Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirk Herbstreit: ‘Bama, LSU just a little bit ahead of Georgia’

Comments

• Options
    FalconUGAFanFalconUGAFan Posts: 142 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think he is right. In fact, our Dawgs will be lucky if they go 7-5!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So an interesting take. Let's play along. Georgia has had multiple arrests, 2 deaths and lost their best DL to the transfer portal along with their best wr. On top of that we lost a very underrated qb and a genius at OC. We have consistency questions at rb who seem all to be injury prone and lost Washington at TE who truly was a difference maker. Not to belabor it but we lost our defense's team leader in Nolan and our best player in Jalen Carter. Plus a clutch secondary guy.

So we have lost a lot and the future is unknown. Alabama on the other hand has 9 5 star players including a running back whose dad was Mr. Hobnail Boot. All reports are that he is looking like the next Heisman rb for Alabama. It sure would have been nice to have him...

Alabama is on fire this year and has pulled out all the stops to stop us dead in our tracks and somehow Texas and LSU fans they are going to beat Bama this year in Bryant-Denny.

So Herbstreit has an interesting point. Maybe our schedule will be too soft to win at Neyland and the SECCG could be the 2nd loss and final nail in the coffin of our 3-peat.

This is what makes the season so great is that every game matters. Enjoy it, because it goes away next year. Yes the games count but not as much.

With all that said I know what I saw and this team is ready to give it their best. I don't see anyone stopping us this year. I just don't.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2023

A typical comment from the osu clown.. He can't get over the fact the DAWGS beat his precious buckeyes 🙄 suprised he doesn't have osu ahead of UGA also. Yet, he's considered an "expert".. Too bad it's only in his small mind.

• Options

7 victories for UGA will still be more games than the falcons will win this year, enjoy being the cellar dweller..AGAIN 🤣😂🤣

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Smart also shared how, earlier this spring, he had to call two of his best defensive players into a meeting because he didn’t feel they were bringing the same intensity and hunger as they were the year before at that time."____MG

Lol...wonder how many times, Kirby has done that very same thing with other players...and, DIDN'T share it with the press or the fans.

He probably does it EVERY year. It's part of "The process". Didn't he say he had a similar talk with some of the 2021 defenders...and a couple of the offensive guys, Bennett included?

To tell the media, he "had to call two of his best defensive players into a meeting"...says nothing. He's gas lighting the defense. He probably called every one of the projected "starters" into his office to have "the talk". But, by saying it was "two of his best defenders", every one of the guys he talked to, assumes he was aiming those comments directly at "them". Because generally...what's "said and done" in the Coach's office...stays in the coach's office..

Also, other than Dumas-Johnson...who was the other "Team Leader" involved in a "postseason traffic incident"? I don't remember a second...but, there HAVE been a few. Lol

• Options
    edited June 2023

"He’ll have to see it to believe it."___MG & KH

In 2021 & 2022...UGA had 2 of the most dominant teams, I've ever seen...and, that includes all of Nick Saban's teams, with exception of one (2011)...maybe two (2020/COVID). 2023, '24 & '25 promise more of the same.

While Sabans "Red Water Foundation" has shown signs of severe cracking and erosion. He's at least 2 years away from dominance...IF...he's headed in the right direction with his new Coordinator hires.

What MORE do you need to see? The trajectory for the Smart and Kelly Programs are trending upward...the Saban Program is trending downward, in a classic "bear market" fashion.

Why are they hanging on so hard, to Nick Saban and Alabama? What's in it for them? I've always questioned the overt bias by the Sports Reporting industry...but now, their "Slip is showing". Lol

Also...I think this is the last year, we'll have this conversation. It'll be obvious to everyone, in January 2024...and, the narrative will forever be changed. Great to be a Dawg Fan. Lol

• Options
    FalconUGAFanFalconUGAFan Posts: 142 ✭✭✭ Junior

You really don't get the joke, do you? Allow me to help. Nolan Smith told his team mates that the media was picking them to go 7-5 and they used it to motivate themselves to a Natty. I was trying to do the same this year.

And yea the Falcons ****. Pretty common knowledge.

• Options
    DawggieDawggie Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited June 2023

Every time I feel good about this team, another “Captain” gets dumb…

• Options

My apologies for the misunderstanding. I was trying to think what 5 teams on UGA's schedule were going to beat them lol 2 losses maybe, with UT being a possibility, and a possible slip up against someone like kentucky or auburn. I hope I'm wrong and they run the table again, we'll just have to wait and see..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    edited June 2023

FYI...The Falcons will win 11 or 12 games this year and Ridder will come into his own. That's my prediction.

IMO..."Defense" is their biggest question mark. With some of the off-season moves they made...the defense could either, be "great"...or at least, better than last year, which isn't sayin' much......or they could be same-ol'-Falcon "bend-n'-break" defense. Lol

Offense should be a strength.

And, BTW...I got the gist of your joke. Lol

• Options

Dumas-Johnson....and, who?

Carter? Stopped being a UGA Bulldog and became an NFL Player in-waiting...after the '22 CFPCG...BEFORE..."The accident". So, he don't count, in my book. Is there another one?

• Options

I don't get why everybody is "all-in" on Tennessee, this year. Personally, I believe South Carolina (S.C.) is going to be the second best team in the East...and, "The Team to Watch"...IMO. I just hope UGA doesn't overlook em.

S.C., unlike TENN has a returning QB that broke out and built confidence, last year. I get they lost some pieces...but, TENN lost some too....including a Heisman Candidate QB. Rattler has emerged as a leader that the team seems to rally around and respond to. The only thing, that could derail their '23 prospects, is injury.

My money's on Carolina. I like what I'm seeing.

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BigDawg61

Ever heard of the SEC Network? Just happens to be owned by ESPN.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bama, OSU, and Michigan, ( and you could easily throw in ND to), Herbie and the rest of the ESPN talking heads just can’t get over them Lol !! Year after year after year, no matter what, He and them are gonna paint those teams as dominant giants of the field. But we see the end result.

Of those I would say that Bama does belong there in the Every year conversation because of the Majority of their end results. But Herbie is saying that Saban will have “the same fire” from the past and in my humble opinion That is questionable. To Me it looks like Saban is slowly ( or maybe even not so slowly) losing his fire.

While conversely Kirby is gaining fire, stoked even higher by the knowledge that he and the Dawgs CAN and Have won National Titles. So the the old “Georgia hasn’t won a Natty in a million years” **** is not only off Kirby’s back, it’s off his back like a Matt Stafford long bomb !!

Yes the Dawgs have had turnover of players, but so has everyone else. It really boils down to coaching. And even with the departures of some coaches, I’d match or More Than match this UGA coaching staff against Any and All of college football.

The off season Road Wildman stuff has been a negative distraction. But I honestly believe all four high performance disc brakes will kick in and that nonsense will come to a very abrupt stop once the season kicks off.

This team Knows and will know even better by then that they have a once in a Century opportunity to make Awesome Magic with a Threepeat !! I’m Believing that Kirby and his coaches Will have them girded and prepared for battle for that first kick off and on to Glory !! Go Dawgs !! GATA !!

• Options
    edited June 2023

@CClayC88

Yeah...I know. But, Paul Finebaum doesn't always "line up" with ESPN. In fact, he's becoming more and more outspoken about the bias and their extra-sports agenda. Probably, because as far as most people are concerned He IS the SEC Network. Getting rid of him now, would be tantamount to FOX News firing Tucker Carlson. Lol...maybe worse.

When they have a guest host on his show...their ratings plunge.

BTW...I know Finebaum is an Alabama and Tennessee "Homer"...Lol...but, he's as close to unbiased and open minded as you'll find, in the media today...no matter the genre. I don't always agree with him...especially when it comes to Bammer...but, you know what you're getting and he'll let you "call-in" and have your say, not knowing what He's getting. I have respect.

Actually...now that I'm thinking about it...the same can be said, for @MikeGriffith .

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting and objective take. A lot of UGA fans follow UGA but don't really follow the competition closely. So they really can't be objective. As an example I saw an article recently ranking the best (PFF grades?) offensive linemen in the SEC. There were 9 players listed. I was surprised to see only Amarius Mims among the top 9 SEC OL. He was rated #6 and was rated below an FU guy I had never heard of. Had to be because of differences in experience. I was also surprised no other UGA OL (SVPG? Ratledge? Truss?) was rated in the top 9 yet 3 (!) Alabama OL were rated in the top 9. Alabama has been stockpiling talent like they always have.

People easily forget that AL was in the championship game 2 seasons ago and led after 3Q's. Alabama has one "down" year (lose 2 games on the last play of the game) and suddenly they aren't AL anymore.

There is a bit of a desperation vibe coming out of Tuscaloosa these days. Saban must know he is getting close to the end. He is pulling out all the stops to win it all again. New DC, new OC, raiding the TP, grab a QB that played for new OC last season and knows the system. Current player's feelings be damned.

It could go either way for Saban and AL. There's talent there and new coaches. Anybody that thinks AL doesn't have QB's that can manage that team to wins hasn't seen their QB's play. AL has 2 guys that have played and won at the CFB level. None of the UGA QB's walks into this AL team and starts for AL. You have to wonder IF AL continues to NOT win championships if Saban will stick around. Does he want and have to go out w/a championship? Or will his legacy as the GOAT start to erode (and hasten his retirement) should he continue to not win CFBCG's? Best way to get rid of Saban is to continue to beat him. Easier said than done.

It will be tough for any team to dominate CFB with the playing field leveling. Even UGA. Bryce Young gets the ball over Ringo's head and OSU makes a very makeable FG and UGA fans are still hearing "1980". Games are that close and margin for error is not existent.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with many of your observations except one-- that no Georgia QB could start on the current Bama team. Our top three quarterbacks were all offered and recruited hard by Alabama, and I'd say both Beck and Vandagriff would have a reasonable shot at starting there this year (Stockton would in another year or two). In short, Bama (like Georgia) goes hard after players they believe will one day be starters, and at least two of our guys would give their current QB room a run for their money. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2023

To be honest, I don't really feel like getting into detail on this, so all I'll say is that there's a lot you have to ignore to make these arguments you're making.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2023

Yes the UGA QB's were recruited by AL and could play for them. Probably not this year. "Walks into THIS AL team (now)". Beck is the only QB that could beat out any the top 2 or 3 AL QB's now and even that is a guess at best right now. Is he expected to play like the 6 yr veteran he is replacing from day 1? That is pretty ambitious. Especially considering Beck's tendency to put the ball up for grabs (lack of experience). All of his very limited game experience comes in mop up duty vs overmatched teams. He has not shown yet what he is as an every day starter in the SEC. It is all speculative.

Buchner has 2 years in the Rees system and Milroe is a work in progress but is a weapon running and played well last season starting games in the SEC and in the spring game. As did Simpson (2021 5*). Personally I think Milroe is AL starting QB. He is surrounded by weapons and his passing is improving. He may be the most dangerous running QB in CFB. Buchner was bought in because of his relationship w/Rees and as insurance should running Milroe get hurt. The other AL QB's are not ready to compete yet for championships in Saban's twilight coaching years.

I would say you don't have to ignore a lot to make these arguments but that you have to assume a lot to make an argument for a UGA QB. The UGA QB's have not shown enough yet to say definitely they will be good starters in the SEC now.

• Options

Lol...I feel the same way. Why bother. The season will blow that particular narrative all to hell. We'll talk about it in December. Bama will be sitting at 8-4 or 9-3...and, out of the conversation.

Bama's QB situation is a hot mess and, from what I've seen, neither of their 2 top guys could run UGA's practice squad. Lol...Nick Saban is worried, and I don't blame him. Out of desperation, he went to the portal. But, there are no guarantees with the guy he picked up from Notre Dame. In fact there are as many question marks with Him as there are with the 2 Saban already has.

I guess he figures...if he throws enough quarterbacks against the wall...one of em will stick. Lol. I blame Bill O'Brian for their current predicament...but, Saban was right there with him step-for-step on the recruiting trail over the last several years...so, Saban too, must shoulder the brunt of the "blame"..

Bama QB situation aside...no matter the Alabama QB...Whomever it is, will not have the supporting cast that the UGA QB will have. In fact, you could say that, about every single Team and QB in the Nation.

Alabama had, supposedly, "the best QB" for the last 2 years. What did it get them... with an inconsistent offensive line and no WR's to stretch the field or catch the ball consistently...much less, block? This year...IMO...the Dawgs have 1...maybe 2...of the top 10 QB's in College Football. But, that's not really the "Bulldog story". The "rest of the team", is the story.

I said it in '20, '21 and '22 (& before)..."The quarterback is only 1/22nd of a football team. The other 21/22nds of the UGA Bulldogs can (& DO) make up for a bad day from the QB position (or, Bad Luck). Alabama...and the rest of College Football hasn't been able to say that in some time.

I'd say Kirby Smart is the "Master of the Portal-verse". He only takes what he needs...but, uses what he takes...and, gives back 10-fold. Lol

The Bulldog Story...😁🤫😎...when they take the field, Smart, Muschamp and Bobo get together on the 50 Yd line to shout..."BY THE POWER OF REDSKULL!!!" And, poof...Super Dog, Underdog, Uga I thru X (Space Ghosts), Deputy Dog, Snoopy...all your basic metaphysical dogs on UGA's team suit up to meet the challenge. BTW....Saban is Lex Luther and Kiffin is Brainiac, in my little cartoon football world. Lol...Heupel is Elmer Fudd and Florida's coach is permanently named...Wiley E. Coyote...no matter who it is. Lol

Feel free to add to the storyline. Lol