Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart

ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was a big Richt guy and Im a big Kirby guy so dont think I dont respect either. But I was recently thinking does Kirby have NFL coaching aspirations or is he a college lifer?

Comments

• Options
    DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hard to say further down the road, but honestly feel that he enjoys leading his alma mater as head coach and doesn't want any other job right now.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Thelordjohnson said:
    I was a big Richt guy and Im a big Kirby guy so dont think I dont respect either. But I was recently thinking does Kirby have NFL coaching aspirations or is he a college lifer?

I think his coaching style meshes with college players best. But no telling if he has NFL goals.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

He’s a recruiter... he had a taste of his mentor not excelling

Yes he had a cup of coffee in the league. Not sure how good the experience was for him.

• Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was just wondering if he ever saod anything or had a interview. Just suspicion you know?

• Options

I wonder if NFL money is all that much better than top college coaches make.

• Options

I wonder if NFL money is all that much better than top college coaches make.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

I think some of it depends on if the fanbase gets spoiled by success and we turn on him like Florida did Spurrier. That might push him to an NFL job

• Options

I always thought his move to the NFL was more about ego than anything else.

• Options
    Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s too early to tell. I think if he has yrs of wild success then he could consider it if he accomplished most of what he has hoped for. I hope that’s the scenario but I have no idea if he has those aspirations.

• Options
    ugadawgs07ugadawgs07 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I see Kirby coaching at UGA for a long time( not Bill Synder long). Then becoming UGA athletic director.

• Options
    mleemlee Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Lets not get ahead of ourselves just yet! He still hasn’t won the big one yet and that is no easy task.. I think if he keeps winning though and UGA pays him why leave? He has one of the best jobs in the country and the guy can recruit. You don’t get all that in the NFL...

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As long as we don’t get cheap like FSU and Kirby is winning there will be no problem. The biggest reason for Jimbo leaving was because the president and AD got cheap. If the big heads at Georgia pay him well and meet his demands he won’t leave.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Keep in mind who his mentor is. He still communicates with Saban. What would Saban's advice probably be? Well, CKS got to see it first hand... Hours are much longer and the pressure is much higher than in college.

He is a great motivator of young men, pros are so much different.

I hope he stays with us for as long as he wants if this is the effort he is able to perform with.

• Options

@bmauldin said:
    Keep in mind who his mentor is. He still communicates with Saban. What would Saban's advice probably be? Well, CKS got to see it first hand... Hours are much longer and the pressure is much higher than in college.

He is a great motivator of young men, pros are so much different.

I hope he stays with us for as long as he wants if this is the effort he is able to perform with.

Not sure the hours are that much longer. Maybe, due to recruiting and how much time that takes in the college game. But I do recall stories of pro coaches sleeping in their offices and such. (Dick Vermeil for example). I think each coach's level of motivation will be the chief determinant of how much time he spends at the job. I think Kirby is a work-a-holic type.

• Options

@Lefty said:
    Let's see live in Athens Ga. or in say Green Bay, Oakland, New York, Houston or Charlotte, to me it's a no brainer. I wouldn't touch the NFL with a 10 foot pole.

Lefty, Lefty. You mean if a huge contract was available to you that you wouldn't be tempted to grab that cash? Really? You could always do it until you got fired and then move back to Athens. As for Kirby, I think he loves it in Athens and would be content to stay here in the same way that Vince D. has.

• Options
    OldSaltyDawgFanOldSaltyDawgFan Posts: 220 ✭✭✭ Junior

or an 8 foot Lithuanian!