments

• jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

At the end of the day, I hope the Dawgs win, but this is a 50/50 thing. TCU is very good. I don't think their wide receivers are as good, but they are good enough. Their QB can really take over a game with his feet, and he has the heart of Stetson Bennett - willing to do anything to win. We've got to start strong on Defense. Get to that QB with swarm. Pull out into coverage, really confuse him. My sincere hope is for good officiating. Holding on our defensive line was terrible this last game.

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The linebacker was beat on the play -- it wasn't Kenny's mistake, he was running the wheel route -- the ball was supposed to go outside. There's a reason why Kirby Smart was upset with Bennett, although Stetson had a good fourth quarter.

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike, KMac had clear leverage to the inside. He simply blew it. Jumped to the outside as the ball was thrown.

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@jdatl3

No, Max Duggan cannot "take over a game with his feet." He rushes for about 40 yards per game at 3.6 yards per carry in the Big 12. It is as if you folks have forgotten what an actual dual threat QB looks like. The great dual threat QBs that the SEC had 10 years that they seem to have gotten away from - Tim Tebow, Dak Prescott, Cam Newton, Matt Jones - would be 2000 yard rushers against Big 12 defenses. As far as "having the heart of Stetson Bennett" ... that is all well and good but a key reason why SB IV is undefeated is having more talent around him than any team in the country, and by a good margin, who make him far more effective. Duggan is surrounded by a combination of 3 star recruits and transfer portal guys, including a career backup DT at UGA who is the second string NT for TCU.

Look, TCU is a great story. But Tennessee was Ohio State with lesser athletes. You saw how that game went for them against UGA. Well, TCU is Tennessee with lesser athletes. ( @MikeGriffith should know that Tennessee runs the 3-3-5 also.)

@thadec There are different versions of the 3-3-5 -- like Kirby was asked about how this version compares to Mississippi State -- and the answer was, not much at all.

Its more about the personnel on the field, and how teams adust. If Washington can't go, it really takes a hunk out of the playbook, because he's like an OT and he creates an extra gap that strains a three-man front.

edited January 2023

@Hemingwey I've talked to people on the team, it was a wheel route -- some grow tired of other players being blamed and Stet's army giving him all the praise while many other Georgia players who have contributed heavily have been overlooked and underappreciated -- this is a TEAM EFFORT. Stet did not play 60 minutes of good football, and by his own admission played 30 minutes of bad football.

People want so bad for the narrative to go a certain way they blame others and create faulty film study.

There's a reason Kirby came out and put the blame on Stetson -- it wasn't by accident. Everything Kirby does is with cause.

There's a reason Stetson told Marty Smith he played like a$$ and was very critical of himself after the game.

It's ok that players sometimes don't play perfect -- because there are other times -- Stet's case Oregon, Tennessee, LSU and the 4th QTR vs. Ohio State -- that they play really well.

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 412 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mike, you are incorrect on this. The linebacker was beat either way but the leverage did dictate a throw to the inside. Sure it prob was a touch down or massive gain if Stet had 1 second longer to read it; but he didn’t. Do you think Stet shoulda handed it to kMac on the read option where he kept it and got tackled for a loss??

• StiffneckStiffneck Posts: 83 ✭✭✭ Junior

"an ill-fated lateral at the OSU 3 that moved the ball back to the 13 leading to a field goal (3 points) instead of the points awarded for a TD and extra point (4 points)"

Bennett was supposed to pass to a tight end or throw it away.  Couldn't get it to the TE so instead of giving up on the play and tossing it away, he tried to flip it to McConkey. Didn't cost the team 4 points.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes Washington will be missed. No doubt. But just like Amarius Mims has done a good job filling in for McClendon, I think Delp will do a pretty decent job of filling in for Washington. Regardless of the size difference. We All know you don’t get to play in the Smart/Monken Offense unless you can block effectively. So though there will probably a piece of the playbook missing I don’t know if it can be characterized as a Chunk.

@MikeGriffith I don’t think this comment was called for and I don’t think it represents the whole truth either. Can you provide Factual statements from Dawgs that Clearly show a resentment of Stetson ?? I didn’t want to believe that you actually Do have something personal against Stetson but after this comment, it’s obvious your frustration boiled over. No matter that you tried to put a little Camo on it at the end either !! Stetson has a 28-3 record that’s not luck. If he gets 177 more yds. he’ll be the first 4000+ yd. QB in Dawgs history. I like and appreciate your articles Mike, but this was uncalled for and I’m disappointed !! Your comment: some grow tired of other players being blamed and Stet's army giving him all the praise while many other Georgia players who have contributed heavily have been overlooked and underappreciated -- this is a TEAM EFFORT.

edited January 2023

Oh and Yes it is indeed a Team effort but Stetson is now and has been an integral part of That Team effort. I Know that I most definitely appreciate ALL our Dawgs. Even any current walk-ons on the Scout Team, as they contribute in a Big Way to the starters success. Yeah I gush over Stetson, Tons of Dawgs fans do. But that doesn’t mean I (WE) don’t appreciate the Whole Team. Other fan bases have continually gushed over Their QBs, like Caleb Williams, CJ Stroud, Max Duggan etc. etc. I fully get that. Why wouldn’t they be proud of their QBs ?? But Dawgs fans Right Here have also bragged Allot ( as well they Should) on players like Brock B., Kenny Mac, Ladd Mac, the Big O, Big J.Carter, M. Starks, Kendall M., etc. etc. The list of players that have been cited and Bragged On by Dawgs fans comments right here on DN is really to numerous to count. As far as Stetson goes there are Some that the only way he’ll get their respect is put on a cape and fly around the stadium !! And in their case they Still might not give credit and respect !! I Love All our Dawgs !! And SO Proud of them. But I’m pretty confident they don’t mind if we gush over Stetson, because They Know that He Knows it takes the whole team.

“some grow tired of other players being blamed and Stet's army giving him all the praise while many other Georgia players who have contributed heavily have been overlooked and underappreciated -- this is a TEAM EFFORT”

That’s a hot take if there ever was one. “Stet’s army”? The guy has been one of the most maligned good quarterbacks to ever take a snap. 🤣

Nobody, least of all me, thinks Stet does what he does all by himself. Nor does anyone claim he is perfect. The success of the Dawgs is certainly a team effort contributed to by many great players doing many great things, as well as (mostly) great coaching. Stetson would not be successful without his team, and vice versa.

He didn’t just have a great 4th quarter, he had a very good first half as well (go look at the stats and then watch the throws and decisions he made). Everyone, including Stet, acknowledges that he and the offense had a poor third quarter. However, without Stetson’s historically good overall performance, the Dawgs don’t win the OSU game. Saying so takes nothing away from any other player on the team—many of who made amazing contributions to the win.

Meanwhile, you harp incessently on each and every mistake Stetson makes and blame him most times the team has a bad play or a poor period. Here, you actually went so far as to piece together an off topic argument claiming Stetson (alone) cost the team 14 points and threw it in an article where it didn’t belong. Over the last two years, you have repeatedly singled him out for undue (and often misguided) criticism, while gushing over opposing players and Georgia quarterbacks who are sitting on the bench. You are decidely not objective. You have a clear anti-Stetson bias. I try hard to give you the benefit of the doubt, and you do make solid journalistic contributions in other coverage of the team, but your anti-Stetson narrative has become very tiresome to many Georgia fans.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Stets puts a little air under that throw to KMac I think Kmac blows by the defender as I don't rember there being a safety over the top on that INT. I believe it would have been a long TD.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

NEver heard of a wheel route where the RB checks up.

It was just one of those things… the pressure was coming… had Stetson had a second longer to read what KMac was doing, I agree, its a TD.