Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Dropping the first kid off at College this week

2»

Comments

• BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

At least you’re prepared for “THAT” hug. But sorry to tell you, preparation won’t make much difference. Just let it out!

• donniemdonniem Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • wpony714wpony714 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 16

Lots of great points. Helicopter parenting has given way to snowplow parenting and it harms the kids. As soon as they experience failure, they don't know how to deal with it because they haven't been prepared.

"According to a survey by Resume Templates, 26 percent of those ages 18 to 27 brought along a parent to a job interview — and that’s just the beginning of the disturbing findings from the survey, conducted in April among 1,428 U.S.-based respondents who said they had searched for a job in the last year.

“Gen Z has a reputation for lacking the independence, motivation, and real-world knowledge to contribute in the workplace,” the employment resource provider said in a media release….

Of Gen Z’ers who brought their parent(s), 31 percent had a parent accompany them to an in-person interview, while 29 percent had them join a virtual interview.

“For those who had a parent come to an in-person interview, 37 percent say that their parent accompanied them to the office, 26 percent say their parent physically sat in the interview room, and 18 percent say their parent introduced themselves to the manager. Additionally, 7 percent say their parents answered questions.”

Just…..what….the….heck. They appear to be the least capable generation ever raised in America.

One other thing I've learned reading from other parents is that they get FAR more upset about things happening to their kids than the students do. Kids learn to take a lot of stuff in stride (unless they have the over-involved parent) whereas parents seem more likely to involve themselves without waiting to see if their child can resolve it on their own. Lots of parents shocked to find out that UGA won't talk to them and that the only access they have to their child's account is the part where you pay, lol.

I don't know how or exactly when the script flipped but we seem to have gone from the Greatest Generation to the neediest.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 16

can’t imagine my daughter asking me to come along to a job interview lmao

Edit: speaking of parents getting mad at stuff that doesn’t bother their kids have you seen the video of the parent attacking a wrestling ref because he warned his son not to use a dirty move again?

• donniemdonniem Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

did the son wrestle for Cobra Kai ?

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

you’ll all make it through. This is all part of being a parent

• Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Dawg1959Dawg1959 Posts: 13 ✭✭ Sophomore

Congrats! I dropped my first off to college last year, and yeah, it was a rollercoaster of emotions. Definitely had a few tears at the drop-off, but it got easier with time. Focus on the exciting parts—like the new adventures your kid will have. Afterward, my partner and I went out for a nice dinner to unwind. It really helped to have a little celebration for ourselves, too.