Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

‘This is cut-throat,” Georgia player podcast sounds off on NIL, portal and recruiting

13»

Comments

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've listened to a few podcast/interviews of pundits and former UGA players who though they think Bobo is an awesome OC, didn't think he called a particularly great game or had a good game plan for the SECC game.. THough, as you might imagine most don't wish to burn up there welcome mat at UGA and that was about as deep as they got into it.

I saw one Podcaster with a UGA bent that said BAMA was worried about UGA (per Nick Saban) running against them and that they went to some type special run defense because of their fear UGA would run it down their throats but after the 1st series, they abandoned it and went back to their regular defense. They knew their front 4 could handle our O-line. "Thats how fast Saban makes adjustments." He showed it on film, the adjustments.

It was admitted by Aaron Murray that our receivers couldn't get separation from thier DB's.

No run game to speak of and no separation, or very little generally by receivers and a good pass rush by Bama, I still think CB played respectable for his trial by fire.

I think if we stop Milroe and we get the ball back with 2 minutes in the game, we pull it out. But of course that's speculation and hindsight now.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Opinion....

A. You're right about Bama, in one respect.... Their defense is one of the "perennially" best in the Nation. They practice everyday, against one of the biggest and best o-lines, in the Country.

And, Bama's lack of receivers, over the last 2 years, has them relying much more heavily on "the running game", to win....which means they get more practice at stopping the "running". Makes sense.

Ya gotta throw something at em, they aren't used to seeing...at the postseason level. Well-coached, is all I can say...Just like UGA. Saban is onto Kirby...and, Kirby is onto Saban. Lol...which is why their games are always melodramatic, physical and pivotal. You know?...a game that can be stolen with a few skewed Calls/No-Calls, from the officials.

B. IMO...a QB with a strong accurate arm, will never need to throw it over 60 yds.. The strong arm/quick release would allow him to fit passes into extremely tight windows. Which, to me, is much more valuable.

Bottom line...

Accuracy of Ball placement + Velocity to target = Complete passes

[Velocity to Target]...That's the most important aspect of the pass, to me. I don't have a good feel, for which QB has the strongest arm. I haven't seen a lot of film on any of em, to be honest.

I think Beck...like Bennett...was a baseball pitcher in youth ball, and HS. Accuracy...and Velocity.

A good indication of "velocity"...would be how far can he throw it...if he was asked to throw as far as he can? And, like the Pass/Punt/Kick Contest...how far off target centerline, when the ball hits grass. That's just "arm strength & accuracy", though.

I think...we all know, there's so much more to playing QB, than "arm talent".

Like I said...I haven't seen any of em...other than Beck and a little bit of GS.

What do you think of the recruits' "arm strength & accuracy"?

edited December 2023

Here's what they aren't saying, though... cause, then they'd have to explain themselves. And, most of em can't. They're just plagiarizing someone else opinion. Lol

They aren't saying...that UGA was injured and compromised along the LOS, from 1 WR to the other.

That dictates your "play-calling"...and, "gameplan". He did what Bama allowed them to do, with what he had to work with. Mims going down, during UGA's 2nd possession had as big an impact as the reduced health of the WR Room.

That was your "Saban Defensive Adjustment", right there. Losing Mims, that early in the gane...had the biggest impact on offensive ptlroduction...across the board, IMO.

Similar to what happened in the '21 Natty...when Jones replaced Salyer at LT, and Salyer moved to RG. That 1 move...made all the difference in the game. That's why Elite teams value linemen. The "win" begins and ends, in the trenches.

IMO...You can't judge Bobo on "that" game. He probably did a lot better than Monkin would've...as, they didn't lose by [17 points]². Lol

Same with Beck...You can't put that "fumble", at the Bama 11, solely on his shoulders. There's a lot of blame to go all-around, on that particular play. Play design and play call in that situation are highly questionable. That might be the one "ding" I have on Bobo, in the SECCG.

Why, PITCH/PASS the ball? At that range...why not just hand it off?. Did Bell take too shallow of a route [was he closer than they practiced]? Did he get there, too late/early [timing with a Freshman]?

I've watched that play, over and over, frame by frame...and, I'm still not sure if Beck or Bell were at fault...cause, I don't know what it was "supposed to look like". Lol

I do know this...if it was supposed to be a pitch or pass...either...Beck got there, too late and too deep...OR...Bell got there too late and too shallow. IF...it was "supposed" to be a pitch/pass.

Aaron Murray put the blame squarely on CB. I don't know, I'm kinda like you, it just didn't look right. But if you watch it closely you will see CB looks away from Bell as he is delivering the ball. He didn't watch it into Bell's possession. I don't even think he saw the fumble right away, as he made no move to go get the ball.

@BigDawg61

As far as arm strength, both look equal to CB, if not better. Accuracy looks good by both but you know they only show the completions and not the misses in their highlights. CB has a qucik release and seems to process things pretty well. CAnt give an opinion on GS or RP. GS is just a tough nut kid. Saw his film in a playoff with a tough Thomas Central (I believe) and they kept sacking him and he just got right back up and kept going. Looked like Rocky Balboa. He wouldn't tap out. Lot of respect.

• dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 397 ✭✭✭ Junior

Beck did pretty well his first year as an SEC starter. Hershel went to a small school in a small conference. He did pretty well when he got a chance to start.

Everything you say is really offensive to every SEC player who has not started a game in the SEC. A great man said that you learn to play (football) by playing.

Frankly, I'm more concerned with who's calling the plays from the booth.

You have a Merry Christmas.

He didn't see it and it took Bell an eternity to react. Lol

It was a play that required perfect timing & execution. Beck looking away, was part of the play's misdirection. He was supposed to look away as part of the play fake. That, I'm sure of.

I just don't get the pitch..particularly in that area of the field...with rookie RB.

One thing I know is true, the players know who thebest players are on the team. I recall what the players have said about others on the scout team, as in SB who emulated Baker Mayfield. He was shredding our number 1 defense back when it was becoming elite. I like listening to podcast where the current UGA players comment on their teamates who are up and coming. Same thing with Brock Bowers when he enrolled early. Players were saying, who is this guy?

A reference was made by Zion Logue on a podcast recently about how CJ Allen and I believe the Wlson kid when they came into the playoff practices last year, how fired up they were and attacking everyone and Logue said, some of the established players were going, "who are those guys?!"

The players know. THey will give you all the BS if asked directly about "we believe in all our QB's, all are great and Yada, Yada, next man up, but they know!