Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

“Are you ready for some [Braves] baseball!?”

Comments

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm sorry about the false info in my post. Sunday is an off day. If you definitely want to see Zach Wheeler on Sunday, I'd suggest Country Club of the South or St.Ives.

• Options
    donniemdonniem Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    swilkerson7317swilkerson7317 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Phils are a legit team and can beat the Braves.

This is good. Will make beating them sweeter.....if we can pull it off.

• Options

My confidence level is at around 5 out of 10 for the Braves to beat the fightin' Phils. Pitching has been spotty over the last couple of weeks. It it remains that way, we are in deep doo-doo.

• Options
    rennerrenner Posts: 95 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just read that Jesse and Kyle are out for NLDS roster. Daysbel Hernandez (who??) is in

• Options
  • Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    philipsmith99philipsmith99 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Once again Braves no offense in playoffs. Lose 3-0.

• Options

I read an interesting take on the new postseason schedule, posted on FB this morning on The TomaBlog. Thoughts??

The TomaBlog

9h 

· 

The new playoff format is a failure

Two years ago the MLB came up with one of its dumbest ideas it’s ever had, restructuring the playoffs, adding another Wild Card team, adding a whole Wild Card round, and giving a whole round off for the top 4 teams in baseball.

Last year the Braves and the Dodgers were both quick outs, losing in 4 games. The Yankees escaped against the Guardians, and the Astros swept the Mariners, good for them.

In 2023, the playoff format has looked even worse, at least to me, I’m a Braves fan.

Remember that the goal of moving the NLDS was to give an advantage to the top 4 teams in baseball. And there is a pile of evidence growing to show that it’s the exact opposite. And good teams should be extremely upset, because it holds the possibility to waste great regular seasons on a contextual dice roll of a series.

For one, I hate the additional Wild Card team. If you’re the 6th best team in in the National League, I don’t believe you earned a playoff spot. And I think that because I’ve seen the Phillies go 7-14 for the last 3 weeks of 2022. And now I’ve seen the Marlins, Diamondbacks and Cubs all play uninspired baseball at the end of the regular season, two of them made the playoffs. It wasn’t a sprint to the finish, it was the only teams not to collapse. The playoff expansion didn’t create better baseball.

Now every sport is expanding their postseason. It’s a win for everyone, it keeps 5 or 6 more fanbases invested in the sport for and extra month or two.

There’s just one difference. A football game is a football game is a football game. A 7 game basketball series is a same no matter what.

The MLB has different rules for every series. You can win 99 games and lose your division and be playing in a 3 game series like the Rays and be out quick. You can win 87 games, finish 3rd in your division, and catch your grove in the Wild Card round and win the NL, like the Phillies.

And most importantly, you can win 100 games, then the MLB will force you to find something to do for a period longer than the All-Star break, then force you to fight for your life in a 5 game series against a team that already won a playoff series. Every team has a unique challenge to overcome that is created by the playoff system.

Is the problem not obvious? The early portion of playoffs has nothing to do with who the best teams are. Winning in this postseason format has everything to do with how your place in the playoff system agrees with your roster and how you’re playing. Maybe the Astros are really good at it. They’re the exception, not the rule.

If the Braves finished the season with 104 wins, had 1 day off, then started a 5 game series and lost, I would only have qualms against the team, because it’s the same for everyone.

But this is not the same for everyone.

The Braves and the Dodgers are finding the deck stacked against them for the second year in a row, with no time to find themselves after an unprecedented rest period. Taking 5 days off would be hard to start back up from if everyone were doing it. But that’s not the case. You have to come back from unusually long rest, while your opponent has been playing playoff baseball.

It’s contrived, it’s not normal baseball. It’s certainly not our best against their best. We did that for 162 games and we’re 14 games better than them. 8-5 head to head. We took 3 of 4 in their house to win the division, and that was normal baseball. This is not. Even if the Braves find a way to win, it’s because we survived this assault from the NLDS rules. We’re not just overcoming another team, we’re overcoming the circumstance.

Why don’t we ask the Phillies if they’d rather have played the Marlins or played sim games for 5 days?

It was a horrible decision from the MLB to change the playoff format to this, and the Braves and Dodgers have been good sports about it to this point, but they need to light Rob Manfred up. Because the Braves and Dodgers have no intention of not winning 100 plus games every year. And if the MLB does not remedy this problem they are punishing two of its most well run franchises. And I’m especially mad because I feel like the Braves can’t help but win 100+ games next year, and we’ll find ourselves in the exact same miserable circumstance.

It means if we lose, Braves fans are going to have to find a way to enjoy another 100 win season in 2024, knowing we’re just crossing our fingers for one miserable week in October where we try to find a different way to win a short series.

If the Braves lost a 7 game series to another team, there would be nothing to talk about other than who played better baseball. But that’s not what this is. This is about whose playoff circumstances benefited them more.

These rules are trash. Playoff baseball should be about baseball, not scheduling. And you can tell that baseball’s best teams are not able to play baseball like normal because they’re trying to overcome scheduling.

Even if all the top teams advance, the MLB needs to change the rules. It was a bad idea from the beginning, and they shouldn’t be putting this additional burden every year on its perennial contenders.

• Options
    SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The MLB will not make a change until we protest outside every stadium and scream out equal and fair treatment and then maybe!

They don't care, they don't care about the players, the teams or most notably the fans!

I love the Braves and will suport them no matter what, but when they squashed the All-Star game and took away our celebration for Hank Aaron, yep that did it for me!

Explain that to me!

I should of protested more and did things to put me on the news, maybe even CNN! They love a good protest!

• Options

Can’t say I disagree…… let’s see how Max and the Braves offense fair against Wheeler and the Phillies offense

• Options
    BumBum Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hopefully the Braves have woken up from their nap. Its time to play some playoff baseball or get run off the field.

• Options
    swilkerson7317swilkerson7317 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

They lose tonight it's over.

I agree the 5 game series after 162 game season is dumb.

Nobody will care if it's the Braves. But let the Yankees have a 100+ win season then get eliminated in a short series. Then it will change.

• Options

I am ready for a Braves win

• Options

Braves have struck out 6 that is six times thru 1st 2 innings. Olson reached on Philly error.

Phillies are all over Fried s fastball and ump is squeezing strike zone on him.

Apparently Braves are not ready!

• Options

Thru 4 innings Braves still don't have a ball out of infield. Fried pulled.

Braves lifeless

• Options

THIS. SUCKS.

the Braves need a Kirby halftime speech!!

• Options

Two run homer by D’arnaud!!

Score now 4-3! Bottom of the seventh with one out!

Wheeler knocked out …..RALLY TIME!

• Options

Glad you called on Kirby, we got life. D Arnoud 2 run hr, down 4-3, Wheeler knocked out.