Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Alabama coordinator moves on, Georgia Co-DC Glenn Schumann rumored candidate

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageAlabama coordinator moves on, Georgia Co-DC Glenn Schumann rumored candidate

ATHENS — Pete Golding is leaving the Alabama defensive coordinator position to assume the same post at Ole Miss, leading many to speculate on who might replace him in Tuscaloosa.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He’s young enough to bide his time til Nick retires but Nick has been burning though Assistants at a frantic pace. If our LB coach is a rising star as some have said he might move into Schumann’s place.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A lateral move for him is not a good idea.

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Coach Todd Hartley is waaay underpaid!

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Oh, Coach Schu say it ain’t so!!

I see Coach Muschamp being the one most likely to move on (after his son graduates) which would leave it all to Coach Schu!

Saban would also be more likely to hire Pruitt than Coach Schu anyway….

at least I hope…..

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

I didn't know that Coach Schumann was an AL grad. This is a no brainer for AL. An AL grad. A top rated DC. Trained by both CNS and CKS. Taking a valuable piece from major rival UGA. CNS will make this happen.

This is not good for UGA. But good for Schumann. A few years being trained by CNS and Schumann will be 1st in line to take over for Saban at AL. I don't think Schumann can say no to that possibility.

This is not a lateral move. His salary will double and there will be no "co -DC" title.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Your probably right. But the folks in charge at UGA should offer him enough $$ to make it mighty hard to leave !! And as I said in my other comments, in addition a Big bonus to him and All the coaches for a Threepeat !! The one good thing is I’m very confident that NS ain’t the easiest guy to work with. If Schumann does go ever there with the “Kirby thinking” still in his head, maybe, hopefully, it’d create some controversy between him and ole Nick. Cause we all know NS has an ego bigger than the Titanic !! But I fully agree it won’t be good at all for UGA in many ways. I Hope UGA will at least try to tempt him into staying. But if he goes, he goes. Just have to try to work around it. Price of success.

• Options
    Uxga_XUxga_X Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Austin Armstrong is who Saban wants, not coach Shu, Feldman is FOS

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

From a money, immediate prospects position, I thought the exact same thing. At the same time, if something is comparable on that level, and something like closer to home, family, etc., there's not really a sacrifice. With that said, though, one would think that any coordinator position at AL would bring in more money than an equivalent position at pretty much any other school in the West. If that isn't the case, there's a problem. If money, but culture is the issue, there's still an issue. Really, the only thing that I can think of (and I think I'm a pretty creative guy) that holds any water, and isn't related to money or integrity, is family. That's the catch, though; after a certain point, when we've marked off parallels, it's all just speculation.

ALLLLLLLLL that aside... I do hope CGS sticks around. He and Muschamp seem to be a solidly-well-balanced force for our overall defense.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

As he claimed just a short while ago that he was returning it may not have been his decision.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 183 ✭✭✭ Junior

I should have gotten into coaching.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

If I was Glenn, I'd be patient....raises are on the way, success is guaranteed, Family is happy in Athens, and Saban is not long for his HC position.....Schumann would be the BEST replacement for Saban that I could imagine.....almost forgot, Bama has a culture problem.....a DC has no chance of correcting that....only the HC!

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 395 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Problems or not, some AL fans would say the only problem in Bama land was Pete Golding's D. There is no mystery here. Golding found a soft landing spot before he was asked to leave. AL has underperformed on D compared to their blue chip talent ratio. There is still a ton of talent at AL and another #1 recruiting class.

For those pushing Austin Armstrong for DC, it is wishful thinking. AA was hired to the staff. Had he been hired as DC it would have been announced. He may be a fallback but Schumann is the 1st choice.

What better asset could CNS have vs AL's biggest rival and biggest threat than to have an insider come in to his organization? Expect AL to throw a ton of money at Schumann.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Pretty sure they're not happy with their OC either. They haven't be great on either side of the ball lately, and they're now losing their most important player on each side. For all that talent that they've recruited, and for as hard as they've hit the portal, there really ought to be some general concern about the state of their program. Bama fans will hold on tight to the idea that they were a few plays away from making the playoff. But it's also true that they were a few plays away from losing 4 or 5 games. This, after being a heavy favorite to win it all; wasn't 2021 supposed to be the "rebuilding" year? Maybe it's just a couple bad hires, but maybe it's more. Time will tell.

I hope they don't poach Schumann. But if they do, I think we'll be fine from a coaching standpoint. My main concern would be losing '23 and '24 recruits. As for a Georgia insider going to Bama, there will be at least an entire regular season's worth of developments before that could ever be a factor, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that. It sure didn't help Oregon.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Waiting til after the parade and celebration to announce Schuman to BAMA?