Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Netflix review: Hitler and the Nazis: Evil on Trial

Comments

• BangersBangers Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I watched Episode 1 yesterday when running on the treadmill… really good so far. Thanks for the recommendation!

• donniemdonniem Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've finished # 2 so far. I can see how it can happen, even here, if conditions were right. Not saying they are - Hitler had a depression to help him make things look bad. So far, nothing quite that bad has happened again. Excellent series, thus far.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The US has never experienced anything even remotely close to what Germany went through post-WWI. Absolutely staggering poverty, pestilence, and total social-economic ruin. No sympathy because they caused it all. But it is easy to see how someone like Hitler could come to power. By the time everyone realized he was a psychopath it was too late. Most Germans didn't even know about the concentration camps till after the war.

Really, I think your average German on the street or foot soldier at the end of the war just saw him as a strong leader trying desperately to salvage the Motherland. Only his inner-circle knew he was a maniac (as were most of them….so they probably didn't recognize his evil). The fact that all of the defendants pleaded not-guilt at the teial and went down defiantly shows how committed they were at the time, and still were till the time of their death.

• Michael_ScarnMichael_Scarn Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I started watching it last night and it's good… even for a Netflix documentary.

• Michael_ScarnMichael_Scarn Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most people are not aware Japanese Generals committed acts of cannibalism during WWII. I won't go into detail, but they ate the flesh of American and British prisoners, because they believed it gave them special strength and powers. Additionally, on Papua New Guinea because of an American naval blockade the Japanese navy wasn't able to resupply Japanese troops, so they were left there to starve. When skirmishes occurred and an American soldier was killed the Japanese would drag the body over to their line and well…

• BangersBangers Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 13

I watched the second episode early this morning. It was very interesting to find out that even with the depression that Hilter and the Nazi party lost multiple elections, and that their attempt at taking control by force failed too. He was able to negotiate his way into power as Chancellor with elected leaders (Von Hindenburg) who thought they could control and use him. It was years and years of repeated propaganda, marketing, and rehearsed/staged speaking, along with the eventual conditioning of the elite's children that slowly won over and brainwashed the German people.

I was also interested to learn that his leadership style of presenting nebulous concepts to his cabinet who were responsible for crafting the power-mongering programs based on those concepts and the means of executing. I always assumed he was the sick mind behind it all, but really there were a bunch of other sick minds feeding the Nazi monster.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep. Crazy attracts crazy I guess. None of the defendants showed any remorse at the trial. They were all-in just like Hitler and sincerely thought they were doing the right thing for the Motherland, and the world as a whole. I kind of assumed that Hitler was a raging tyrant and his Generals and inner-circle advisors were simply too afraid to stop any of it. Turns out they were just as devoted to the cause as he was.

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 13

I haven't watched it and probably won't. I did a LOT of research on school on the Nazi's rise to power and the things that they did, trying to understand how people that were for the most part, well educated members of an modern civilization could commit such large scale horror. Like I said I did a LOT of research to the point that my sleep was haunted by nightmares for years. It a very deep rabbit hole the more I learned the worst it got and I don't think I more than scratched the surface. And the Japanese were just as bad just not as organized.

• CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That response is definitely an example of the Dunning-Kruger effect, there. 😁

• ypcregypcreg Posts: 293 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • donniemdonniem Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

CD - Ah, you are referring to the need for self-awareness and I couldn't agree more. To understand the why of our beliefs is so important. Especially, in these days of division.