Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Alabama ‘safe’ hire on paper Kalen DeBoer is ironic and risky in reality

SystemSystem Posts: 10,521 admin
edited January 12 in Article commenting
imageAlabama ‘safe’ hire on paper Kalen DeBoer is ironic and risky in reality

ATHENS — Alabama has made its coaching hire, and it’s as ironic as it is ambitious.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    WoodrowWoodrow Posts: 86 ✭✭✭ Junior

I will give Beboer credit for having the Alpha jevos to take this job but having no ties int he south will hut Bama in recruiting. I can guarantee that there will be transfers a coming. I will take Binds for sure and Oatis.

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

When Saban was hired at LSU what were his ties to the South? None. He was coming from Michigan St and Toledo before that. It's funny you're writing an article about a risky hire of an outsider when at one time all this could've been said about Saban himself

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

Saban was also an assistant at Navy, Ohio St, Syracuse, and Kent St. The closest Saban had been to the South before LSU was West Virginia. 7 titles later I ask how did the lack of ties to the South hurt him? And that doesn't even include the debacle with the Dolphins between the Bayou Tigers and the Tide. I suppose if he had been born south of the Mason-Dixon line he would have have won 12 titles in the SEC

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

CClayC88, Saban hired Southern coaches that could recruit the southeast when he was at LSU, and when he first got to Bama, he had a losing record at Michigan State.

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Cojones aside he is in for a huge culture shock. And Bama fans are the most unforgiving in the country. Alabama has won 16 national championships, only Yale has won more. But Yale's last was in 1927. Alabama has won 13 since 1961. I have to agree with Spurrier in his 2 to 3 year assessment and I hate Spurrier.

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

Give the guy a break. They hired him. See what happens. Some of the names mentioned as former Saban’s assistants are in situations that they have cultivated and show great promise. They are under contracts for millions. How many millions does it take to live comfortably? Not everyone wants to go to Alabama because it is Alabama. They just might be able to do as well or better where they are. Ain’t that right Kirby?

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Do you have any more examples other than the best of all-time who worked with and under the most Super Bowl winning Belichek in the NFL?

Meyer? He didn't last long as his offense got figured out by SEC defensive coaches and as soon as the best player in college football, Tim Tebow, was not there to carry him, he seen the writing on the wall and quit for "health reasons".

Who else you other than the "GOAT".

Pardon me, the temporary GOAT. Kirby will take that after he wins Natty after Natty after Natty...

Anyway. One example. An extreme one. I mean sure this guy could be of the same cloth as Saban. Odds are very high though, that he is not.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

1st, Kirby is at Georgia because it is Georgia. Georgia is the current powerhouse and dynasty in college football. Who would leave that?

It is not that they didn't or wouldn't want to go Alabama because it is Alabama if they were offered, they sure would! Its because they were "safer" where they are. That simple. Alabama is a different beast that will take your career and devour it and quick if you fail. Because you have everything you need for success handed to you on a silver platter. There are NO EXCUSES IF YOU FAIL! Mr Deboer might find that his reality was that he was far safer where he was too.

Back to Kirby. Also Kirby grew up in Georgia. Kirby Smart graduated from UGA. Kirby Smart was a 1st team ALL-SEC PLAYER for UGA. He was a 4-time SEC Academic Honor Roll selection at UGA. His FIRST coaching job was at UGA under Jim Donnan. He bounced around for a few years and was a RB coach under Richt at UGA. Then he went and got trained by the master so he could come bring GLORY BACK TO HIS BELOVED ALMA MATER GEORGIA BULLDOGS!

Kirby was never an option for that job. Kirby's agent may have made the obligatory phone call and it lasted less than a minute. Kirby is in a category all by himself when it comes to former assistants. He, out of everybody on the planet though could replace Saban and easily. He is the best fit on the planet for that job. None of the rest were offered it or they knew deep down they could not handle it if they were. I am sure Swinney wasn't. I am sure Kiffin wasn't. 2 or 3 may have had a real chance like Lanning, Sark and Ryans. But they were in much safer situations and they were smart and stayed safe!

But Kirby is at home. Home. Unlike any other assistant. None of the rest are at home. There is zero consideration for him to take the Alabama job or any other job. Except maybe the NFL. And Alabama is not the NFL.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good article, Mike.

There is a big upside for him should he succeed at Alabama but success is defined as equalling or exceeding Saban at Saban's best. He won't be compared to Saban's weaker seasons.

It's possible this guy does a great job at Alabama. We'll see. Frankly, I'm not entirely sure that he's made a smart decision taking the job. He will have a long row to hoe especially considering the probably unrealistic expectations built into any deal with Alabama.

I've not seen anything about the money. Does he have JImbo's Golden Parachute Package™ to cushion the fall should he be great but not quite great enough to please the Gumps? What was he making at Washington? What will he make at Alabama?

Somehow this reminds me of Dan Mullen and Billy Napier.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good points, Mike. Alabama will likely spin it as DeBoer was their first choice, but everyone knows that someone from the tree of Saban was the desired option. The fact that none even interviewed for the job is telling.

I've read that "Saban will have an office in the building." Having the GOAT there and on-hand for advice early in the transition is a positive, but for how long. How long before DeBoer thinks it's too much?

I wonder if DeBoer really knows what he's signed up for. Coming in with the most talent in CFB already on-hand is a no excuses situation, the opposite of a rebuild where any failure will be reflected back on the new piece in the process. It's going to be something to see...

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The SEC is a different beast than the weak Pac12. If he makes it 3 years and no title, SEC or National at Bama, I'd be shocked if he isn't replaced..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SmartsTheMan I read that Saban's office will not be in the Athletic Building but in an Administrative Building and it's unclear how much time he will actually be in Tuscaloosa. He has filed for permanent residence in Florida.