Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Blindside movie was a fraud

Comments

• Options
    swilkerson7317swilkerson7317 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes that is weird as well. Not as weird as a Judge approving it in the first place.

But also strange he didn't end it sooner.

Some part of the story is being left out of all of this. This is why we have courts. You can lie with impunity outside of a court. Inside a court you can lie but there are serious consequences if you do.

• Options

That and she was admitted for psych care twice. Once after a tense standoff with police.

Was pretty clear she was having mental health issues.

Her situation and Michael Oher's could not be more different.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's why I think he knew all about it. My gut is telling me that Mike has run through all his NFL money and this is a desperate attempt to get some financial security. Mike's side just doesn't add up. I have a feeling that maybe Mike is a bit slow and was extremely immature and naive at the time and the conservatorship really was put in place to protect him. If I remember correctly, he was a pretty highly rated football player at the time (another thing the movie got very wrong). I'm sure there were all kinds of people trying to get to him.

• Options
    SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The book and especially the movie, got a lot of things wrong. There was a lot of liberties taken, to provide, a proper flow of the information!

Put it in front of a judge, tell the truth or provide your version of what happened or your lies! Once the real story comes out, we can move on, but this has been riddiculos! None of it makes sense! How can the conservatorship go on for this long? Why would he not know about it?

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m glad Oher has a judge that’s willing to bring these crooked thugs to justice

• Options

Yep. Anyone care to apologize for previous comments? I think Oher has a screw loose. Kind of surprising how little the family was paid for the movie overall.

• Options
    DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep could’ve definitely got more based on how much rev it made. But they probably didn’t think it would be a huge hit and settled for something reasonable. I’m assuming it was their first rodeo on movie negotiations. Oher no doubt lied and not going to look good on the back end of this

• Options

You’re really going to bat for these disgusting thugs still?

• Options
    edited November 2023

I see both things as true.

1. Oher was paid over 34 million dollars in his NFL career. If he is having financial trouble that really is on him. According to recent court docs he was paid 138,000 for the movie.
    2. The Tuohy family did profit handsomely from the movie. Seems the movie proceeds were split 5 ways with Oher receiving a 1/5 cut and the Tuohy family of 4 getting a 4/5 cut. The family made close to half a million from the movie. A tidy profit. Im not naive enough to think they didn't see Oher as a potential payday. The family has made a lot of money off the story outside the movie proceeds. Hefty speaking fees etc etc.

In our polarized world everything seems to be a binary choice. But that often doesn't match reality.

• Options

The movie was as much about the Tuohy family as it was about Oher. It wasn't the "Michael Oher Story". Mike got an even cut of the proceeds. Not sure what Mike is complaining about. Nothing polarizing about it. Nobody was taken advantage of.

• Options
    edited November 2023

Thugs? Where do you get that? They split the money evenly. They don't appear to have taken advantage of him in any way. In fact to me it looks like Mike was trying to extort money from the Tuohy family. What an ungrateful jerk.

• Options

I haven't seen the movie I'll admit. But cmon nobody cares about the Tuohy family. Just another family of Wasps. Oher was the story.

Obviously it looks like he is lying about not being paid. But again the Tuohy's have made millions off this story. Good for them. And yes I do think that was the point of the arraignment from their perspective.

• Options
    edited November 2023

Well, they haven't made millions. That has been made clear. I'm sure they benefitted in reputation from the movie, but then so did Mike. Everyone made out pretty well....till Mike lost his mind and ruined it for everyone.

Some of y'all just have a problem with successful white people. Like they are all bad people or something. your default position is that when in question just assume they are scumbags. I wonder if Mike would have had the success he enjoyed in college and the NFL without the Touhys.

• Options

Mike made about $35M in the NFL while under the conservatorship of the Touhys, and yet they never claimed any of that money. What a bunch of thugs....

• Options

you obviously don’t know anything about this. They made millions off their businesses not much off movie. Actually very little off movie which is verified. They also spent a lot of money on oher when he lived with them. They didn’t take one red cent of his ever. He blew his money and now blaming others instead of himself. He should be set for life with the money he’s made. Now he’s lying and tries to “extort” money from them. He’s desperate

• Options

Well the judge found their **** behavior highly disturbing.

This is also pretty much how every family legal expert feels about the arrangement and that it was ripe for abuse since he was not appointed an independent observer by the court.

Also this is merely a claim from the Tuohys that they paid Oher a paltry $8100 a year for the movie. We have no idea if this was paid directly to his account or if it was put into a trust with his name on it under the control of the Tuohys. In the past the Tuohys claimed they put the money into a trust for Oher’s son but now they claim they paid Oher directly? If there is one thing we’ve learned from this ordeal is that if the Tuohys are breathing, they are lying.

They also haven’t addressed using his likeness for their multiple books released after the movie as well as their “adoption charity”

• Options

Some of y'all just have a problem with successful white people.

LOL. Im a successful white person. Ive heard this line before it's nonsense. But it is pumped out relentlessly in certain media. After all successful white people are the real victims.

Why did they refer to him as their adoptive son over and over?

They referred to him as their adoptive son because that sells better when negotiating large speaking fees. Even though it was a lie.

Lets just say we will disagree on this one.

• Options

how was he harmed? It did not hurt him in any way. They didn’t take anything from him. He was not taken advantage of. However, they did house him and laid alot of his expenses while he lived with them. Such thuggery huh? The movie made very little money for them and they split it evenely. They helped him not hurt him. It’s not that hard to see. He blew his money and now he wants to blame someone else. That’s the way society works these days. He should be loaded but he’s broke because he couldn’t manage his freaking money. But yeah it’s the Tuohys fault.